Hey guys, I've read the setlist thread, but I'm in some strife. In a few weeks my band is performing at our schools Battle Of The Bands, where the winner will be sent to represent the school in My Big Gig, a fairly large music event here in Western Australia.

We are allowed a max of 2 songs at the school event, which is fine, we have 2 originals lined up. However, they are markedly different in pace and how heavy they are.

"Crash" - Fairly heavy, full on piece, quite aggressive (Guitar track is on my profile), but short. Fairly dark lyrically.

Our other piece is untitled, but it is a much slower, quieter song than "Crash", has very optimistic guitar (which is at odds with the lyrics, about a failed relationship), is quite light, but gets heavy at the end. (It is similar, in a way, to a much shorter version of Arriving Somewhere But Not Here by Porcupine Tree in terms of structure). It does end quite softly however.

Now I know this is only a battle of the bands contest, but it means a lot to me and our drummer, since it is our last year at the school and we'd like to do fairly well in it.

My question:

What order should the songs be in? Most people suggest heavy start, heavy end, but we can't achieve that with the songs in our repetoire.

Also,

Does anyone have any general tips for stage presentation, and performance technique at these smaller events? I'm a massive Muse fan, so most of what I do on stage is based on things Matt does, which means a lot of movement and stuff. Obviously this will need to be toned down for the smaller stage, but to what extent?

tl;dr Need tips on setlist order and stage presence for a battle of the bands contest.

Thanks in advance.
I dunno. If you start with the slow one cus it ends heavy and then the end of the slow song suits the start of the heavy one. But in some way it's also confusing cus. First you are happy so you kinda forgot the pain and then in the next song the pain is back .
is quite light, but gets heavy at the end. (It is similar, in a way, to a much shorter version of Arriving Somewhere But Not Here by Porcupine Tree in terms of structure). It does end quite softly however.

Also kinda confusing.
IS the end heavy or softly???