a la SikTh

D#
A#
F#
C#
G#
G#

respect it.

My Skramz/Post-Rock project switches between G# Octave, drop C#, and Eb standard. I mainly use drop g# for more technical, percussive, and rhythmic songs and sections

Anyone else write/perform in this tuning?
So it's basically a half step down but the E string is down all the way to G#?

What's the point?
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Quote by GODhimself37
So it's basically a half step down but the E string is down all the way to G#?

What's the point?

like i said, its well suited to rhythmic and percussive parts. Usually polyrhythms. And it also has the benefit of not losing any tension or range on the other 5 strings, allowing for some glorious djent with only a 6 string guitar. It's really neat what you can come up with actually.
That is definitely a very unique tuning. Tunings are one way to make a huge difference in your writing, in my opinion. Ever since I began *****-shipping Opeth (a phase I'm moving out of now) I've had my Jackson in open Dm tuning because I was so impressed that a prog metal band wrote an album in an open chord tuning, but it allows me to do some impressive things, I've really fallen into writing in that tuning.
Its heavier, but Karnivool kinda did something like this. Had the bottom 3 strings in Bb-F#-Bb, and the top 3 were in standard. Lots of fun. Big power chords, then the top were in regular solo-ing tunings.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by IROn 5L1nKY
That is definitely a very unique tuning. Tunings are one way to make a huge difference in your writing, in my opinion. Ever since I began *****-shipping Opeth (a phase I'm moving out of now) I've had my Jackson in open Dm tuning because I was so impressed that a prog metal band wrote an album in an open chord tuning, but it allows me to do some impressive things, I've really fallen into writing in that tuning.

its really not all that common at all in the first place, SikTh is the only recognizable band I know of thats ever used it consistently. I just took what was basically an avant-garde math metal trope and tried using it in other genres. But yes, it's much like open tuning in the way you approach writing and how it changes how you perceive a manual to tonal relationship with a guitar.
Quote by Psychaberration
But yes, it's much like open tuning in the way you approach writing and how it changes how you perceive a manual to tonal relationship with a guitar.

exactly... while you can't play songs that you might normally enjoy rehearsing when you're bored, it just seems to open up a ton of different ways to play. Definitely good to get out of a writing rut.