Poll: when is a movement offically dead?
Poll Options
View poll results: when is a movement offically dead?
Once the big corportations take notice and dumb it down for the mainstream
3 9%
Shitty bands jumping on the bandwagon and oversaturating the genre
9 26%
The moment its overground it loses the purity it once had
2 6%
Once the first wave of bands from that era move on to try different things
1 3%
Real movements never really die
20 57%
Voters: 35.
when does a musical movement die? is it officially dead once its co-opted by big corporations and dumbed-down for the mainstream? is it oversaturation that kills it? does a movement die the moment its overground?

take punk for example: if you think punk is dead, when do you think it died and what do you think killed it?
When nobody gives a crap about it anymore I assume
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I chose the last one, because I think that even if the movement seems dead, it can be revived years later.
I deem a movement done when I wipe.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
When it stops moving!

Ohh hooo hoooo

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by UntilISleep
I chose the last one, because I think that even if the movement seems dead, it can be revived years later.

If disco comes back I'm going to hunt you down and kill you with a goldfish.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Punk has collapsed into itself, and subsequently has become hard to define. No two people can agree on what is "real" punk and what isn't. However, I would not say that punk is dead.

I think a movement dies when everyone who was once a part of it dies or gives up.
Even if there is only one person who still supports a particular movement, then theoretically the movement is still going, it's just not popular.

However, it often becomes hard to find the distinction, as with punk. Everyone takes the movement in different directions. I guess it dies when it disperses into a bunch of individual philosophies, rather than a big collective movement.
Quote by Jackal58
If disco comes back I'm going to hunt you down and kill you with a goldfish.

If disco comes back I will help you kill me with a goldfish.
Quote by Jackal58
I deem a movement done when I wipe.

Quote by UntilISleep

That too.
Last option, but the first two options can both destroy the original message of any movement, and go hand in hand with each other.
Quote by AzureNight
Last option, but the first two options can both destroy the original message of any movement, and go hand in hand with each other.

They can, but likewise they can also mark the height of the movement. The peak before the decline.

Surely, when "big corporations" take notice and thousands of followers of the movement emerge, it means that the movement has become in some way significant?
Quote by damian_91
When nobody gives a crap about it anymore I assume

This, I guess
Quote by CFH82
Ejaculate in MY moustache?!

Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.ಠ_ಠ