Hello Pit!

For my English Assignment I need to write a piece of creative writing.

After much debate, a bit of banging my head against the wall and many shitty ideas I decided to write a poem; the poem will be about war and the psychological effects it can have on people, and how it can change people.

I am a novice at lyric writing and poetry but if I can get this right I think this could be a great piece.

Does anyone have any tips for me on how to write poetry/lyrics (seeing as they're so similar).

Thankyou!
Quote by Ruination
I do genuinely love her, and not just because I like her breasts you know?
Even though it's not a song, it would probably be more helpful to ask the Lyrics/Songwriting forum. They would be the most knowledgeable.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Rip it off War - Burzum. 10/10 assured.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Just start with an awesome line, like:
War, war never changes.
And then just tell something like "Cas doesn't change either, he'll always be super sexy"
That will result in a good poem.
Make a brainstorm of concepts and words related to the topic you are writing about.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Write something like this:

http://www.english.emory.edu/LostPoets/Dulce.html

EDIT: Also, write streams of seemingly unconnected words. If they claim it makes no sense, just tell them they "don't get it".

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Last edited by Kilobyte at Jul 4, 2010,
Go postmodern on their ass and write a stream-of-consciousness poem with lots of difficult words making very little sense.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
I know its a little old now but you could always read some Sassoon or Brooke? They are sure to give you a few ideas.
Read some Kipling or Tennyson.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Look at pieces like Mental Cases by Wilfred Owen for inspiration, it brilliantly observes the dehumanising mental effects of the Great War. Afterwards by Margaret Postgate Cole is a good one, too; she describes the way her husband returned almost soulless, broken and tainted by the war. A nicely different perspective of that to Owen.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
And you could add some sad truths, something like "Two innocent will fall for every guilty that will die."
Quote by Mister.Y
Go postmodern on their ass and write a stream-of-consciousness poem with lots of difficult words making very little sense.

I did this once for an english class assignment. Just get a bunch of word from Bad Religions The Empikre Strikes First album and throw them together. They love it. Or just steal Hero Of War, and you're golden
Quote by freddaahh
Look at pieces like Mental Cases by Wilfred Owen for inspiration, it brilliantly observes the dehumanising mental effects of the Great War. Afterwards by Margaret Postgate Cole is a good one, too; she describes the way her husband returned almost soulless, broken and tainted by the war. A nicely different perspective of that to Owen.

It is the latter of your examples I am trying to get across.

I'm trying to portray how war drags the life and soul out of the soldiers and how the scars that war gives them are unrecoverable.

I also want to depict that it is the weakest and the most innocent in war that become worst off - the great causers - the governmental figures - are the ones who are never hurt but the husbands and fathers decieved into a life of treachery which will eventually take over their life.
Quote by Ruination
Quote by sooperduper19
I did this once for an english class assignment. Just get a bunch of word from Bad Religions The Empikre Strikes First album and throw them together. They love it. Or just steal Hero Of War, and you're golden

Hmm....
Quote by Ruination
Quote by Jackal58
Read some Kipling or Tennyson.

Yeah, especialy Tennyson's "The Charge of the Light Brigade" and Kipling's "The Last of the Light Brigade."

They should really inspire you.
I can't really recommend Tennyson, myself, despite Light Brigade being a wonderful piece, it doesn't seem to fit here, his poetry is all a bit too Victorian and grand. It feels very antiquated, whereas Owen is still relevant.

Quote by jimbojetuk
It is the latter of your examples I am trying to get across.

I'm trying to portray how war drags the life and soul out of the soldiers and how the scars that war gives them are unrecoverable.

I also want to depict that it is the weakest and the most innocent in war that become worst off - the great causers - the governmental figures - are the ones who are never hurt but the husbands and fathers decieved into a life of treachery which will eventually take over their life.

You may want to read Sigfried Sassoon's 'Declaration' then, it's not a poem, rather a protesting speech which was read in Parliament during the War, but it does give a rather good sense of the abuse of power in the war.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
War
Gives me happy feelings
It brings me many wives

Then I kill the wives
Then I blow myself up
To Kill infidels
Then I go and get many virgins

It's a good thing their virgins
The wives are too loose from repeated banging
With my giant camel dick.
Virgins not loose yet.

Use that poem, but make it an actual poem, not random crap I wrote in 5 seconds.
plagiarise some bobby d lyrics brah
Quote by Metalology
You'll probably get some praise from people in as sad of a situation as you or maybe some laughs from people who enjoy your lame sense of humor.

lolwut

a blog that should be floating in the toilet. toiletfloater.blogspot.com