So, for those of you who have done it, I'm just wondering... what's it like playing on a large stage at a music festival, or in an arena (lets say Staples Center, Long Beach Arena, etc.)? Also what's it like playing through their P.A. system? And what's it like being under their complex lighting system?

Just wondering. Never have done it. I may someday, as there's always a possibility--no matter how low--but yeah, I just wanted to get an idea.
I would love to play in front of a thousand people by the time I'm 25. That'll be awesome
It's amazing. All those people staring at you, wanting to be you, idolizing you. Everybody thinks "Hey, that guy is awesome!". Yet here nobody seems to know who I am.
PA system is meh, it feels for fun when playing through guitar amps but set up is hell so im lazy and i patch to the areas PAs
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
I played at a University Arena.

The lighting was awesome, but I didn't even notice while I was playing.
The sound was alright, once again, I didn't take a note of it while I was playing.

So many people, so big of a rush. haha.

It didn't hit me till I watched the footage of my band.
I've played a couple of big stages and at a festival. Its pretty fun...I like playing bigger shows with bigger stages, you can run around and really get into more.
There is no greater joy than soaring high on the wings of your dreams, except maybe the joy of watching a dreamer who has nowhere to land but in the ocean of reality.

I'm back!
Quote by The_Casinator
It's amazing. All those people staring at you, wanting to be you, idolizing you. Everybody thinks "Hey, that guy is awesome!". Yet here nobody seems to know who I am.

Who are you..?
Quote by Ssargentslayer
Who are you..?

You don't know? I'm one of the most famous guitarists in Europe!
It's really exactly the same as playing a shitty garage gig wwith your own equiptment. Unleeess everyone in the audience knows who you are, there is no difference to wherever you blay
I opened for some romanian pop band named Akcent. We were informed 21 hours before. Was our first proper gig too. We played 2 songs. We were excited as hell but when we got on stage it was a complete high.
Quote by Afroboy267
[something about NiL having an std]

[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Funny you should say that, when I contracted gonorrhea, I peed almost a mist when I woke up that morning. That's actually how I noticed something was wrong.
Depends on the gig. Sometimes it's great and sometimes you want to poke peoples eyes out.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by The_Casinator

Europe? Never heard of it. Nice try kid,

Take him away!
Quote by Ssargentslayer
Europe? Never heard of it. Nice try kid,

Take him away!

5 people viewed my profile to find out.
I was hated and despised, but I didn't even care. Cuz at the end of the day, all I could say to myself was, "Wow, I just played Chop Suey at a formal dinner of 200 forty-year-olds".
Quote by The_Casinator

Are you the guitarist from Europe?
Quote by Jackal58
Depends on the gig. Sometimes it's great and sometimes you want to poke peoples eyes out.

True.

I've been in the supporting band for some pretty big acts, sometimes, even though the audience is huge, they pretty much ignore you just because you are the support act and that feels pretty crappy, like banging your head against a wall, but sometimes the audience really likes what you do and gives you a great reception, and when that happens, it makes all the crappy gigs worthwhile.
Really great man. I had a blast on Wacken playing live on Main Stage last year. And all the fest I have been pretty amazing stuff dude.
I guess it'll depend massively if the audience wants to be there or not. I did A Level music performance and each performance would be to around 100 people, so it's not massive but it was during school time, and it'd be a class of lower years. You could tell they'd much prefer to be somewhere else. Whereas I played another gig to around the same amount and all of them had paid to see us. Biggest rush I've ever had haha. Just cuz everyone was having a good time
The biggest gig i played was to about a 500+ venue. Big PA and big lighting rig.

The experience of soundcheck and setup is much more stressful, especially if there's more than 1 band.
Less time to do everything and much more to do and you have to work with people you've never met, and you don't always agree what's the best, so compromises have to be made to your set/setup.sound.

My experience was although you have a great set of monitors and feedback, I found it much harder to hear everything on stage compared to smaller sets. The PA is way louder than your amp so you rely on monitors, and unless you have hours to soundcheck chances are it won't be perfect for each member, you just have to make do.

Lighting I don't really care about, we had no say in it... it just made the stage really fecking hot!

Overall, it's exciting and fun, but I prefer the small stage myself
Last edited by vitchb at Jul 4, 2010,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
True.

I've been in the supporting band for some pretty big acts, sometimes, even though the audience is huge, they pretty much ignore you just because you are the support act and that feels pretty crappy, like banging your head against a wall, but sometimes the audience really likes what you do and gives you a great reception, and when that happens, it makes all the crappy gigs worthwhile.

Apathy from a crowd never bothered me as much as arrogant venue managers and ignorant stage crew. If it's an apathetic crowd you just do your hour and leave.

Quote by leg end
I guess it'll depend massively if the audience wants to be there or not. I did A Level music performance and each performance would be to around 100 people, so it's not massive but it was during school time, and it'd be a class of lower years. You could tell they'd much prefer to be somewhere else. Whereas I played another gig to around the same amount and all of them had paid to see us. Biggest rush I've ever had haha. Just cuz everyone was having a good time

I never played in a prison.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
Apathy from a crowd never bothered me as much as arrogant venue managers and ignorant stage crew. If it's an apathetic crowd you just do your hour and leave.

Always the best approach, and I agree about the arrogant venue managers and ignorant stage crew, but just occasionaly you meet some guys you could happily work with forever.

My band once played a theatre gig at the Lochgelly Centre in Lochgelly, Scotland, and one of the stage hands met me in the wings as I was coming off stage with a beer and a joint, both held out for me to take on the way back to the dressing room, like someone holding out a bottle of water for a marathon runner.

Whaddaguy.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 4, 2010,
My bands just been asked to headline a festival at a Motorcross track, i'll let you know after that.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Always the best approach, and I agree about the arrogant venue managers and ignorant stage crew, but just occasionaly you meet some guys you could happily work with forever.

My band once played a theatre gig at the Lochgelly Centre in Lochgelly, Scotland, and one of the stage hands met me in the wings as I was coming off stage with a beer and a joint, both held out for me to take on the way back to the dressing room, like someone holding out a bottle of water for a marathon runner.

Whaddaguy.

I think I met that guy in Athens Ga.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
I think I met that guy in Athens Ga.

Was he Scottish with a droopy moustache and did he wobble a bit when he walked?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Was he Scottish with a droopy moustache and did he wobble a bit when he walked?

I think this guy was Jamaican. Probably his brother.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Yes it was.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Well, sometimes it's good.. Sometimes not so good.. I've always disliked playing through the P.A systems though. I dunno if it's just me but I can never seem to hear myself playing.

And for the audience.. Sometimes it seems as if they enjoy the music, while sometimes.. They kinda just.. stand there?
And sometimes they all leave.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by SlackerBabbath
And occasionaly some of them throw things and shout obscenities at you.

I'd rather dodge bottles than watch the room empty. Fortunately I only had the room empty on me once. And occasionally some dummy will throw a full one at you.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi