Just wondering the sound differences between neck-thru and bolt on necks.
Just remember, we all used to be the kid who tried to play metal with a stratocaster and a line 6 spider amp.
Their names literally mean what they say. A bolt on guitar means the fretboard is bolted on to the body of the guitar with bolts. A neck thru means the fretboard and the body are one piece.

The reason all this even matters is what sound you're trying to get (or durability).
^ neck, not fretboard.
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
@ halogod.
You've got the basic idea but not quite.
A bolt on guitar, means the neck is quite literally bolted onto the body.
A neckthrough means the neck wood extends and forms the core of the guitar, with the body wood or wings attached to the sides. With neck-thru the neck wood provides a lot of the tone of the guitar, compared to other construction types where the body wood provides the majority of the tone.
Neck through is often more expensive, and not as common as bolt on. It also provides a brighter tone.
I preffer bolt-on, slightly dampened highs and attack compared to neck-through and still provides exellent sustain.
It really is a matter of quality, how well the construction is done as to which is better, and how it will affect the guitar's sound.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Last edited by Nimbus456 at Jul 5, 2010,
neck through gives you the most tonal influence from neck/pickups. depending on the construction a bolt on/set neck will give you more body wood influence.

on a neck through the wings on the body wood are really just there to anchor the neck.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Nimbus456
@ halogod.
You've got the basic idea but not quite.
A bolt on guitar, means the neck is quite literally bolted onto the body.
A neckthrough means the neck wood extends and forms the core of the guitar, with the body wood or wings attached to the sides. With neck-thru the neck wood provides a lot of the tone of the guitar, compared to other construction types where the body wood provides the majority of the tone.
Neck through is often more expensive, and not as common as bolt on. It also provides a brighter tone.
I preffer bolt-on, slightly dampened highs and attack compared to neck-through and still provides exellent sustain.
It really is a matter of quality, how well the construction is done as to which is better, and how it will affect the guitar's sound.

Yeah I meant the neck, I was trying to get the stupid name, so I just said fretboard. :P