Hi UG.

I've always had a big problem with barre chords. When I try and play an F barre chord on my guitar, the B string is almost always muted. I don't THINK I should be applying more pressure, as that causes a lot of pain in my fingers, but it seems to be the only way for me to get the B string to ring out. Of course, I understand that a bit of pressure is necessary, but I'm physically having to use my right hand to push my first finger of my left hand down to get it there.

Any suggestions as to what to do? I envision that a lot of people will simply suggest "practicing more", but I need to know how. Should I be spending my time forcing lots of pressure down on the one finger to make the barre work?
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

I'm going to edit that awful grammar right now

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
sorry pal, but practice solves a LOT of guitar based problems, just keep workin on your barres, or i dunno squeeze a tennis ball or something (not sure if it helps though) you're bound to get get it sometime but if you want some tips... use the harder side of your finger to barre, not the soft side, and... you don't really need to apply THAT much pressure... hope that helps
Quote by DeadSoloist
lol i have all the practice standing up when I used to play guitar hero 24/7 :P

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't care if you're joking or not.

Just no.

How long have you been playing ? If you're just starting then it's normal that your bar chords don't sound perfect. I'm a beginner myself and it took me probably 6 mounth of playing before being able to do bar chords correctly (of course I didn't practice that very often, could have learned faster if I needed).

As Shadowz_fall Said, you need to use the side of your indexe in order to bar. Think that you're using the part of your finger where's there's less flesh on it, kind of baring with your bone. There are many lessons on how to do it on youtube to be honnest.

If you really have trouble, maybe you should consider lighter gauge strings too. with my 9 gauge strings, it's really easy I think.

Edit: Also try practicing your bar chords on 5th fret first. Once you get em prefect on 5th, move to third, and then to first. And trying keeping a bar chord down for as long as possible so you build strength.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Last edited by Doogy-Style at Jul 5, 2010,
I've been playing for about 12 years, but I was ignorant about getting the barres right when I was younger. Now I'm determined to get my technique perfect.

I do practice, and after going on justinguitar.com, 4 months ago or so, I have been using the side of my finger, but it still doesn't work.

I understand that practice is the answer, what I meant was, I need DIRECTION with the practice

Tom.

edit: Also, I must point out that my barres seem alright on electric. The muting is less blatant, but still there.
I was also wondering if things such as half barres require the same sort of pressure as full barres?
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
Last edited by sTarbuck at Jul 5, 2010,
Try moving your index finger up or down a little. When I first started learning barre chords the B string was right under the joint in my finger. I moved my finger up just a little and was able to get all of the strings to ring out without adding any more pressure.
Quote by Ponyspanker
Try moving your index finger up or down a little. When I first started learning barre chords the B string was right under the joint in my finger. I moved my finger up just a little and was able to get all of the strings to ring out without adding any more pressure.

yup but there'll be still 1 muted string...just get used to it....
just take atention to your Major minor and 7 barre..
you must roll and lift your finger depend on what chord you play, you'll get used to that style of playing in no time
EDIT - Can somebody please help me? I'm sorry about banging on about it, but I feel like I've tried to get these barres right for ages and nothing seems to work. I'm starting to feel that if I don't get this right, I'll never be as good as I want to be.
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
Last edited by sTarbuck at Jul 6, 2010,