I have been looking for a jazz guitar for a few months now, and I've finally narrowed it down to two options. First is the Gretsch 5120, a very classic hollowbody guitar, gets great tone and seems very playable. In my area the Gretsch sells for $680 and comes with a free hard case. My other option is a Fender American Special HSS Strat, which sells for $800. I like the tone that the strat gets, and it would be a much more versatile guitar, as it comes with two single coil pickups and then a humbucker by the bridge. Both get great jazz sounds but the strat gets a little more edge to the tone. Which one should I go with?
5120's are fantastic. I play one every week at my local shop, and I told the guy to hold onto because in a few weeks I could afford it. But if you NEED versatility, get the Strat
The versatility would be nice, I'm a highschool student with a part time job so I don't really have the money to buy a lot of different guitars for separate styles.
being that how jazzy your sound is is entirely dependent on your guitar I would suggest a new amp.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
You can play jazz on really anything, so go with the one you like better. It's easier to work with a strat though, in case you want to get different pickups, etc.
That's true, I've just been looking for a classic jazz guitar though, and these two really caught my eye. I spent two hours today just switching off between the two at my local guitar center and I still can't make the decision.
Well I wouldn't call either of them classic jazz guitars. The Gretsch is more of a rockabilly cliché, the strat is usually played in all kinds of rock and pop music. To me, a true classic jazz guitar is a hollowbody with only a neck pickup and a floating - no whammy - bridge. I personally never cared for that jazz axe snobbery, even though the 5120 is a lot closer to that image. lol So if you don't want the practicality and the versatility of the Strat cause you're sure you're not gonna crank the gain, get the Gretsch.
I've got wood right now

plus your wrong. Thinking about tone as a 2 dimensional linearity is just so passé. If anything it's a self regenerating recursive ouroborus propagating through time. get with the quantum era already.

Either way, I'm frankly goddamn sick of that myth that a new amp will fix everything. Yes, the amp colors your tone, but no, it's not the only thing. It's not even necessarily the most important, especially when OP didn't even ask about amps.
Simply put, a bad guitar will sound good through a good amp. A good guitar will sound bad through a bad amp. The amp is at least 80% of your tone. If you have a cheap amp, then don't expect a nice guitar to sound amazing.

If you need versatility, then go with the Strat. Contrary to what has been said on this thread, Strats are actually very simple, and don't require all that much know-how to set up. If Jazz is your passion, and you want a Jazz guitar, then get the Gretsch. I personally would go with the Strat. You can play Jazz on it, as well as just about any other musical style. (With the exception of Metal)
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
I mean the problem is that if u want to play jazz u want an amp that's gonna stay clean no matter what guitar u plug in. I just don't understand what makes a guitar jazz. Like nome of those guitars are particularly jazzy. I mean obviously u probably wouldn't want modern actives eve though sevens and actives were first pioneered by jazz guys. But regardless changing ur amp will get u the tones much better then getting another guitar.