Page 1 of 2
Hi,

I just registered today. I live in Luxembourg and Italy and I have been playing Sax for over 20 years. Last november I bought a Squier Affinity Fat Strat with a Laney 20 R just "to try guitar"....

Man, it was a revelation. I spent most of my nights practicing with lessons on Youtube. Then I decided to take real guitar lessons in my local music school to make things serious. I enjoy it so much that I feel bad if there is one single day without playing guitar .

My question is the following : I spent 20 years with 1 Saxophone Selmer Tenor. I've been playing guitar for 9 months or so and have bought 6 (!) guitars........I just can't help it. Is this normal? I mean, how many guitars do you really need? Have you similar experiences?

Best regards from Luxembourg
Hold your guitar like your lover
In the five-ish years I've been playing, I have now owned... nineteen? Twenty guitars? Somewhere around that. I've gotten through six or seven amps too. On top of that I am constantly borrowing friends' guitars and amps. I've got one more guitar that is on order that I have to finish paying off, then there's three more ideas I have for guitars to build, which I will do once I've paid off the guitar on order.

As far as I'm concerned, I need all of these and many, many more.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I love this post, welcome in, friend.

I have been playing guitar for almost 7 years now and I am on my 7th guitar. Each one has gotten more expensive, too. I have owned 5 different amps. I've gone through 6 pedals, also. It's a never-ending, cash-sucking disease that I love. I always want new gear. ALWAYS.

You are not alone, trust me...
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
one for metal with some active pickups
one for cleans,jazzy bluesy stuff like the prs hollow-body SE or a stratocaster
and a good old acoustic guitar
but that's just me
I have 2. 1's a beginner guitar on which I learned to play. 2ond one is probably my last guitar, as I feel the urge to use it until the end of days.
Hm... 3 guitars I believe
1 for low tunes (might be even a 7-8 string)
2 for E/D# standard or drop D/C#
3 - acoustic of course
owned 6 guitars and 4 amps in the 14/15 years ive been playing. now i only have 1 amp which im going to sell and 4 guitars, 2 of which need repairs
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Laney Lc15110 230 G Tube Combo 15W
Presonus Audiobox USB

check out http://soundcloud.com/
eddiechance
I've got 5 atm, I have to reason with myself everytime I walk by a guitar shop why I SHOULDN'T buy more. I've only had a 2 amps. So I'm lucky in that respect that I cbf looking for a "greater sound"... I'll just stick with my practice amp till she dies a lonely death : )

Then the effects units.... ughhh... So much money..

More the merrier I say, I spent 7 grand alone on musical instrument related stuff in one year.. Do I regret it? NO! How the hell I let myself do it? I don't flippen know.. Hhahahaha..
i own 6, soon to be 7. been playing just over 2 years. most of these guitars are plywood, but they play well. as for how many I need I really don't know, because each guitar I own sounds different.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Guitars
6-Electrics
2-acoustics
3 Amps/cabs
10-Effects pedal

Bass
7-electric
3-amps
4-effects

Playing in four bands can get expensive pretty quickly.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
you need one gibson scale length
one fender scale length
one prs scale length
one baritone scale length
one seven string

one high gain amp - two if you find a need for tight versus loose gain - three if you need liquid and crunch
one clean amp - two if you find a need for a bf circuit and a d-circuit - three if you also want a vox/ef86 circuit
add 1 amp if you need power amp and pre-amp distortion
add 3 amps if none of the prior amps fit into the wattages 18, 45-50, 80, 100, 120, 200.

that sounds about right.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
First of all, good to see a fellow sax player. I was fairly accomplished at Alto/Bari Sax, but then guitar called to me as well. I am hoping to invest in a good Tenor Sax, though (hopefully sooner rather than later). As a sax player, I totally get being satisfied with only one sax, except maybe bouncing between different types (alto, soprano, bari, etc.). Even still, I wish I had picked up Tenor and stuck with it.

To sum up what everyone said, it's pretty much up to you. If you've got the money to blow, by all means buy up whatever guitar you like (while the rest of us mortals pout in jealousy). I only own 2 right now, and right now I'm just trying to get my electric up to par (pickups, tremolo, etc). But if I had the means, I could see myself owning 6-7 guitars (1 more acoustic, hollowbody, something with humbuckers, a strat). Ultimately, different guitars for different sounds/tunings, which isn't really an issue with the sax.

Side note: I, and many others, call this GAS (Gear/Guitar Acquisition Syndrome). It's like syphilis, but better.
'08 Fender Deluxe Blackout Telecaster
'08 Squier Jagmaster w/ 2 DiMarzio PAFs (DP103/DP223)
'91 Seagull S6 CW Acoustic/Electric
Fender Super Champ XD
Digitech Whammy WH-4
EHX Big Muff Pi (NYC)
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ
Quote by kreddy2
Side note: I, and many others, call this GAS (Gear/Guitar Acquisition Syndrome). It's like syphilis, but better.

Word.

Every guitar is different. Sometimes small, sometimes huge. And for that reason alone, I just feel the need to have more guitars than necessary. Hell, I'd even take the same model of guitars I already have just because it's cool.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Hi to all,

didn't suspect that my question would generate so many answers :-)

Glad to see that I'm not alone with GAS ;-)

I suppose it's just the way it is. And it's fine to me :-)
Hold your guitar like your lover
I've been playing guitar almost two years and have been through 5 guitars.

I'm just trying to fill in my collection with guitars that do better it different situations so if I ever need a certain guitar I would have it.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
I have two electrics (not including my starter one, which is currently unplayable to me as my brother strung it lefty), i usually have each one in different tunings, sometimes i only take one to a performance, sometimes i take two, depends on what i'm gonna be playing and sometimes if i think i would need a backup. My brother also has a guitar, even though he is just a beginner i think it is a really nice guitar, and would use it at a gig.

I also have two acoustics, they are both the same model, it was a bit of a mix up, my parents were going to get me one for one Christmas, my father ordered one from one place, and my mum ordered one from another place, both without the other one realizing, so we have two of the same guitar.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Join the club

5 years - 2 amps, 4 electrics and 1 acoustic, plus a tonne of other guitar related purchases.
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Ive been playing 9 years nearly, and in that time ive bought 22 guitars, 6 amps, 13 effects pedals and various other stuff like mini-amps, amp modellers etc.

Currently still have 11 guitars (just starting a project that will become number 12), 2 amps and 6 of the effects pedals.

I cant help but think it's quite normal to do it, although I never tire of the old 'you can only play one at a time' line......lol
Last edited by swifty85 at Jul 5, 2010,
2 single coil guitars, one for rhythym one for lead
1 low tuned humbucker guitar
1 LP style guitar for dark ballsy rhythym
1 metaly guitar with a floyd and high output pups for wanking
1 semi hollow
1 p90 guitar (could also fit into the above)
1 bari/7 string

1 6 string acoustic
1 12 string acoustic

1 clean amp
1 crunch amp
1 brootalz amp

then all shall be well, but id probably still find somehting else to want
welcome friend.
as many as you think you need. i used to own about 7 i think? it was crazy.. but it was fun. but now i've realised all i need are a couple.. i mainly play on my no-name acoustic and sometimes on my epi dot. why? because what i play and write on my no-name acoustic wont be any different to what i get out of my electric guitars.. it's all about the music. i admit if i had more money i would probably have one more guitar but all i really need is that acoustic and maybe a couple of electrics.
It's a common disease but no one wan'ts the cure!
If I had the money, I would a lot more gear than I have now. I find myself drowling over guitars on the internet all the time. I have even made a guitar investment plan! For example, I will own a Epiphone the dot by 2012 and maybe a SG this Christmas.
sorry to correct everyone here, but the OFFICIAL answer to the 'how many guitars do i need?' is... N + 1

N = number of guitars you currently own.
Last edited by rgoring at Jul 5, 2010,
Well there's a big difference between how many guitars you need and how many you want. I tried to buy the most versatile guitar I could find so I wouldn't need that many. But I could probably think of 5-6 guitars I wish I had...

And I haven't even been playing for a year.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Quote by jimzer
welcome friend.
as many as you think you need. i used to own about 7 i think? it was crazy.. but it was fun. but now i've realised all i need are a couple.. i mainly play on my no-name acoustic and sometimes on my epi dot. why? because what i play and write on my no-name acoustic wont be any different to what i get out of my electric guitars.. it's all about the music. i admit if i had more money i would probably have one more guitar but all i really need is that acoustic and maybe a couple of electrics.

I agree whole heartedly with you, I mainly play my Hamer and Epiphone electrics as I plan to sell my other 2 guitars once I have fixed them anyway. If I had the money I would possibly buy a semi-acoustic but only after upgrading my main guitars. I don't really see a need to own lots of guitars as once you find the one or three you love to play and fit you perfectly you never need anything more.

Amps on the other hand are a pain to find the right one for what I want lol
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Laney Lc15110 230 G Tube Combo 15W
Presonus Audiobox USB

check out http://soundcloud.com/
eddiechance
I have 2 Guitars (2 years)
Silvertone SRK1 (Kinda Crappy)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe

I have 1 Bass (1 year)
Laguna LB524

And i play trumpet (5 Years)
I think as far as need goes, 2. Studio and Performing. But I hope to have about 10 ish in the next 3 to 8. Can't put too much money into it because of my motorcycle addiction but the guitars I will have will be some of the best out there >:-]
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.
Quote by Galup6666
Hi,

I've been playing guitar for 9 months or so and have bought 6 (!) guitars........I just can't help it. Is this normal? I mean, how many guitars do you really need? Have you similar experiences?

It gets much, much worse! Enjoy the ride.
1 guitar, 1 practice amp, 1 tuner

Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Total in a year so far: 2amps 1 pedal 2guitars
current: Blackstar HT5,digitech distortion,Jackson rr24,cheap SG copy.

What I want: M-audio interface to plug into the pc for recording(handy during college),a bugera 6262/peavey 6505+ (not for soon).
Already thinking abuot buying a Jeff Waters flying V epiphone,to take to college :<
Blackstar HT5 Combo
Jackson RR24
Epiphone Annihilation V red

Loving guitar playing since;June'09
Ive currently got 2 but i can see myself getting quite a few more.. and luckily i dont has a plywood guitar i just got 2 Basswood ones :/ one low quality and one ok quality basswood i guess.
Iv been playing seriously for about a year now and have gone through....7 guitars, and I still have 5 of them. I don't really collect, but each one of my guitars sounds different. I like to cover my bases as far as sound. The only thing id like to add to my collection is a Gretsch semi hollow body or a thin line tele.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
I'd say you "need" 4 guitars. A steel string, a nylon string, a single coil guitar, and a humbucker guitar.

Of course, that's not enough for most guitarists, so I'd say a guitarist "needs" 8 or so to be a little happy
All I feel the need for is one or two good acoustics, a good strat, tele and Les Paul, and a good amp.

However that said, I'm very specific about what I want. I could see those who are less so owning as many as two dozen at a time on a middle-class paycheck.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I think having a ton of guitars is dumb, the most you should ever really need is 3 electrics, one Fender, one Gibson, and one other brand metal guitar, 2 acoustics, 1 standard dreadnought(acoustic-electric) and a classical nylon string guitar, and one amp.

I'm trying build my set up for just one guitar, my Squier, cause it's all I have, I've spent so much money on that guitar that I could of bought 2 other guitars for the same amount of money, I've put about $700 into my Squier now, go Barenuckle pickups! But I love the thing, tough as nails, don't have to worry about scratches with that mile thick poly finish.
In the six years I've played, I've had about 16 guitars. I swore I'd stop with a PRS, even though that was guitar #5.

In other words, if you can afford them, buy them. Always.
3 years- gone thorught 7 guitars 3 amps currently have 6 guitars 2 amps. 3 pedeals , and ive been having gas for a nice gretsch electomation solid body duo jet w/ bigsby
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
Page 1 of 2