Right

Just had a big birthday recently and got a fair bit of cash to put towards a guitar.

Budget it £1k and I'm after one of the following:-

- Dusenberg Starplayer TV
- Gibson Les Paul Traditional or Standard
- Gretsch 6128T

Obviously each of these are over my budget as new but certainly I have seen each of these available under my budget.

Just wouldn't mind suggestions and thoughts as I'm struggling to decide on which to go for. I currently play indie/rock stuff in my band and would be using it in a church setting as well so would like something that will give the nicest all round tone.

I have only played Les Pauls and lower end Gretsch. Unfortunately trying these guitars out isn't possible due to living on an island and local guitar shops only stock Vintage and Fender!

I have seen a second hand Starplayer TV for £900 quite I quite like but just unsure if I should or not!

Thanks
1999 US Lonestar Strat, 2002 Duesenberg CC, Vox AC15H1TV

PedalTrain2 & Diago PowerStation: TU2, GE7, CryBaby (GCB-95), Carl Martin Comp, '81 Keeley TS9, Jekyll & Hyde v1, NS2, VP Jr, MM4, RV600, DD5, DD7, TC Nova. Cable:Mogami W2524+Neutrix NP2RXB
Check out the PRS Mira -series. It has a lot of great guitars around your budget.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
I think the Duesenberg would do you pretty well actually; one of my favourite bands is a German indie rock kinda thing, and they use them and sound amazing whilst they do (yes, I know the amp means a lot of the tone as well )

I'm fairly sure with the P90 style pickup in the neck and the humbucker in the bridge it'll handle quite a lot of situations better than the other two. Definitely a guitar to be considered seriously here.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
The TV is a semi-hollow body, the other two are solids, do you have a preference between solid and semi-hollow with this purchase? I think the TV would be a lot of fun, I haven't played a TV but I have played an ES-335, loved the sounds I could get with a semi-hollow body.

Haven't tried the Gretsch, a Les Paul Standard or Traditional for the right price is a great choice, they're awesome guitars, monster sustain and well rounded for just about anything you throw at it.

I would say make a choice whether you want a semi-hollow or solid body, then choose from there. I think whatever you choose from what you've listed will be a great choice.
Thanks all for the input.

I am leaning more towards semi-hollow but I would quite like to get a Les Paul at some point (at least in style - hence Gretsch and TV).

My only concern is the TV would be similar in sound to my Strat which already has a humbucker.

I have read reviews that have described the TV as 'looks like a Gibson, plays like a Fender, sounds like a Gretsch' which if that's true sounds what I'm after...... I think!

PedalTrain2 & Diago PowerStation: TU2, GE7, CryBaby (GCB-95), Carl Martin Comp, '81 Keeley TS9, Jekyll & Hyde v1, NS2, VP Jr, MM4, RV600, DD5, DD7, TC Nova. Cable:Mogami W2524+Neutrix NP2RXB
I have heard good things about the TV, but never tried one.

I am a sucker for Gretsch, i own a lower end one and love it, so i would imagine that a higher end one would be great.

LPs are good but it sounds like you are looking for something quirky and unusual and using a Gibson as a safe option.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by donender
LPs are good but it sounds like you are looking for something quirky and unusual and using a Gibson as a safe option.

Probably sums it up TBH! I owned a Les Paul Custom so know what you get with a Les Paul but just fell in love with the Gretsch I tried but after hearing such good reports on the TV it's decision time.... and not knowing anyone who has owned either of the Gretsch or TV models it's hard to get first hand experience.