I'm a beginner...I want to ask...what should i learn first...

I know the baasic chords near the neck. Secodnqestion is...do u guys learn with music sheets or tabs....?
Look up music theory if you want to learn more.

I use tab more often cuz its easier
What I wanna know is... Normally in guitar...are the music in sheets or tabs? I actually come from a piano background.
Quote by alphabeatsco
What I wanna know is... Normally in guitar...are the music in sheets or tabs? I actually come from a piano background.

Usually really beginner stuff is in tab only but then everything after usually has both. By then though, Tab isn't intended for reading it but mainly used as an example of a suggested fingering for what you're playing.
I have great difficulties of reading the the music notation and try t locate what chord it is... On the guitar. I still slowly slowly work it out..but takes like 5 min for one tab....
But tab was like 1 sec...instantly i know how to hold the chord...is there anyway of picking up this faster?.
Quote by alphabeatsco

I know the baasic chords near the neck.

Well, then you should learn how to make barre chords using those basic chord 'shapes' and move them along the neck
As far as other stuff.. well, there are huge amounts of stuff to practice and improve upon. But actually learning new things.. maybe the pentatonic scale patterns?
But perhaps focusing on learning songs for a while and practicing the things that you have difficulty playing is a good way to start out. Good for the fun and motivation too.

Secodnqestion is...do u guys learn with music sheets or tabs....?

Most guitarists learn songs using guitar tabs. It's better suited for guitar because some things you can do on a guitar doesnt translate well to sheet music, it's a lot more intuitive and has a lot more of it available online for guitar music.

However, there's nothing wrong with using sheet music, if that is what you are comfortable with. It's one of those things skill that is usefull but most guitarists dont bother to learn, since it's a bit difficult and can cope with plain ol' tabs.

Why not use both? Learning to read tab is a lot more easy then sheet music, so if you mannaged that you shouldnt take you more than 5 minutes to read tabs.

EDIT: missed your later post

Quote by alphabeatsco
I have great difficulties of reading the the music notation and try t locate what chord it is... On the guitar. I still slowly slowly work it out..but takes like 5 min for one tab....
But tab was like 1 sec...instantly i know how to hold the chord...is there anyway of picking up this faster?.

well, you need to memorise the basic chord shapes and locations of all the notes on the neck. Challenging for the more advanced player that hasnt already, and a lot more difficult if you are just starting out. You dont need to learn this right now, although it will be a huge boon for the long term if you learn it as soon as possible on the other hand.

It's a good skill to have though, because one con of guitar tab is that it's easier to figure out how to play something, but without knowing the notes on the fretboard it's difficult to figure out *what* it actualy is the fingers are playing.
Last edited by ShadesOfGray at Jul 5, 2010,
Quote by alphabeatsco

MUSIC

how to play it
how to read it

start simple. A method book is a good way to get into it.
shred is gaudy music