I think i may need to lower my guitars action but im not sure how to check/where to start. I've read a bunch of things saying different ways to check if an adjustment is needed and I have seen a bunch of different answers. I have no idea which one to use. Can anybody tell me a real correct way to go about this?
What kind of guitar is it?
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
While low action with no fret buzz are generally most players' preference, as long as your intonation is good and your guitar feels good to play to you, you don't NEED to fix your action.
Rig:

Jackson RR3
Jackson DX10D
Randall RH150 G3
Peavey 412MS
Morley wah pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15W
Quote by Tinderwet
Measure the distance between the top of the 12th fret and the bottom of each string.

basically this but if it's a floating trem you gotta make sure that the trem is parallel to the body(or setup corretly)
It helps if you tell us what kind of guitar you have. Every brand has different recommendations.

According to the Ibanez manual, action is messured at the 14th fret, and it should be lower action on the treble side. For solid body and semi acoustic guitars the recommended action is 1,5mm on the treble side and 2mm on the bass side.
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Personally I wouldn't risk adjusting anything on your guitar if you don't know what you're doing. I'd take it to a guitar tech first...

This. No offence, but if you're lacking experience to know how to even check for it, I recommend highly against setting up anything yourself...
Quote by Y00p
This. No offence, but if you're lacking experience to know how to even check for it, I recommend highly against setting up anything yourself...

sorry y00p,I think I'll have to disagree with you there

TS,I strongly believe that you gotta learn how to deal with these kinda situations by yourself...without just taking the shortcut and giving it to a tech and wasting money,why dont you just read and learn how to these things by yourself huh?hands down the best site to learn about this stuff is ibanezrules.com..check it out

but if you're afraid to it by yourself and/or you dont understand how to do it, then I would also recommend giving it to tech and getting a good setup

I myself had to do everything by myself from the beginning,as there aren't any techs where I live...and I am happy I had to..now I know everything about setup,action,adjusting the truss rod..
I look at the DIY vrs Pro set up question like this. If you have to come to a forum and ask how it is done then you need to take it to a Pro to have the work done. Why you might ask? The answer is simple. If you can not figure out how to Google guitar set up you will never figure out how to get the guitar playing properly. Now if the guitar is a platform for experimentation and learning how to do the work that is a different story.Have at it. But a main guitar. nope.
There are some great books out there about the subject of set up and guitar repair. Guitar Player Repair Guide by Dan Erlewine is just about the gold standard for beginner techs. There is enough info in the book if you read and understand it you will have a good understanding on the how and most importantly the why of a set up.

No one take my rant personally. You is used in an editorial sense.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
its a squier strat my old guitar so i thought itd be good to learn how to do all this kind of stuff on it cuz its ok if i mess it up

ps i did google guitar setup and got a bunch of answers but theyr all different so i was wondering whats right/best
simple stuff here...

use a tiny allen wrench to raise these two pegs.
that will lower each string a little.

If that doesn't help enough and you still have buzz that transmits thru the amp, then post back here, and i'll explain the next step.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jimivanyoung
its a squier strat my old guitar so i thought itd be good to learn how to do all this kind of stuff on it cuz its ok if i mess it up

ps i did google guitar setup and got a bunch of answers but theyr all different so i was wondering whats right/best

Just go with the IbanezRules website and stick with that until such time as you want to compare other methods and ideas. It's everything you need to know. I do not even own an Ibanez, and, incidentally, my first set-up guitar was a Squier, too.

You just need to pick one method and stick to it.