Are there any good metal bands that doesn't scream or growl?

Page 2 of 3
Is no-one going to give a serious recommendation?

TS: Check out Stalaggh.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Two modern metal bands which i find very intresting : Raintime - Psychromatic album and 8 Point Rose - Signs With Escape . Raintime seems to be a melodeath band but in their last album they are rarely growling because they use some clean and just harshened vocals. It's very nice to hear something like... death metal riffing and power-heavy-thrash vocals . And 8 Point Rose have metalcore riffing + keyboard harmony and a heavy-power voice. Check them out
Quote by andrew1979
definitely look at animals at leaders. Tosin Abasi is an amazing guitarist. Dream Theater is also a great metal band that doesn't need to ruin their music with screaming and growling

Their music is essentially impossible to ruin.

Quote by ShredHead396
^ I don't really care, you don't know most heavy acts lyrical topics, and, due to the earths vast number of extreme bands, i dare say you never will
I don't care if you were trolling or not, your still incorrect

Let's see now: what are some lyrical topics generally associated with death metal?
Last edited by webbtje at Jul 5, 2010,
Two words: Lacuna Coil
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by webbtje
He's asking for good bands though.

Their first EP is amazing. Doubt you heard it?
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by lights bane
Crimson Glory. Only Crimson Glory.

That is all.

I thought I was the only person in the world who had heard of Crimson Glory.
I'm not gonna rec anything kvlt so...

Metallica - Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets,
Megadeth - Rust In Peace and Youthanasia,
Forbidden - Twisted Into Form
and to throw you something totally different, Cynic - Traced In Air.

Ok, Traced in Air isn't metal, but at least try the others.
Quote by ShredHead396
^ I don't really care, you don't know most heavy acts lyrical topics, and, due to the earths vast number of extreme bands, i dare say you never will
I don't care if you were trolling or not, your still incorrect

EDIT: And, you know, in all honesty, it sounds like your the one doing all the crying here, i was just pointing out the flaw in your statement

I usually give people the benefit of the doubt when they say stupid things, even if it occurs more then twice, but you have go to be the only regular in this forum whose every post is consistently fucking moronic. Like seriously, are you just one of the regulars risking their real account to make everyone look good? You're the metaphorical ugly chick in the crowd of hot ones, whose only purpose is to make the hot chicks look even hotter. Please, learn to not be a troll/idiot/dolt. Like seriously, please?

Quote by Sanitarium91

Ok, Traced in Air isn't metal, but at least try the others.

...What are you on about? It's not as heavy as Focus but it's still metal.

Quote by whalepudding

I would hope not, there's an entire thread for this sort of thing. I would hope he would go to that.
Last edited by true_bacon22 at Jul 5, 2010,
^OH GOD BEST METAPHOR EVER

Quote by whalepudding

Yeah Stalaggh uses clean vocals exclusively.

POWERSWORD.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Last edited by The Wildchild at Jul 5, 2010,
Quote by true_bacon22
...What are you on about? It's not as heavy as Focus but it's still metal.
Imo it's just riding on the wing of Focus and is therefore widely considered metal. Yeah, maybe this is just me, but a few growls, double pedal parts and distortion doesn't make it metal. I think prog rock is a much better classification for that one because there's less metal in that album than there is progressive rock and fusion. I hope you're not one of those people who are all "he's insulting the album by saying it's not metal!" cause that's not at all what I meant.
Quote by Butt Rayge
I thought I was the only person in the world who had heard of Crimson Glory.

Really? Well I guess this makes three
Quote by Sanitarium91
Imo it's just riding on the wing of Focus and is therefore widely considered metal. Yeah, maybe this is just me, but a few growls, double pedal parts and distortion doesn't make it metal. I think FUSIONis a much better classification for that one because there's less metal in that album than there is FUSION and fusion. I hope you're not one of those people who are all "he's insulting the album by saying it's not metal!" cause that's not at all what I meant.

fix'd
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by Sanitarium91
Imo it's just riding on the wing of Focus and is therefore widely considered metal. Yeah, maybe this is just me, but a few growls, double pedal parts and distortion doesn't make it metal. I think prog rock is a much better classification for that one because there's less metal in that album than there is progressive rock and fusion. I hope you're not one of those people who are all "he's insulting the album by saying it's not metal!" cause that's not at all what I meant.

No, I like a lot of music so that you wouldn't call it metal doesn't offend me. I'm not that crazy about them , so there's no fanboyism going down here either. With that, I sort of understand what you're saying. I've always thought of TIA as more of the "other side" to the coin of Cynic, that being the Prog/Jazz side, which it definitely has more of then Focus, it does feel like a Prog/Fusion/Metal album then Focus's Metal/Prog/Fusion record, if you know what I mean?
I usually give people the benefit of the doubt when they say stupid things, even if it occurs more then twice, but you have go to be the only regular in this forum whose every post is consistently fucking moronic. Like seriously, are you just one of the regulars risking their real account to make everyone look good? You're the metaphorical ugly chick in the crowd of hot ones, whose only purpose is to make the hot chicks look even hotter. Please, learn to not be a troll/idiot/dolt. Like seriously, please?

Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by true_bacon22
No, I like a lot of music so that you wouldn't call it metal doesn't offend me. I'm not that crazy about them , so there's no fanboyism going down here either. With that, I sort of understand what you're saying. I've always thought of TIA as more of the "other side" to the coin of Cynic, that being the Prog/Jazz side, which it definitely has more of then Focus, it does feel like a Prog/Fusion/Metal album then Focus's Metal/Prog/Fusion record, if you know what I mean?
I hear ya. But yeah, in the end, I think even genre classifications are eventually based on individual opinions.
Quote by progbass
FUSION
Believe me, I wanted to use that word more, but in my experience people are really touchy about it for some reason. It's often as if it can't possibly be fusion cause it's fused with metal.
Because it's not fusion mixed with metal...

ok, they have a bit, a teeny bit, but the really don't use that much jazz theory in their music, and they don't really sound like any fusion bands, so i find it hard to give them that tag.

I love Cynic though.
Quote by Deplorable

ok, they have a bit, a teeny bit, but the really don't use that much jazz theory in their music, and they don't really sound like any fusion bands, so i find it hard to give them that tag.

I love Cynic though.

I see a helluva lot more Metheny and McLaughlin than I do prog

Granted, most of Paul's solos sound like discarded Steve Hackett solos, but TiA reeks more of fusion than prog.

Focus had those gamelan (sp?) style riffs that Fripp and Belew made popular in the 80s incarnation of KC, so I would let focus slide.

This is all slightly bollocks because Gordian Knot > Cynic anyways
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by webbtje
Gamelan?

you know how it seems they weave two melodies in and out together simultaneously?

tada

Progedit - Beat ('81) has the most notorious use of it, but its also evident on Discipline ('80) and Three of a Perfect Pair ('83?)
HESSIAN HAREM
Last edited by progbass at Jul 5, 2010,
Gamelan is the weirdest ethnic music I've heard. We had to study that shit in second year and I was the only one in a class of about twenty who could listen to it for more than five minutes.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
it seems they might be reffering to the bells and synth pads that belew and brufford play upon skimming the article
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by progbass
I see a helluva lot more Metheny and McLaughlin than I do prog

Sometimes, but I only hear it in a few solos/some riffs, it's not a dominant influence.

Quote by progbass
, but TiA reeks more of fusion than prog.

Why? Apart from the drumming, what's so fusion-y about TiA.

Quote by progbass

This is all slightly bollocks because Gordian Knot > Cynic anyways

I concur , mr. Malone makes me happy, he rips off Jaco so bad in The Brook The Ocean though
Quote by webbtje
Not even the members of Crimson Glory have heard of Crimson Glory.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
Oh right. Yeah, I see what that is. I have to say that I'd rather listen to that kind of thing than KC's experimental stuff - Providence should have been cut from Red, for example, utter filler.

I assume the intro to Thela Hun Ginjeet is an example, right?
Quote by Deplorable

But does it matter if they don't do it from the textbook? Obviously they sound much more aggressive than your average fusion band cause they approach it as musicians from a metal background. And fusion bands rarely have any vocals.

On Focus, I do think the clean bits are very fusion-y, and I find it hard to believe they can't be thought of as such, or even fusion metal or jazz metal for that matter, when the soundscape is there. Also in the lead playing, which sounds like a metal Holdsworth, haha. But I dunno if TiA comes across much more fusion-y. There's less metal, so people might immidiately make that conclusion. I think it almost sounds as if parts of the metal and jazz fusion aspects have been replaced with prog rock.
Have you heard the 70s fusion group Return to Forever? I do believe its a Chic Corea group, with Stanley Clark on bass, basically jazz heads doing the prog thing. It works though.

Well TiA has the fusion drumming (obviously), lots of inverted chords (home to jazz fusion) and odd time signatures which McLaughlin was using in Mahavishnu way before the term math rock was ever coined to a prog band. I will say the songs follow typical rock structure rather than the jazz intro head solo solo head outro thing.

I like Singing Deep Mountain and Some Brighter Thing. Brufford's drumming on BatO is top notch though, Jaco ripoff or not. I love Malone's tone on eMergent as well, its what I model my own tone after. To me, the album gets progressively better as you go along, definately one of my favorite instrumental albums / bands.

Everything just works so well, and the compositions are original and unique.

Progedit - yes webby. Providence doesn't do much for me either, I much prefer Larks Tongues in Aspic to Red as well....and Starless & Bible Black too for that matter. They sounded much more complete with Cross' violin cresendos.

Sanitarium, look up some Steve Hackett material, either solo, with Gordian Knot (featuring memebers of Cynic) or with Genesis. Paul rips off everything that guy did. Paul's phrasing follows Hackett moreso than Holdsworth (I don't really hear the Holdsworth in his solos)
HESSIAN HAREM
Last edited by progbass at Jul 5, 2010,
Quote by progbass
Have you heard the 70s fusion group Return to Forever? I do believe its a Chic Corea group, with Stanley Clark on bass, basically jazz heads doing the prog thing. It works though.

Year 12 in high school I was in an RTF cover band, I love RTF.

Quote by progbass
Well TiA has the fusion drumming (obviously), lots of inverted chords (home to jazz fusion) and odd time signatures which McLaughlin was using in Mahavishnu way before the term math rock was ever coined to a prog band. I will say the songs follow typical rock structure rather than the jazz intro head solo solo head outro thing.

Mahavishnu doesn't change time sig THAT much, not enough to make it an integral part of the music.

In fact most fusion artists aren't really obsessed with how many times they can switch between 7/4 13/16 and 6/8 but more about improvisation, if there's a time sig change it was probaly unintentional

Quote by progbass
I like Singing Deep Mountain and Some Brighter Thing. Brufford's drumming on BatO is top notch though, Jaco ripoff or not. I love Malone's tone on eMergent as well, its what I model my own tone after. To me, the album gets progressively better as you go along, definately one of my favorite instrumental albums / bands.

Everything just works so well, and the compositions are original and unique.

Pretty much agree with everything being said here.

Edit: Yeah, providence isn't that great a KC record, it's ok though.
Last edited by Deplorable at Jul 5, 2010,
Quote by progbass

Progedit - yes webby. Providence doesn't do much for me either, I much prefer Larks Tongues in Aspic to Red as well....and Starless & Bible Black too for that matter. They sounded much more complete with Cross' violin cresendos.

Eh, I dunno. I've never been too keen on Crimson's purely improvisational stuff, so Starless has never done much for me. The song kicks serious arse though. Red's probably my favourite album overall just because of how dark it is - considering how filler-y KC tend to be since there are ideas buzzing away all over the place, I can live with there only being one filler track on there (Providence). Larks' Tongues is great too, but I just prefer the more edgy sound on Red.
Quote by Deplorable
Year 12 in high school I was in an RTF cover band, I love RTF.

Mahavishnu doesn't change time sig THAT much, not enough to make it an integral part of the music.

In fact most fusion artists aren't really obsessed with how many times they can switch between 7/4 13/16 and 6/8 but more about improvisation, if there's a time sig change it was probaly unintentional

I dunno, I just hear lots of Mahavishnu and early fusion material like Weather Report in TiA than I hear say Yes or King Crimson. Yes' Relayer ('74) had that song Sound Chaser which jumps out as fusion, at least to me.
Quote by Deplorable

Pretty much agree with everything being said here.

Edit: Yeah, providence isn't that great a KC record, it's ok though.

the fact that you are a Malone fanboy makes me love you even more.

72->74 is by far my favorite KC lineup, but Red just kinda dropped the ball a bit compared to the quality of the previous two albums. Like I said earlier, I feel they were much more whole with Cross' violin.

we should hijack more shite threads with Crimson talk, this actually turned out nicely
HESSIAN HAREM