I know this threads been done, but I havent found much about hybrid amps. I have an old hybrid peavey classic (ss preamp, tube power amp), which runs at 4 ohms. I know tube heads are supposed to match ohms with cabs, but ss heads work as long as the head's ohms do not exceed that of the cab. I have a 16 ohm cab, so would i be able to safely put the head with it or since it has a tube section do I have to match ohms?
its always better to match ohms
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by james4
how many speakers are in the cab?

if there's 2 or 4, you can likely re-wire the cab to be 4 ohms

Its a 4x12 peavey windsor cab. I dont really want to rewire it though cuz I use it for my windsor more often

I would however really like to buy a 2x12 4 ohm cab, but i havent found anything yet.
Quote by selkies
its always better to match ohms

But would this end up damaging either the head or cab? THe thing is I dont have a 4 ohm cab right now, and I havent found much of a selection of them either.
No, you wouldn't damage your amplifier running a 16-ohm cabinet. What will happen is that you will not get the full power out of your amplifier. You need worry about your amplifier only if your cabinet runs at less ohms than your amplifier's recommended rating. If you ran a 2-ohm cabinet (if there is such a thing) with your 4-ohm amplifier, you would overload your amplifier and quite possibly damage it. With a 16-ohm cabinet and a 4-ohm amplifier, you'll be fine. Just don't be surprised when it isn't as loud as you thought it would be.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
It's the power amp with the output transformer that's important in this case, so you have follow FatalGear41 advices.
Quote by FatalGear41
No, you wouldn't damage your amplifier running a 16-ohm cabinet. What will happen is that you will not get the full power out of your amplifier. You need worry about your amplifier only if your cabinet runs at less ohms than your amplifier's recommended rating. If you ran a 2-ohm cabinet (if there is such a thing) with your 4-ohm amplifier, you would overload your amplifier and quite possibly damage it. With a 16-ohm cabinet and a 4-ohm amplifier, you'll be fine. Just don't be surprised when it isn't as loud as you thought it would be.

Is this how it is with any amp (tube, ss, or hybrid)? cuz I've always been under the assumption this works with solid state but you can blow a tube head by doing this...and I have no idea about hybrids