Light&Sound
166 IQ
I need to learn to strum without a pick. Any tips or videos I can watch to learn from?

I'm not sure if I should be using my thumb for downs and ups, or my fingers for downs, thumb for ups...etc. I seem to scrape the skin above my thumbnail a lot. Not fun.
Koshman32
F150 LOVER
473 IQ
Google
YouTube
Was that so hard?
Probably took less time to do a simple search on each than it did to create this thread.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
qsceszxdwa
Bacon Addict
222 IQ
Do what feels right or sounds right...
Say for softer passages one could use just the skin on the thumb and fingers to strum
and on stronger passages on could hold the thumb and first finger as if holding a pick and strum with the nails...
suckersdream
105 IQ
Yeah I usually hold my fingers like I'm holding a pick, and use my nails.
But now my nails have marks on them
JK01
just a brick in the wall
387 IQ
you can try playing with the side of your thumb
Quote by :Vicious--
banned cuz you have succesfully wasted my time. you must pay

Quote by Metal Axe
Banned because you may waste my time

Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned because yes, you may waste my time.

May I waste your time too
N_J_B_B
Nicko.
1,326 IQ
I use my thumb to pick the bass notes and use my nails to strum the rest of the strings personally.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san
238 IQ
I usually use my thumb but it depends what I'm playing and what sound I want.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
kenz.94
48 IQ
Quote by Light&Sound
I need to learn to strum without a pick. Any tips or videos I can watch to learn from?

I'm not sure if I should be using my thumb for downs and ups, or my fingers for downs, thumb for ups...etc. I seem to scrape the skin above my thumbnail a lot. Not fun.

wow...strum with bare hand is the first thing i do on guitar...
actually at my fist time played electric guitar, i had trouble playing with pick...
i can only downstrum..
becoz i used to strum witout pick on my classical guitar..
but now i can play with pick..downstrum upstrum fine..
so just practice
Mekchrious
755 IQ
If you use your thumb, you will blister, but it gives a very soft, warm tone. Usually I either hold my thumb and forefinger like I'm using a pick and strum or act like your shaking your hands to get the water off. That works really well too.
matt_earls
yamaha rules
21 IQ
Even when i'm holding a flatpick, i tend to strum with my middle finger.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal !!!!
Bikewer
65 IQ
A useful technique is the one used for playing old-time or "frailing" banjo. One finger (normally the middle) can strike a single note, the hand uncoils to use the other fingers to strum other strings, and the thumb picks out bass notes.
Done properly, it results in a bum-diddy-bum pattern that can be varied with runs and single-string lines.
Pete Seeger, in his old book, "Flyspecks and Hen-scratches" says that Latin musicians recognize thirty or so distinct strumming patterns using the fingers alone.
Light&Sound
166 IQ
^Thank you so much for your replies. I find it annoying being without a pick and unable to play, seems a bit pathetic. >.< My strumming is coming along though. Fast songs are not sounding so good yet.

KoshMan32-If it were that easy, I wouldn't have posted here. I wanted different advice from real people. Thank you for the google searches I already did though.
Fourth Horsemen
10 IQ
Put your thumb and index finger together and strum with your nails. Sounds soft and nice.
GilbertsPinky
Banned
461 IQ
I literally hold my finger and thumb as if there's a pick there and then strum.
guitar nubsauce
Registered Loser
975 IQ
I use the back of all four finger on the down strokes, then my thumb on the upstrokes.

The down strokes are more of a flick.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
GuitarManNeil
UG Newbie
111 IQ
Quote by qsceszxdwa
Do what feels right or sounds right...
Say for softer passages one could use just the skin on the thumb and fingers to strum
and on stronger passages on could hold the thumb and first finger as if holding a pick and strum with the nails...

I was going to say exactly this, but you beat me to it. You said it perfectly :-)
Bikewer
65 IQ
Another technique... The French guitarist, Marcel Dadi, always used to use his thumb alone as a flatpick for single-note passages.
He let his nail grow out just enough to contact the strings, and "reinforced the thumb with the index finger much as you'd hold a pick.
This gives the freedom to use the other fingers as well.
I tried the technique years ago and didn't care for the tone much, but it worked for him....

Hehe--- I see he's using a thumbpick now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYYzUmLjntc&feature=PlayList&p=B423617AE0E2B080&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=1
bigE3
32 IQ
When picking i use the side of my thumb but when i strum i use my index finger