Why are other DAWs so expensive? Am I missing out on anything using reaper? It seems fine I don't see why other daws are hundreds of pounds.

Please enlighten me
That's because the guy who made reaper is nice enough to make a license for personal use (60$) but if you're a company you have to pay 250$ or such, much like all other professional DAWs. It's a great daw and the cheaper license is a great idea. Reaper has everything that a lot of people need.
Is Reapers MIDI still shit though? Also, for the record, I think cubase works better, but that's just personal preference, you shouldn't be upgrading from reaper, if it's right for you.

EDIT: And if it does everything you want it to in a way you like
Last edited by theepiczebra at Jul 4, 2010,
i've never used reaper, so i cant say for sure, but my guess would be mostly just ease of use. i'm sure reaper can do at least most of what better DAWs can do, but i know protools makes editing and tracking incredibly easy, fast, and efficient.

DAWs like Logic have a lot of very powerful instruments and tons of great sounds that come in the package.

also things like MIDI capabilities and ease of use, time stretching abilities, and ProTools HD's TDM plugins.

it's normally a lot of little things that set DAW's apart.
REAPER is alright for a "free" program but the MIDI editor is absolutely atrocious and I've never really felt that compelled to try out any of the plugins. If you're looking to use one of the DAW programs that are industry standard (Logic, Pro Tools etc) you're simply going to need to invest in one of them. I'm assuming you're on Windows so for you I'd say Cubase would be the way to go (comes with some pretty great plugins and presets)

I know it's cliche but you get what you pay for. If you've already got a decent collection of plugins that you've purchased from elsewhere and a program like REAPER works for you then there's no need to change but personally, I think the interface in REAPER is horrible and doesn't inspire me to want to record music at all, let alone stick with the program throughout the entire mixing process!
When it comes to working with MIDI, the higher end sequencers always win in my mind. They have a better layout and workflow for editing on those MIDI time grids and offer some really nice VST plugin instruments as well.

Reaper is a nice start but if you are serious about recording, I would upgrade when you have the cash. I personally still love Sonar Producer for MIDI work, Adobe Audition for audio work.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/Sequencer2.html
I've only used Reaper so I don't know what about the MIDI sequencer isn't great, but I'd like to try out some other programs and maybe use them for writing MID and then just import it into Reaper.
whichever one you work on, you really have to dig deep into it. all the best stuff about every one of those DAW's is not the obvious. it's all the little things that make life so much easier for the engineer. i highly recommend really taking the time to learn as much as you can about whichever one you use or are upgrading to.
Quote by moody07747
the nice thing about all the major programs is that the companies usually offer a 30 day trial so you can see what you enjoy working on before buying.

Yeah, but what do you like more about the MIDI editor in Sonar?
It's the layout of the tools and on screen grid that I enjoy best in Sonar compared to others out there. It's just another way of doing things and the layout that you enjoy working with. Try a few for a while and see what ya enjoy, it's the best way to go about picking the software for you.