I wondered if I could draw on some of the experience any of you guys have with tapping, mainly the technique and it's correlation with tone, sound, ease of playing with string gauge. I have my les paul strung up with 9-42's, very light strings that suite my current legato style of playing but I'm having problems getting my tapping to sound decent.

I was wondering what gauge string do any of you guys prefer when tapping and how you think string gauges would adversely affect your tapping technique. I suspect a huge part of this is down to simply not being very good at it yet but I figured I'd ask on people opinions before committing myself to a gruelling practice regime on string's unsuited for tapping.

Thanks!
for me tapping isnt that different of different string gauges. i normally use 9's and its pretty easy to tap on. when i play on thicker strings the only difference i feel is i have to push slightly harder.
Quote by rich464
I wondered if I could draw on some of the experience any of you guys have with tapping, mainly the technique and it's correlation with tone, sound, ease of playing with string gauge. I have my les paul strung up with 9-42's, very light strings that suite my current legato style of playing but I'm having problems getting my tapping to sound decent.

I was wondering what gauge string do any of you guys prefer when tapping and how you think string gauges would adversely affect your tapping technique. I suspect a huge part of this is down to simply not being very good at it yet but I figured I'd ask on people opinions before committing myself to a gruelling practice regime on string's unsuited for tapping.

Thanks!

Tapping should be technically more or less the same as legato with your other hand and as for it being different with other gauges... it's not, if I can tap on my acoustic I'm sure it's easy on your set of 9s.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks for the responses guys, I figured as much but just thought I'd ask