Page 1 of 2
Hello all, I sold most of my rig to get a new car.

Anywho, I will be playing guitar for my cousin's church band. What type of amp (head or combo) do you suggest?

Im currently Using a 2006 MIM Fender standard Telecaster.
My price range is $200-500ish. I prefer tubed.
It needs to have sparkling cleans and some gritty crunch. Not really looking for a straight distortion, just something thats very crunchy.

Something like the amps this band is using: (this is the sound we are going for)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zslw6WulFo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we4t0fAnGBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8qGZ6vSWvI

Im looking at brands like Fender and Vox. If you have any other suggestions let me know!

Thanks all!
Peavey Classic 30 maybe? They're $600 new but you can get them for around 300-400 used.

You could also find a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for around that price too. The guitarist in my church's band uses one and it sounds amazing.
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Last edited by rocknrolldude43 at Jul 20, 2010,
Vox AC30/15.

One of the hillsong guitarists uses an AC30 and the other a deluxe reverb I think.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
I play much of the same stuff, and I use a Vox AC15. I'd also say maybe a Classic 30 or possibly a Fender Blues Jr.
Quote by AlecMag
You have made a potentially boring thread epic. Be proud.

Quote by rabidguitarist
deanwad could be right, actually.

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by deanwad
I play much of the same stuff, and I use a Vox AC15. I'd also say maybe a Classic 30 or possibly a Fender Blues Jr.

Sweet man, thank you everyone for the help!

Would a AC15 be good to play for crowds ranging from 100-600?
The church band plays at other churches, sometimes mega churches.
Would the 15 watts be sufficient for the rest of the band to hear? and when cranked will it have good headroom?

There's another guitarist in the band and he uses a blues junior, the other guitarist just plays acoustic going thru a gibson amp, then there's a bassist, drummer and a female and male vocalist.

Thanks everyone
If you play at huge churches chances are they have a PA system they can mic you too. Always contact the music minister ahead of time to get a proper stage layout setup.

EDIT: As far as the rest of the band hearing you, check to see if they have floor monitors at the front of the stage facing back. That's what they are for.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Last edited by cdr_salamander at Jul 5, 2010,
Quote by tonyd927
Sweet man, thank you everyone for the help!

Would a AC15 be good to play for crowds ranging from 100-600?
The church band plays at other churches, sometimes mega churches.
Would the 15 watts be sufficient for the rest of the band to hear? and when cranked will it have good headroom?

There's another guitarist in the band and he uses a blues junior, the other guitarist just plays acoustic going thru a gibson amp, then there's a bassist, drummer and a female and male vocalist.

Thanks everyone

The 15w will be fine for people to hear. The blues junior is 15W as well. You will always have enough headroom if you mic your amp, and maybe not a ton if you have it cranked...

I do mixing for churches a lot and 99% of the time we mic the amps. If all you want are good cleans then a BJ wouldn't be a bad choice but the AC15C1 is great for that sparkly hillsong sound, albeit they have 30s so they have a lot more headroom. Again its all in the mixing and stuff...

Go out and try these amps because I think that's the best way to answer those questions, it's hard to convey some of that stuff over a forum.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
awesome! im definitely looking into the AC15 then. 9/10ths of the shows we will be playing will be mic'd so im no longer worried about that. I was just worried it wouldnt be enough to play smaller halls like small clubs or bars or larger venues like Toads Place or the Webster Theater in CT. or even be able to be heard distinctively over a full band.
Any other suggestions?
All hands are pointing at the vox at this point.
Im not sure you would be able to get an AC15 for under $600 would you? nigel hendroff (hillsong guitarist) uses vintage AC15's, thats why his sound so awesome, as well as his amazing effects rack haha. but i would be looking toward fender hot rod deluxe, great little amps. or if you wanted to consider a solid state, a relatively new brand is out called "blackstar". they are making some really sweet gear.
oh, and i forgot to say, if you can get a decent AC15 for that price, go for it, they are probably the best thing for church
wat

Used AC15s go for under $600 all day. And the HT series of Blackstar amps is hybrid but the others are all tube IIRC.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Is it the Church of Satan? A double rectifier should do the trick.

Sorry... I know, useless post is useless...

Useless poster is useless too...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

The hell is a double rectifier?

Useless poster is useless and also uninformed
You can get a NEW AC15C1 for $600, which I'd definitely go for over the AC15CC1
Quote by As_I_Lay_living
The hell is a double rectifier?

Useless poster is useless and also uninformed

a very loud box with jillions of knobs on it, manufactured by mesa/boogie
Quote by stykerwolf

A Dual Rectifier?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
You could try a Fender Blues Junior. The clean headroom stays until about 6 on the volume with single coils. Then you can turn the master volume up until it is loud enough (7 or so with the input volume on 6 is LOUD). This should get you a tone that is clean, but on the verge of breakup if you pick hard (for worship, this is what you want). Then you can slam the front end of the amp with an overdrive pedal and get that crunchy but not over the top sound. The Hillsong United guys are using tubescreamers or Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drives. I believe one guy has the Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde. Then of course, you can mike this up.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Ok so after a week of research and trying different amps I narrowed it down to these options:

Peavey Classic 30 (50 maaybe)
Fender Blues JR

I cant, nor ever will be able to afford the Vox ac15 and its too high of a price range for just 15 watts.

Im leaning more towards the Peavey Classic 30,
I had a peavey 5150 for almost 4 years and it never let me down, it was built like a tank.
Is the classic 30 going to be a reliable amp as my 5150 was?
What are some pros/cons/opinions on the classic 30?
Does it take pedals well?

Thanks everyone! Cheers!
AC15 definatly. Actually, even my VT50 works great for church sounds.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
AC15 definatly. Actually, even my VT50 works great for church sounds.

The ac is waaaaaaaay out of my budget now
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

Heck, I'd use a Dual Rectifier at church if I had one...
I pride myself on my humility.
Vox AC15 or 30. it is basically THE church band amp that's "in" right now. do it nao
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
use whatever the heck you want though, I say a guy using a XXX one time, and I've used my 900 a lot as well as a JCM800 and a mesa 50 cal once
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Can't go wrong with a Classic 30. Takes pedals well, plenty loud and great tone to boot.

Vox is the popular church amp right now and they do have great tone. I read somewhere that Hillsong now uses Jet City amps. That should make things interesting if we start seeing Jet City's show up in churches everywhere.
get a 7 string.Then get a marshall, tune to Bb, and play some frickin panic attack. that will suprise everyone
How loud do you guys play?..

My worship team doesn't play too loud but I use my Vox AC4TV on like 2 volume, and then I go over the house PA.

So if you're getting mic'd up you would be fine with anything.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by tr3nt
How loud do you guys play?..

My worship team doesn't play too loud but I use my Vox AC4TV on like 2 volume, and then I go over the house PA.

So if you're getting mic'd up you would be fine with anything.

Well right now at the church there is a house amp, a marshall MG10CD and its volume is usually around 7-8 so its pretty cranked, gets muddy when i strum louder, the funny thing is it's not mic'd and you can hear it pretty distinctively. The church has an angled ceiling so volume projects more, and the drums are electric so they dont over power. The house PA has a ton of speakers all over, the church holds about 300 people.

But the tone is awful and i want to get an amp that will sound 110x better than that and still hold enough volume because we are getting an actual drumset so we can play for the church and play around town. We have shows like at parks and other churches too.

Would the Peavey Classic 30 or VK be okay for that?
The valveking is 50 watts and almost sounds perfect for my needs, ive never played one however
I say Classic 30 over VK.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Quote by tonyd927
Ok so after a week of research and trying different amps I narrowed it down to these options:

I cant, nor ever will be able to afford the Vox ac15 and its too high of a price range for just 15 watts.

I'm slightly curious. What is so expensive about an ac15? It's loud, has good tone, has decent features and functionality, has decent construction, and is under $600. That's not bad for a tube amp. Besides, you're not paying for wattage. You're paying for tone, volume, features, and reliability. Not that any of the other amps can't do what you want. I'm just curious as to your reasoning. No hate for ya man.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
I'm slightly curious. What is so expensive about an ac15? It's loud, has good tone, has decent features and functionality, has decent construction, and is under $600. That's not bad for a tube amp. Besides, you're not paying for wattage. You're paying for tone, volume, features, and reliability. Not that any of the other amps can't do what you want. I'm just curious as to your reasoning. No hate for ya man.

If you read one of my previous posts you'd know.

15 watts is great if your mic'd but i dont think itll have enough clean headroom to play at regular unmic'd venues over a full band. Yea tubes can crank but i dont want it to sound distorted when the volume's past 5
Then I say AC15/30
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by stykerwolf

Hell yeah!
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
i could have sworn i posted earlier in hear ranting and raving about jet city.....
but any way, check the jetcity combo. it has reverb, nice cleans and can get loud, i mean LOUD.
plus they are on sale at guitarcenter right now.
Gibson RawPower SG 2009 (Zales)
Gibson Hummingbird 70's? (Amy)
Jet City JCA 20 Watt Combo
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
I didn't realise that a church band might have to have a different amp to a real band. Oh well obviously god moves in very mysterious way regarding amps!

Thrench
Ibanez AS73
Squier Blonde Standard Telecaster
Home built Telecaster Deluxe
Vox AC4TV amp
Vox V845 Wah Wah
Marshall reverb
Korg Pandora PX4 multi effects
Digitech Death Metal distortion pedal

God is busy, save yourselves!!!
Quote by Bostonrocks
use whatever the heck you want though, I say a guy using a XXX one time, and I've used my 900 a lot as well as a JCM800 and a mesa 50 cal once

Or get endorsed by a well known boutique builder and get the amp of your dreams at a price more reminiscent of a quick nap in algebra class.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Page 1 of 2