Well, I'm not necessarily sure I'm going to get this, but this guitar caught my attention while I was stalking around on Musicians Friend. I am thinking about purchasing a cheap-ish new electric that would be ideal to play music along the lines of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I've heard negative and positive comments about it's build, but if I did purchase one that had bad quality, do you think that a simple set up would be ideal? That might be out of the question because I know the closest Guitar Center and Marshall Music both have it, so I'd be able to try/buy them there and test for any malfunctions. Thank you!
Yet another bump! (Maybe I shouldn't post things so early and expect an answer)
I am a Stephenist
I always like to mess around with it at Guitar Center, but each time I remember why I don't buy one.

If you're looking for a Danelectro vintage-style guitar, it's great; otherwise, not so much. It just feels bad, overall- I wouldn't take one on stage, I wouldn't practice with it. I might use it for one song to smash it at the end, but I'd feel bad about that regardless.

If it suits you, go for it, and I have no idea how it is in the long run, but I can't see myself buying one.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
I played one and it just felt cheap. It wasn't easy to play either, I felt like I was fighting it the whole time. Not worth that kind of money.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Oh, I forgot to mention that I did in fact play one before, and I enjoyed the feeling of it. I didn't get a chance to plug it in. I guess I'm asking more about the long-term quality and the ability to handle "John Frusciante" styled distortion. Obviously I would be playing a lot more than just RHCP, but I feel as if it is the basis of what I want in sound.
I am a Stephenist
I own one.

I payed $425 MusiciansFriend price is half that.

I love the way the neck feels

I love the looks

The tuners are ****ing amazing

the pickups have AMAZING cleans, but you really have to roll of the treble or else you will be hit in the ears with an ice pick

On mine, a few frets could use a bit of a dressing, but the fret board is nice and no sharp ends.

ONLY GRIPE with the guitar is the vibrato. I need to put some kind of shim beneath the bridge because even a slight movement will throw the trem off center. Other than that it stays in tune great. Even if I put it out of tune by pushing the trem down slightly, moving it up a touch will put it back in tune, or vice versa. It might be fixed with a stronger spring inside the guitar.

In the end I know I should have just bought a strat, but w/e.

The baritone Danos are awesome btw.
Last edited by Tedward at Jul 5, 2010,
Quote by Tedward
I own one.

I payed $425 MusiciansFriend price is half that.

I love the way the neck feels

I love the looks

The tuners are ****ing amazing

the pickups have AMAZING cleans, but you really have to roll of the treble or else you will be hit in the ears with an ice pick

On mine, a few frets could use a bit of a dressing, but the fret board is nice and no sharp ends.

ONLY GRIPE with the guitar is the vibrato. I need to put some kind of shim beneath the bridge because even a slight movement will throw the trem off center. Other than that it stays in tune great. Even if I put it out of tune by pushing the trem down slightly, moving it up a touch will put it back in tune, or vice versa. It might be fixed with a stronger spring inside the guitar.

In the end I know I should have just bought a strat, but w/e.

The baritone Danos are awesome btw.

MF just discontinued it last night . Would you say it works good with moderate distortion ala' Frusciante as I asked above? But besides that question, thank you for the opinions on it .
I am a Stephenist
does good high gain, provided you have a good amp. Honestly I was surprised to plug it into my VTM, dime the gain, dime my TubeScreamer, and I got a really nice chug. It doesn't even buzz (feedback can get out of hand but that's too be expected with any single coil).

The only thing is with a lot of gain on, the volume and tone knobs create hum unless they are fully on, and then there is no hum. Weird, I might rewire it to see if it helps. I always have volume maxed anyways though.
I have a great album by an old delta blues man and he did every song on that guitar; he also uses it to play live. It livens a subway station pretty well.