Hello everyone!

I'm a little bit confused so I just want a bit explaining to me if possible?

If you have an audio file with a high bitrate such as an FLAC or WAV file when you import it into itunes does it retain its high bitrate OR does it get converted to an .mp3 with around 128kbps rate? I don't mean ripping a CD I mean if the file is already on your hard drive and you import it into itunes?

If itunes does automatically compress your music like this can you guys recommend a media player that does not do this and accepts high bit rate files? It would be good if it accepts ipod synching as well.

I really appreciate all explanations and help!
Quote by no lolage
It would be good if it accepts ipod synching as well.

I think only iTunes does that.

And is it really necessary to have a higher bitrate? I think iTunes works fine.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
In iTunes, you can go into preferences and choose format and bitrate. It's got MP3, AAC, AIFF, WAV and Apple Lossless encoders, and you can choose bitrate from 128 to 320kbps for MP3 and AAC, with the option of variable bitrate too. You're not just limited to 128kbps.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Those settings are for CD imports, I mean literally if you're just adding a file to itunes. I think I'll probably start using winamp because it says it's compatible with FLAC files and stuff so hopefully it won't compress everything when i import?
Quote by no lolage
Those settings are for CD imports, I mean literally if you're just adding a file to itunes. I think I'll probably start using winamp because it says it's compatible with FLAC files and stuff so hopefully it won't compress everything when i import?

it doesn't change the format if you just add a file to itunes, unless it's a WMA.

Oh really? Because that's what I've been wondering. Are you absolutely sure that if I import a high quality file into itunes it wont just turn it into an mp3 and decide to save it with a lower bit rate?
Quote by no lolage
Oh really? Because that's what I've been wondering. Are you absolutely sure that if I import a high quality file into itunes it wont just turn it into an mp3 and decide to save it with a lower bit rate?

Why would it do that? Is iTunes some kind of horrible conspiracy to lower the quality of sound files?
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I don't trust it really. I'm serious haha. Basically I just want to be absolutely certain that I don't have rubbishy lossy audio quality. That's all.
Quote by no lolage

entirely and completely sure. If it's a format iTunes can play, it won't change it. If it's a format iTunes can't play it won't let you import it, unless it's WMA, in which case it'll re-encode it using your CD import settings.

honestly, foobar2000 is the best player and easiest way to go.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
MediaMonkey's brilliant if you haven't got a well organised library. It'll organise it for you however you want. It's got brilliant import settings too.
hello