I have 2 pairs of headphones. Grado SR60i and the ear-buds that came with my zune. I am going on an airplane next week and was curious if I should brings my grados. I know the ear-buds suck and the grados have an open air design. But think about the crap headphones that you can buy on the airplane. Wouldn't the grados work better than the airplane ones? My dad is a noise engineer at Boeing and he claims that the grado headphones would work fine but I was just curious if anyone had any experience using them on an airplane. If any one knows how they would work please tell me.
Are you wanting noise cancellation? Or just a pair of decent headphones to listen to music?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
to what end? to listen to music on an mp3 player. or the crappy in flight stuff.

if the grados ones arent shit (which you say) why the hell would you use the crappy ear buds?
I don't know anything about Grados, but I know that the headphones you get with mp3 players are usually shit, so I can only guess that they will be. Why not take them both and find out?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I just want to know if I would be able to hear anything with my grados. All of the sound around you gets in.
Quote by Koshman32
I don't know anything about Grados, but I know that the headphones you get with mp3 players are usually shit, so I can only guess that they will be. Why not take them both and find out?

Thats a good idea.
The plane will probably end up sitting in line to take off for an hour and ill just be testing them out
What you really need for a plane are noise-blocking (not noise-canceling) headphones by Shure. They’re earplugs with really nice drivers inside so you don’t have to blast the volume to kill engine noise on a six-hour flight.
Quote by jpnyc
What you really need for a plane are noise-blocking (not noise-canceling) headphones by Shure. They’re earplugs with really nice drivers inside so you don’t have to blast the volume to kill engine noise on a six-hour flight.

Check out Sleek-Audio headphones. I've been wanting to get a pair forever, but I'm waiting till I can afford get a custom set made. They're actually made to fit perfectly in your ear (you have to get a mold of your ear made), and they tune them to your ear and what kind of music you listen to.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
i had a pair of the grados a few years back. you're going to hear the engine loud and clear with them on. the sound quality is great, but they're not particularly practical. you're correct that the cheap in flight headphones are also open air design. but consider for a moment, how well can you really hear with those? you can still hear a ton of engine noise. same case with the grados.

for me, i would just invest in a set of good, noise canceling headphones. but that's just me.
you're grados are going to bleed as well. open back cans aren't for noise canceling or listening to music with other people in the room.

you want these http://ultimateears.com/products/1-pro
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Shure SE115 - relatively inexpensive, solid bass, smooth overall sound, comfortable, excellent at blocking out noise.

Klipsch Image S4 Headphones - relatively inexpensive, enormously tight bass, incredibly defined, slightly scooped midrange, nice and comfy, dangerous to use in traffic or with a baby in the house.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Shure SE115 - relatively inexpensive, solid bass, smooth overall sound, comfortable, excellent at blocking out noise.

Klipsch Image S4 Headphones - relatively inexpensive, enormously tight bass, incredibly defined, slightly scooped midrange, nice and comfy, dangerous to use in traffic or with a baby in the house.

have you tried these? I've been thinking about new headphones for use with my iPod. Those Klipsch look nice.

How much does the scooped mids affect sound? I need to cut through the live mix.
I wanna try those klipsch good rep if on the pricey side cuz of it. Worried they are becoming the Marshall of headphones.

I've got my technics which I love but they are bulky.

I've used a couple of different shures. They sound good but don't take abuse well.

I love the ultimate ears I have now. Ua 5 studio. Excellent construction and sound.

If I bought another pair I think I'd spring for the etyomics though. Their supposed to be the best of the non custom fits.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Yeah, John, I own both. You can't really recommend a set of headphones without trying them first, seeing as there are plenty of opinions out there already.

lol yeah, the scooped midrange is only very slight - the sound is still incredibly dynamic and precise.

I've owned quite a few headphones and the Shure and Klipsch S4 are about the best for $100. I haven't bought anything above that; only lower.

They do need to penetrate your ear canal quite deeply, though. I know my sister hates that. lol
One thing to be careful of regardless of what phones you end up with is to not try to compensate for the engine noise by getting your music dangerously loud for the full duration of a flight.