So this is just a thread about what music means to you. Behind the root of Music Theory has to be a cause. Such as my cause to music is soul, passion, heart, emotion. These are the things that drive me to play, listen and write music. You put these all together and this is what music is to me. I believe if you truly love music and you put your heart and soul into it you will make a great musician.

If you put emotion, heart and soul into your music, even if your not playing your own songs, people will want to listen to you.

Its my thought on what drives music, my opinion and you are all entitled to yours. Post your opinions below. No arguing please, its people's opinions and thoughts on what makes good musicians and great music.
Mainly something that sparks an emotion, yet music doesn't have to be really emotional all the time. Why can't you listen to something because it has a good melody or something catchy, or as the above poster said to 'rock out'?
Quote by stubbs
Post your opinions below. No arguing please, its people's opinions and thoughts on what makes good musicians and great music.

good luck with that.

My answer: whatever makes you happy is whats most important. If you are enjoying your music, chances are others will dig what your doing to.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 5, 2010,
What drives me to make music is me liking how it sounds and makes me feel.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Sound is a form of energy. I can control energy with different sounds. That feeling is just... divine.
umm... having fun with yer music whether you play really emotional songs or songs with a catchy melody or beat or just jamming and rocking out and doing whatever
I don't know. I listen to music because it just sounds good. It causes emotion and it's just catchy.

I write music and play guitar because...writing my own sounds and releasing my true feelings through meaningful lyrics is a great feeling. I love sounds you can get from a guitar (even an acoustic), which is why I love alternate and open tunings so much. For example; Dadd11 in DADGAD tuning packs such an emotional punch and isn't the same in standard.
"emotion, heart and soul"?

How cliche and cheesy. Music is thought to have evolved as a form of social interaction, just like laughing. So that's why we do it.
i don't know why i feel so dry
the only thing that matters in music is how it sounds.

a good musician knows his theory, knows his sounds, and knows how to combine the two to manipulate the circumstances and produce the sounds he wants.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
the only thing that matters in music is how it sounds.

a good musician knows his theory, knows his sounds, and knows how to combine the two to manipulate the circumstances and produce the sounds he wants.

this