Poll: Is Peavey 6505 worth the cash?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is Peavey 6505 worth the cash?
Yes.
23 70%
No.
2 6%
If u buy a used one.
13 39%
Maby.
3 9%
Voters: 33.
Page 1 of 2
I'm strongly considering buying a Peavey 6505.
Is it as metal as people say, or do u need any kind of pedal to make the gain/distortion?

Thx.

EDIT:

does anyone who have a peavey 6505 want to share their settings? that would be nice
Last edited by Jackson_ffs at Jul 5, 2010,
There is so much gain on hand, you'd be stupid to hook a distortion pedal up to it. I'm yet to hear anything with more gain
Well,you don't need any sort of distortion pedal for it. Although I wouldn't go for 6505..it's overrated.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Considering you can find them for $600 or so used in my area it would be hard to find a better high gain head at that price
what kind of palm muting is best for metal?
cut off some guys hand and place it under the strings. brutal low end bro.
Quote by Sakke
Well,you don't need any sort of distortion pedal for it. Although I wouldn't go for 6505..it's overrated.

Is that why you bought a Spider IV?
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Is that why you bought a Spider IV?

It is pretty overrated :/

In my area you can get JCM900s for 100 dollars less (used ofc) and those have much more... whats the word... "fluid" to their tone imo if you will
Quote by B.Renegades
It is pretty overrated :/

In my area you can get JCM900s for 100 dollars less (used ofc) and those have much more... whats the word... "fluid" to their tone imo if you will

Did you seriously just compare a marshall to a 6505?
I'd say its worth it, if you're going to pay that much for an amp though you should definitely try it.. I personally would never boost it(except for solos), the gain on 3 is more than most amps have at all, and pinch harmonics just fly out of it. You can't really go wrong buying one, they're the standard for metal, I've seen them used live more than any other amp

Edit: "fluid"=muddy, very bad in live mixes, you need mids
Last edited by im_bored at Jul 5, 2010,
Quote by TheBrownPenguin
Did you seriously just compare a marshall to a 6505?

No I was referring to the Randall JCM900
If you want a no bullshit high gain amp, this is the way to go. The tubescreamer is also a wonderful addition to it too
Quote by B.Renegades

Ok mr smarty pants you obviously dont have alot of credibility in this subject
Quote by B.Renegades

Either this is some obscure clone, or you should probably stop talking now to preserve dignity.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by TheBrownPenguin
Ok mr smarty pants you obviously dont have alot of credibility in this subject

Right, im poor and can't aford a 6505 or JCM900, therefore I know nothing about either one of them

Thats like saying someone who can't afford a nice house has no clue what a nice house is.

Or someone with a small penis doesn't know what a big penis is.

I could go on, but I won't.
Quote by Kanthras
Either this is some obscure clone, or you should probably stop talking now to preserve dignity.

preserve dignity? on an internet forum?

I was being sarcastic dude. Lol

I KNOW the JCM900 is a Marshall
Quote by B.Renegades
Right, im poor and can't aford a 6505 or JCM900, therefore I know nothing about either one of them

Thats like saying someone who can't afford a nice house has no clue what a nice house is.

Or someone with a small penis doesn't know what a big penis is.

I could go on, but I won't.

I dont know where you got the poor thing but thanks for sharing that with the class. You obviously dont know about either of them because you call 6505's overrated and then mention a jcm900. The 6505 has way more gain than any jcm900 could shake a stick at. Even thinking that the two amps are similar is just silly. I wont even mention that you stated the jcm is more "fluid"
Quote by B.Renegades
preserve dignity? on an internet forum?

I was being sarcastic dude. Lol

I KNOW the JCM900 is a Marshall

Well, now you've done it. You could've stopped or said "oops my mistake", but now you are subject to ridicule.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

if you're willing to spend a few hundred on pedals, you'll be getting probably the best metal amp on the market (without going diezel/bogner etc). out of the box they sound pretty dull, but get a decent overdrive/booster with an eq pedal and you'll be turning dual rec users green.
Quote by TheBrownPenguin
I wont even mention that you stated the jcm is more "fluid"

LIAR!

And I called the 6505 overrated because IT IS.

And saying they DON'T sound similar is just silly, they are both high gain amps and every demo i've seen/heard demonstrates similar amounts of gain.

The fact that anyone would need to go heavier than the JCM900 (which is what Dethklok uses, btw, and they back insane gain) is just crazy and they derserve to be hung.
Quote by haz_uk
if you're willing to spend a few hundred on pedals, you'll be getting probably the best metal amp on the market (without going diezel/bogner etc). out of the box they sound pretty dull, but get a decent overdrive/booster with an eq pedal and you'll be turning dual rec users green.

I agree once you throw an EQ in the loop it's like someone just took their hands off your ears it comes alive, and the JCM900 and 6505 are totally different amps

Quote by B.Renegades
LIAR!

And saying they DON'T sound similar is just silly, they are both high gain amps and every demo i've seen/heard demonstrates similar amounts of gain.

The fact that anyone would need to go heavier than the JCM900 (which is what Dethklok uses, btw, and they back insane gain) is just crazy and they derserve to be hung.

You have never even played a 6505 yet you seem to know enough about it to say it's over-rated? The JCM900 is a nice amp, but the 6505 is in a different league. I will go so far as to say that a 6505 with a good EQ in the loop and a noise gate dialled in properly will give a Bogner Uberschall a run for it's money. I know because I A/B'd them and walked away with a 6505+
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Jul 5, 2010,
Quote by B.Renegades
LIAR!

Im glad to see your one of those people who buys into musicians rigs. Any professional musician can get their rig custom set up to however the hell they like it. For example, why the hell would zakk wylde use marshall amps for his high gain stuff? Because they pay him a shit load of money to. He can have his marshall's custom made with any amount of gain he needs. This has nothing to do with stock gear. Im sure august burns red could use modded fender frontman's if they wanted to.
Quote by B.Renegades
Well I disagree

That's not subjective or open to debate. The circuitry is completely different.

Btw, gain isn't the only thing that seperates these two amps. There are these two things called voicing and distortion characteristics.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Last edited by Kanthras at Jul 5, 2010,
Quote by TheBrownPenguin

Im glad to see your one of those people who buys into musicians rigs. Any professional musician can get their rig custom set up to however the hell they like it. For example, why the hell would zakk wylde use marshall amps for his high gain stuff? Because they pay him a shit load of money to. He can have his marshall's custom made with any amount of gain he needs. This has nothing to do with stock gear. Im sure august burns red could use modded fender frontman's if they wanted to.

wtf are you talking about I said nothing about musicians rigs

EDIT: Oh, I see what your talking about

I wasn't using that to suggest they are similar amps, I was using that to suggest it has plently enough gain.
Last edited by B.Renegades at Jul 5, 2010,
Quote by B.Renegades
LIAR!

Dethklok uses Krank amps silly man.
Quote by B.Renegades
wtf are you talking about I said nothing about musicians rigs

Quote by B.Renegades

Quote by Mahabajaba
Dethklok uses Krank amps silly man.

not according to their site, and not according to their SHOW, and not according to this informational booklet that came with their CD I bought from them.
Damn silent beat me to the ownage punch
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Re-read TheBrownPenguin's post. You can't say that just because it's used by another band.

Wait

so musicians bitch that people dl their music for free

but they make tons of money by putting a brand logo in a 20 minute cartoon

wtf mate
Anyway TS, before we were rudely interrupted, we were discussing the merits of the Peavey 6505

Quote by AxSilentxLine
I agree once you throw an EQ in the loop it's like someone just took their hands off your ears it comes alive, and the JCM900 and 6505 are totally different amps

You have never even played a 6505 yet you seem to know enough about it to say it's over-rated? The JCM900 is a nice amp, but the 6505 is in a different league. I will go so far as to say that a 6505 with a good EQ in the loop and a noise gate dialled in properly will give a Bogner Uberschall a run for it's money. I know because I A/B'd them and walked away with a 6505+

Quote by B.Renegades
not according to their site, and not according to their SHOW, and not according to this informational booklet that came with their CD I bought from them.

I have their instructional dvd, tab books and cd's, they use Gibson guitars, Krank amps and Line 6 pedals, as is shown in the coffee jingle solo lesson. And in the cartoon they are clearly Krank amps, i was just watching them all of two hours ago
Last edited by Mahabajaba at Jul 5, 2010,
Quote by Mahabajaba
I have their instructional dvd, tab books and cd's, they use Gibson guitars, Krank amps and Line 6 pedals, as is shown in the coffee jingle solo lesson.

So you mean to tell me that they tell everyone they use Marshall but actually they use Krank?

Wtf

I guess i've been wrong this whole time :/

sorry guys, my mistake.
I apologize for hijacking the starters thread into an argument that is somewhat unrelated. It just grinds my gears when people say stuff that is obviously wrong. It also kinda bugs me that people are overly obsessed with musicians rigs. Of course everyone has favorite bands and musicians but the stuff they play isnt what your gonna buy in the store.
Quote by B.Renegades
So you mean to tell me that they tell everyone they use Marshall but actually they use Krank?

Wtf

I guess i've been wrong this whole time :/

sorry guys, my mistake.

Don't worry Avenged Sevenfold do the same thing. They herald Marshall amps, but they are packin Uberschalls
Quote by B.Renegades
Oh, and reguarding your edit...

in season 3 its clearly Marshall

I can't argue on that one, haven't seen any season 3, but for the first two seasons it's definitely Krank. It's possible they have changed endorsements.
Page 1 of 2