Page 1 of 2
I thought I'd look into some of these really well known guitarists and listen to their stuff so I can make up my mind about them. Listened to Satriani, got bored, Steve Vai was mediocre and then I remembered that stupid looking guy with the bucket on his head. Buckethead! I thought it was gunna be all shredding and metal stuff but I've just put on a track called padmasana and it's blown me away... I mean, it's nothing like I thought it'd be. I quite like it. Similar experiences?
bands like Slightly Stoopid, Dirty Heads, and Reel Big Fish surprised me. i thought id like a few songs by each. i really started listening to them and realized they are actually very talented
Electric Tears and Colma Albums by Buckethead are Masterpeices imo, great stuff. That guy really suprised me with his style when i first heard him.
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
if you talk about those first two artist liek that you have something against the state of new york

and much against the island Long Island

People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Also, check out Population Override. His best and most consistent album thus far.
Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
Journey
Tool
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Cant say i ever took much of a shining to Satch, But hearing "For the love of god" by Vai for the first time made my ear's Gasm :P

As for buckethead, He's my all time favourite... he has such a huge span on genre's, and some of his slow stuff is incredibly touching... Like his latest album for instance, it was incredible (:
Satch's "Always With Me Always With You" was what made me serious about learning guitar. I don't think I can give greater credit to him than that.
Also seconding "For the Love of God" by Vai.

On more mainstream bands I'll have to say Muse. First I heard Invincible and thought it was quite the awesome song, heard a couple of their other songs on the radio but they never stuck with me. Then I listened through "The Resistance", their newest album. It sucked. Big time.
I didn't really think I would like Muse all that much, but one of my friends kept telling me to try out their stuff again. I eventually got around to buying their live album and it blew me away. I just loved the songs on that album and kept listening to it over and over again. Now I really love Muse, and I would love to see them in concert.

Resistance still sucks though...
HAHA, no seriously. What DO you use a signature for?
I thought My Bloody Valentine was a metalcore band, and therefore I would despise them, so never listened to them.

Then I finally did listen to "Soon", and I'm like "Hey, this isn't metalcore, this is shoegaze, and this is awesome."

No idea why I thought they were metalcore.
Necrophagist. I mean, if I had to wait even a few more decades for their new album, I totally wouldn't mind.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Nicolai_Nebel
Satch's "Always With Me Always With You" was what made me serious about learning guitar. I don't think I can give greater credit to him than that.
Also seconding "For the Love of God" by Vai.

On more mainstream bands I'll have to say Muse...

I'll second that aswell, MUSE have come a long way, i wasnt that keen on the latest album, but change is good i suppose... I liked The Resistence though >.<

the Mars Volta. The vocals sort of kept me away for a bit, then I gave their albums a proper listen. Great stuff.
Scale the Summit, i was quite pleased. Except their production quality that is horrible
Scale

The
Summit

Originally Posted by Guitarbaddie
Dude, she's like 12, what is wrong with you?

Originally Posted by RockGuitar92
You're the one who came on her face.

Ours
The Mars Volta
John Mayer
Streetlight Manifesto
Kid Cudi
Hacride
Gojira
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
I was surprised when I first started listening to Axel Rudi Pell. I had him down as Vai/Malmsteen kinda shredder, but he actually writes some amazing songs and has Johnny Gioeli and Jeff Scott Soto on vocals, great stuff

Quote by crazy8rgood
I thought My Bloody Valentine was a metalcore band, and therefore I would despise them, so never listened to them.

Then I finally did listen to "Soon", and I'm like "Hey, this isn't metalcore, this is shoegaze, and this is awesome."

I had a similar experience with The Birthday Massacre. Judging from their name, and the fact that I saw a Big Issue salesman wearing one of their hoodies, I thought they'd be a full on metal band, turns out they're actually quite poppy, and are actually awesome
Vampire Weekend. The name threw me, I thought it would be some neo gothic industrial shit, but I was pleasantly surprised when I turned on their first album.

Infected Mushroom - I was told psytrance, but only heard trance, and so I had a completely inaccurate preconception of how they would sound.
Between the Buried and Me
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race towards an early grave.

Ah! And sorry 'bout my mediocre english. D:

pleasantly surprised every time.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Classical guitar composers. I thought I would find all the songs incredibly boring and overall uninteresting but now I absolutely love it.
Quote by leg end
Just bought Buckethead's album Electric Tears. It's pretty incredible...

You could also try Crime Slunk Scene if you haven't.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Radiohead. I was under the impression that it was all just Thom Yorke wailing for an hour, but then I listened to Kid A and hurrrhghgblurhgghgrgritssogood....
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
I was the same with Buckethead, I'm really not into shredding stuff but after hearing electric tears and colma I completely changed my mind about Buckethead. I think he gets a bad rep for being just another guy who shreds on guitar, when really he has much more to his music. Friends always give me a hard time when I tell them to listen to Buckethead.

Anyways, on topic , I would have to say a lot of jazz stuff like Miles Davis. For a long time I didn't really give jazz music the credit it deserved but after constantly seeing Kind of Blue on people's lists of the greatest albums of all time I decided to give it a full listen and it was a pleasant surprise.
The Cure, I thought it was all going to be awful 'lets cry for a bit' music, but it's pretty good stuff. Same with Radiohead. And REM.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by crazy8rgood

You were thinking of Bullet for My Valentine, easy to get the names confused

As for Buckethead, check out "The Elephant Man's Alarm Clock" for some catchy, heavier riffing, or "Population Override" for some hypnotizing music that will turn you into jelly. Also, check out the Deli Creeps or Praxis if you like Buckethead's weirder stuff.

Anyways, I used to detest "emo" music, but Cap'n Jazz and a few other pioneering "emo" bands kind of turned me on to that style of music (not that I have a thing for hot topic eyeliner pop, though)
Steve Vai, actually. I had heard a whole bunch of stuff about him, so I decided to search him up on youtube. He's now my second favorite artist at the moment. He's inspired a lot of my music, along with gilbert and satriani.

Paul Gilbert also pleasantly surprised me, with a lot of his stuff. I discovered him the same way I did Vai. He's my absolute favorite artist right now.
The Black Keys
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
BtBaM - Thought they'd just be pretentious Emo-Core at first. I was wrong.

Neutral Milk Hotel - Listened to them because of the album art of In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. Thought they'd be a Nirvana rip-off, only not as good. Turns out they're better than Nirvana, and not influenced by them that much.

Gojira - Listened to them because of the album art of From Mars to Sirius. Thought it'd be just some stupid Death Metal with "progressive" touches. They're actually a great band.

Radiohead - Listened to them because of my guitar teacher and a friend insisting I do so. Thought they'd be average Pop-Rock. They're actually an amazing band.

Camel - Thought they'd be a mediocre 70's band. Boy, was I wrong.

Slayer - I didn't like them that much at first. Then, my 6 year old brother started to like them, and I got hooked.

Pantera - Didn't like them either at first, but I started to listen to them because of my cousin. They're good, they're good.

Gorgoroth - Started listening to them in my Black Metal period, about a year ago. Thought they'd be just like Mayhem. They're actually a great Black band, probably the best around.

N.W.A - Listened to them in my Rap period, about 5 years ago. Thought they'd be a sucky, average Rap band. They're amazing.

Death - Listened to them at the recommendation of a friend. Thought they'd suck, like Cannibal Corpse. They're one of the best Death bands around, close to Opeth.
Last edited by jimmyled at Jul 4, 2010,
I originally thought that Children of Bodom was going to be another mediocre metalcore band.

I was wrong. I love their stuff now.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by TMF128 at Jul 4, 2010,
I was surprised by Wilco the first time I heard them. Mainly because of the fact that they were so much softer then most of the stuff I enjoy yet they were still bad ass.
Also when I first got into Froosh's solo work I assumed it would sound alot like his work with the Chili peppers. Don't get me wrong the Chilis are one of my favorite bands, but his solo work is like a constant eargasm.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I'm pretty sure I was pleasantly surprised at most bands that I like now. I don't know what to expect when listening to a band for the first time, so if it turns out to be good, then it's always a pleasant surprise.

I guess the most significant one for me would be Ozzy Osbourne. I'd heard the name a lot without really knowing who he was. I never really imagined that I would be a fan of Ozzy. Then I heard "Crazy Train" and thought it was awesome. He's one of my favourite artists now (except the "Scream" album sucks, in my ignorant opinion).
Quote by soxfan932
bands like Slightly Stoopid, Dirty Heads, and Reel Big Fish surprised me. i thought id like a few songs by each. i really started listening to them and realized they are actually very talented

Same here. I also thought Iration would only have 1 good song, but their new album only had 1 song I didn't enjoy.
Mr. Butlertron are you A handsome B smart C scrap metal or D all of the above
Scangrade thats easy I'm A and B but not C, so it can't be all of the above, but you can't fill in two ovals Nooo!
Mr. Butlertron the answer is C... you fuckwad
Page 1 of 2