I don't know what my problem is, but I have a huge fear of people hearing me sing. I've been taking singing lessons for about a year now and i would really like to start playing shows soon. I feel like I can sound alright sometimes, but I'm so critical of myself. I feel embarrassed if anyone hears my stuff. Has anyone else had this problem and what are some things you did to help yourself get over it? I've heard "just get out there and do it" plenty of times and know this might be the only thing I can do to get through this, but any other advice would be appreciated. My goal is to do an open mic before the summer is over...
Quote by Heid
More realistically....I once tried to give myself head....I gave myself a sore neck and a loss of pride...
LISTEN TO ME PLAY!
Last edited by Fender_Strat_50 at Jul 4, 2010,
Start with a small number of people like family and friends and slowly build up the numbers. I am in your situation only its with my guitar playing.
Impossible is just a word people say to make themselves feel better when they quit.
Vyse the Legend
Last edited by ricanboyguitar at Jul 4, 2010,
I had this problem a long time ago. I always got really nervous before a performance, so I'd have to redirect my focus away from the audience while singing, so I kinda just either looked straight ahead, over the audience at the back wall, or focused on the mic in front of me. Seemed to work alright.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
Well, you want to do it, and you can't do it without actually doing it. So, do it.

That failing: alcohol.
im not like an amazing singer or anything so i was jsut nervous that ppl would boo me haha
so i sang for some friends , they told me i was good
i recorded myself singing and playing
and eventually u just do it!! (open mic that is...)
unless its a bunch of ppl u kno theyll never see u again so just go have fun!!!!
the first time is always the hardest.... it gets easy after that (easier)
Quote by spanishyanez
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a M0lliP0Ps?

the world may never know!

e-married to KENSAI

如果你可以阅读这个,你是中国人。
Quote by ricanboyguitar
Start with a small number of people like family and friends and slowly build up the numbers. I am your situation only its with my guitar playing.

This for sure. I do the same thing. For the first year, really, I couldn't even focus if my parents heard me play. Just start with people you are veryyyyy close with, then move to other friends, maybe do small parties or just play when you're hanging out with like 10 people and gradually build.

One other suggestion, which I hate to say, but honestly helps, is to sing/play for strangers on Chatroulette or Omegle. Don't knw how old you are but beware of male genitilia and nasty things you won't like. However, some people will listen, and most will degrade your performance no matter how good you are, but it helps you get over the hump of caring so much. You will get used to people hating on your voice, get used to strangers hearing it, and will also recieve some honest opinions (good or bad).
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Y'know, Jim Morrison sang with his back to the crowd for the first few years he did live shows. Try that shit out.
Quote by herby190
At post number 11, all that has been established in this thread is UG's feelings on kittens.
Quote by gatechballer
This for sure. I do the same thing. For the first year, really, I couldn't even focus if my parents heard me play. Just start with people you are veryyyyy close with, then move to other friends, maybe do small parties or just play when you're hanging out with like 10 people and gradually build.

One other suggestion, which I hate to say, but honestly helps, is to sing/play for strangers on Chatroulette or Omegle. Don't knw how old you are but beware of male genitilia and nasty things you won't like. However, some people will listen, and most will degrade your performance no matter how good you are, but it helps you get over the hump of caring so much. You will get used to people hating on your voice, get used to strangers hearing it, and will also recieve some honest opinions (good or bad).

thanks man, playing on chatroulette actually sounds like a good idea.
Quote by Heid
More realistically....I once tried to give myself head....I gave myself a sore neck and a loss of pride...
LISTEN TO ME PLAY!
The only way to get over something is to expose yourself to it

Simple
'never a victim,' the role model said,
bang-bang, the bad guy is dead,
always a rockstar on eMpty TV,
the lesson complete, now the child has needs.
Honestly, as long as you don't sound completely horrible people will cream their pants over someone singing or playing guitar if they don't do either. If you do both at the same time, all the bitches shall be yours. Unless you're playing metal.
Quote by KeepOnRotting
Honestly, as long as you don't sound completely horrible people will cream their pants over someone singing or playing guitar if they don't do either. If you do both at the same time, all the bitches shall be yours. Unless you're playing metal.

dude thats so true!!!!!!!!!!!! haha never thought about it before ...
Quote by spanishyanez
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a M0lliP0Ps?

the world may never know!

e-married to KENSAI

如果你可以阅读这个,你是中国人。
I am kind of in the same boat now that my band is starting up, except that I'm not a very good singer. We have some gigs coming up, and I'm the only singer. I'm perfectly fine with people and my guitar playing, I just constantly try to keep it fresh sounding. But I'm just gonna do it, and sing like I think these songs should be sang. At least they are our own, so I can write for my voice and there is nothing to judge by, but if the singer sucks, the whole band sucks.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
I read somewhere that he really hated his voice but eventually stopped giving a damn.

Quote by soadguitarfan
Y'know, Jim Morrison sang with his back to the crowd for the first few years he did live shows. Try that shit out.
Quote by Moggan13
Personally, i'd buy her a can of Coke, then as she's drinking it say to her "Whats better than Coca Cola?" She'll go "What?" and you shout "CREAM SODA!" And ejaculate in her can.
Last edited by funyguy1357: 147 times : 3-01-08 at 08:17 PM.
Last edited by funyguy1357 at May 15, 2017,
Strangely, I found it incredibly nerve-wracking to sing in front of small groups of people, especially if they are mostly your family, friends or people you know. I would suggest going to an open-mic somewhere, most of the performers at open mics are pretty mediocre so you don't have to worry about sounding bad compared to them.

Practice singing into a microphone if you can, because it really feels and sounds different than if you are singing without one.
Quote by sadSTATUE
I had this problem a long time ago. I always got really nervous before a performance, so I'd have to redirect my focus away from the audience while singing, so I kinda just either looked straight ahead, over the audience at the back wall, or focused on the mic in front of me. Seemed to work alright.

Yeah but you're a girl, so even if you were awful the crowd would have liked you anyway. "Couldn't sing, but she was pretty fit eh!"

I'm sure your singing is just wonderful

OT: sadSTATUE is actually right. Slowly work eye contact, movement, etc etc into it. You'll be fine.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by asator
Yeah but you're a girl, so even if you were awful the crowd would have liked you anyway. "Couldn't sing, but she was pretty fit eh!"

Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
Drink, or well i think i sound good sometimes, and sometimes i think i sound ****ing horrible, honestly im way more comfortable playing for crowds of 20+ (up to 500) than playing for my family