Hey guys,

I just bought a Blackstar ht distx and I am not quite happy with the sound I am getting out of it. I listened to some sound samples on youtube of the same pedal which sounded amazing, but I just can't dial in a nice tone that would justifiy the 200 bucks I payed for it.

I just have the feeling that the pedal doesn't have enough gain and the chug that you would get, when palm muting your strings is straight up missing.

I KNOW that playing my amp through headphones could be the reason for my sound problems but I am still wandering if it is the pedal that isn't working.

I am using an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and through a blackstar ht 5 combo.
I also tried a nove drive pedal as a tube screamer but that didn't do the trick.

Has anyone an idea for why I have this problem? Is it the guitar, the low volume or the pedal?

PS: Right now, I can't play without my headphones since my roommates would kill me if I would do so
You don't actually want that much gain as it can make the chugging a little loose and sloppy. Turn the gain down a bit (not loads, just not over the top gain), high bass, high treb, low mids. If you're still not getting it then maybe you should try some new pups. The epi standard stock pups aren't exactly perfect for this kind of playing, and can easily get muddy and bland instead of hot and thick like you want for this style.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
A Blackstar Dist-x is a distortion pedal, so surely that would be best used on the clean channel, but that would defeat the point of the Blackstars inbuilt distortion which I believe has that pedal incorporated in to it so I'm a bit confused on why you bought it?

I have the same amp, and a similar styled guitar and basically, if i put a OD in front of it, it can get quite heavy (early metallica. hair metal etc.) but you won't get that chugga chugga you're looking for, you need to get some higher output pickups I reckon.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Stop dicking around with the pedal and use the amp. Flip the ISF all the way to the left, set treble at noon, scoop the mids to almost nothing, and put the bass at three o’clock. Rroll the volume off on your guitar a little to clean up the random noise, and then start rolling the gain back from three o’clock until you’re happy.
Quote by jpnyc
Stop dicking around with the pedal and use the amp. Flip the ISF all the way to the left, set treble at noon, scoop the mids to almost nothing, and put the bass at three o’clock. Rroll the volume off on your guitar a little to clean up the random noise, and then start rolling the gain back from three o’clock until you’re happy.

Please no.

The DisX gain only needs to be between 11-1 oclock.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by silly hats
Please no.

Damn right, my guitarist uses his DistX at 12 oclock and has tons of chug. Try setting the ISF to the left instead of the right. My HT-Dist has enough gain for chug so a DistX should be able to do it well
Quote by silly hats

Did you miss the first sentence where I told him to just use the amp?
Quote by jpnyc
Did you miss the first sentence where I told him to just use the amp?

I was talking about the pedal and pedal is almost the same as the HT preamp. It also isn't very middy sounding as it is so loosing the mids won't sounds very good. Thats all I said.

Theres no need to make anything more of it.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I know that the build in distortion and the Distx are basically the same. And that is why I bought the Distx in the first place. The way I saw it was, that by adding the pedal to my rig would theoretically give me a 3 channel Blackstar amp (sounds silly...I know :-D)

The peadl just doesn't sound like the amp distortion at all. It sounds very compressed and has some wierd noise issues as soon as I turn the volume up to 1 o'clock.
I am just wondering if the Valve is broken or my pedal is faulty since it sounds very muddy at times.