How do you write, what is your process that you go through? Do you have a set form or ritual or do things just "come" to you.

When I write lyrics (which I've only writen 3 songs) I need to have some kind of music on, have some kind of melody in the background. I personally cannot write without some music in the background, that is my ritual.

What about yourself?
It's harder as you go on with other music going in the background, cuz you start imitating their melodies... It helps if you have one of your own rough melodies recorded or something.. That's what I try to do. Even if it's humming over a webcam mic it still helps develop your own sounds
I either write down lines or ideas on scrap pieces of paper and then read them before I play, or just get stoned and press record and make demos. Then pick the listenable shit.
fck.
well, i smoke a bowl or two, and just start freestyling. not necessarily rapping, but a lot of it initially comes out as rap or poetry or some free-form arsty-bullshit kinda stuff. my best lyrics come when im high.

then for the melody...im finding its more of a 50/50 kinda thing. sometimes ill come up with a great melody on the spot, but about half the time i have to wait a few days and read the lyrics a few times to get a workable melody.
My Gear

Schecter C-1 Plus (Seymour Duncan JB bridge, Seymour Duncan '59 neck)

Bugera 333XL 212 Combo

MXR Carbon Copy
MXR ZW-45 Overdrive
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
Quote by SIEGE312
It's harder as you go on with other music going in the background, cuz you start imitating their melodies... It helps if you have one of your own rough melodies recorded or something.. That's what I try to do. Even if it's humming over a webcam mic it still helps develop your own sounds

For me I almost always change the melody when I put music to it, it's just how my brain works when composing.
Oh it definitely will change, but to have something at least semi-original to start with from scratch has a better effect when listening back then using somebody else's for inspiration. But that's just me
Quote by SmokeJs
How do you write, what is your process that you go through? Do you have a set form or ritual or do things just "come" to you.

When I write lyrics (which I've only writen 3 songs) I need to have some kind of music on, have some kind of melody in the background. I personally cannot write without some music in the background, that is my ritual.

What about yourself?

I'm the opposite. It has always (except for once) began with lyrics, then developed to the music. I just sit and write, usually taking only 5-15 minutes. Some turn out great, some are shit. But that's my method. The vocal melody just goes on in my head as I write, then I write the music accordingly.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
I usually have some sort of random line in my head, or topic. Then most of it from there is rambling on topic for me, then I figure out what works & what doesn't. I've about 5 songs written that are ok, 2 were written on drunken night & are for laughs.
Quote by Union Jake
just straight up normal male group jerking session, it was like i was on my own aprt from getting kinda bumped into and the weird noises.
Wait what?

Quote by bodyheatseeker

You earned your name, pal.
Some days I can just sit down and lyrics come pouring out, most days I can't.

When I have a chord sequence, I play it over and over again on my acoustic and hum some sort of melody over it and then come up with a sentence that comes into my brain.

I then have Word open on my computer and type some stuff up.
I'm really precise with my songwriting, with lyrics I just come up with 2 lines or so that I really like and then I work off of that, otherwise I write plain crap
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
I like to start with a theme. I then get a notebook and jot down whatever comes to my head. Sometimes this takes a few days or more. Lines, words, rhymes, whatever, just write it down. Then I form it from there. If you have 100 lines/words/phrases, you can pick out and/or change some lines around to form a rough song. Then edit from there.
Usually some of the stuff will just come to you. and as other guys have said writing it down in a notebook or on a word document will help.
I play something, record it, then hum along to what I've just done. Then, I add some nonsense lyrics that much the rhythm of the song. Later (and this is the hard part), I replace these nonsense lyrics with "real lyrics".

ron666