Well, I'm pretty comfortable with all my scales in standard tuning now. But I've noticed that the bands I like or want to sound like some day are mostly using Drop C. So do you have to relearn all the scales if you want to play in drop C? I've heard someone say the shapes stay the same but the key you're playing in just changes. Is this true/false? And how do I know what the key changes to.

For example

If X shape would be a BMajor scale in standard it would be ??? In drop C.

Thanks for the help
well yes and no, Drop C is like Drop D but lower, so you might have to rework some stuff on the low C, but other than that it should be the same.
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Shapes stay the same, except for on the low string, which you have to move the shape up 2 frets because it's lowered more than the rest of the strings.
And yes, the key will change.

B Major in standard would be... A Major in Drop C.
Thank you guys. That pretty much answers my question. So basically you just take whatever the scale is in normal tuning (Excluding the Low C) and drop it down a whole step? C major would be.... Bflat... Amajor would be Gmajor etc. etc.?
Honestly, if you didn't know how the scales would change in drop C, or any other tuning for that matter, then you probably aren't comfortable with scales, or the notes on your fretboard yet.
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Jul 4, 2010,
Quote by zincabopataurio
Honestly, if you didn't know how the scales would change in drop C, or any other tuning for that matter, then you probably aren't comfortable with scales, or the notes on your fretboard yet.

i agree with this, in the least harsh way possible.

if you can't tell me what notes are in such-and-such a scale, and you don't know how a tuning change impacts your instrument, then you are comfortable with patterns, not scales.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
i agree with this, in the least harsh way possible.

if you can't tell me what notes are in such-and-such a scale, and you don't know how a tuning change impacts your instrument, then you are comfortable with patterns, not scales.

Honestly I should of thought about it more before I asked this question. I could of figured it out If I'd thought about it a little harder .

And yes I know the notes in my scales ='( And It's not hard to figure it out if I don't know them instantaneously.
Quote by Absynthisizer
Honestly I should of thought about it more before I asked this question. I could of figured it out If I'd thought about it a little harder .

And yes I know the notes in my scales ='( And It's not hard to figure it out if I don't know them instantaneously.

oh, that's fine, then. as long as you're actually making an effort to understand what you're doing, you'll do fine.

the more you do this kind of thing, the quicker you get at it.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.