Hi. I've been playing guitar for almost 2 years and have been with my Epi LP 100 and Frontman 15G amp. I haven't been very satisfied with this setup. The guitar goes out of tune often, especially with bends, and the sound coming out sounds really MIDIsh or close to 8-bit / 16-bit gameboyish sounds.

My friend suggested me to get an LP Standard. Will that make much of a difference and is it worth it? Long and Mcquade is selling LP Standards for $510-550. Should I get the LP Standard Plus instead? Is the problem in the amp or the guitar? Please help me out =) I don't know much about guitar gear. I just want better sound so I can enjoy playing even more.

I like to play classic rock, punk rock, and metal, more on the latter two so I thought an LP would be better.

As for my budget, I'm prepared to spend anywhere under $1000. After watching a couple vids, I don't think I need a Gibson LP but you can try to prove me wrong if you want. I think I'll be getting the much cheaper Epi though.

Thanks for everyone's help.
the neck is set in, comes with better hardware and pickups, it's definetly worth the money, and with the extra money you have you can get yourself a decent new amp
what kind of amp do you suggest? to be honest i don't really know the difference between the lp studio, standard, and standard plus. In Canada they've also got a negative lp standard o.O
the diference between those guitars is mostly cosmetic, for an amp look at somthing like a peavey vypyr or a peavey 6505+
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-LPST-LIST

Get this, then get a better amp used for around 200. I'm sure you could find one.

And the difference isn't only cosmetic. You mentioned that your LP-100 goes out of tune... that's just a quality issue with the tuners. Gibson has much better quality control than Epiphone, hence the price tag. They also use better tuners, better pickups, better everything because they don't need to worry about being "the cheap option".

If you're wondering, yes, the difference between this Gib and the more expensive ones IS purely cosmetic.
IT'S JEFF

Fender MIM Fat Strat, HSS
Peavey Envoy 110
I was wondering what the difference between Les Paul 100 and Standard was. If the difference between these two guitars does not produce better sound, I'm not sure if I should bother upgrading then.

I know that the difference between the Epiphone and Gibson guitars are pretty much headstock, name, and manufacturing quality, especially the wood used in the neck. Pretty much same electronics and parts.
There's a new Les Paul Studio Classic coming from Gibson soon. Pre-orders are around $849 so if you can stretch to that, great. Otherwise, Why not go for an Agile? What you're talking of spending would get you about anything in their range and I keep hearing great reports of them.
Amp-wise, if its still only for home use, and you want to stay with Fender, the Champ 600 (5w) or Super Champ XD (15w) would fit the bill. But there are so many small tube amps now that its going to be a day's work in a big store to try them out.

Edit: Just saw your latest post.
The LP100 is bolt-on neck not the best woods and cheap hardware. Going for one of the Gibson Studios gives you far better woods, set neck construction, much better hardware, much better pickups and, yes, that name on the headstock. It might not seem it now, but if a time comes you want to sell it, you'll get most of your money back. My local shop has an Epi LP100 still unsold after 3 or 4 years and marked down to €150. Which do you think is the better investment?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Last edited by Lurcher at Jul 5, 2010,
I didn't know you could get LP Studios for that cheap. My local store sells them for about $100 more in an awful color - http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/1418/Guitars/Electric/Gibson/Les_Paul_Studio_Worn_Cherry.htm

I was talking more about the Epiphone LP Standard rather than the Gibson one though. The epiphone one is 1/3 of the price of Gibsons. I'm just playing at home leisurely but want good sound so I don't think I need a Gibson.

And yes I am playing at home. I don't need loud sound at all. Just good sound.
Quote by crazlunatic
I was wondering what the difference between Les Paul 100 and Standard was. If the difference between these two guitars does not produce better sound, I'm not sure if I should bother upgrading then.

I know that the difference between the Epiphone and Gibson guitars are pretty much headstock, name, and manufacturing quality, especially the wood used in the neck. Pretty much same electronics and parts.

When britishsligean said the differences between those guitars were mostly cosmetic, he was talking about the Standard, Standard Plus, and the Negative Standard. The Standard would definitely be an upgrade from your LP-100, but I would recommend going with an Agile (such as the AL-3000) as you get a lot more bang for your buck. Also, if you don't know how, always make sure you get someone, such as a luthier, to set up your guitar properly. Most guitars out of the box can benefit from a nice set up and fret level.

Then, using the money you have left over, you should buy a new amp. The amp you choose will have more of an effect on the kind of music you can play than the guitar, but as I have no experience or knowledge about amps for punk rock or metal, I'll leave the advice to other people. I do see a lot of people recommend the Peavey Vypyr for a bedroom metal amp, but again, I can't personally recommend it as I've never played it.

The site for Agiles is http://rondomusic.com/ and in the upper-right hand search bar type Agile AL-3000(or just Agile AL if you want to see all of the Agile LPs). Some of the more expensive models will show up, such as the AL-3000M, but the normal AL-3000 models should be around $400. Not only do you get a better guitar than an Epiphone for less money but they look way better as well.
Invest more money in an amp. It'll have FAR more effect on your tone then buying a new guitar. I'd look into Peavey Vypyr or Line 6 Flextone (IV) if you want quiet(ish) sound, because they can run headphones and they'll sound good at low volumes as well as high. If you want to go with a tube (valve) amp, I'd look into the Bugera V22 combo amp. It has very nice tone for being a cheaper tube amp, though to get it to really sing, you need to be able to crank it. Another alternative would be a Blackheart Killer Ant, which is much easier to turn up, because it is a 1w tube amp. There has been an ongoing argument between tube vs solid state, but both have their own pros and cons. I'd read the amp faq for more info about it.

As for your question about the guitars, the standard is solid mahogany, while the 100 is a mahogany/alder ply. The Standard Plus has a flame maple top and a transparent finish. The maple gives it a little bit more of a bite, but depending on your amp, the difference may be negligible.

I hope that that helps you a bit.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by crazlunatic

Actually, unless you get an Elitist, even the hardware has differences.

Not that it matters, since you'll end up gutting the electronics and upgrading the hardware eventually if you keep it.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by crazlunatic
if the difference is mostly cosmetic, do i really need to upgrade my guitar then?

There is a huge quality difference too. The Standards are much better made. My Girlfriend has a LP Special and i have a Standard and trust me, there is a HUGE difference. they SOUND about the same (before my pickup swap) but they PLAY so much different. Mine NEVER loses tuning unless it's beat around at all and it has a much better feel to it, even after setting hers up with the same setup i use. Also, whatever you do , DO NOT buy an MG series amp. I'm telling you this because you sound a lot like me a few years ago ( i was using a frontman 15 and a LP standard before i bought my MG30DFX and we play similar styles). Trust me, do not even consider these amps because you WILL regret it down the line. I recommend you get the Standard (the Plus just has a different maple cap on it...i don't think it;s worth the extra money, but you be the judge) and buy either a Peavey Vypyr or a Vox Valvetronix if you want a Solid State amp or if you seek Tube tone (i can bet you will in the near future) then go with a Bugera V22 and a Metal Muff pedal. Trust me though, the upgrade from the Special to the Standard is a huge difference. The sound difference is fairly subtle (the Standard will have a clearer sound, as the pickups are different, and better sustain, plus they come with Grover tuners so it will stay in tune better) but trust me, the playability difference is well worth your money. Plus, you can upgrade the pickups later for a huge jump in sound quality.

If you are totally against the new guitar though (how could you be..IT'S A NEW GUITAR!!) then i recommend either having a tech set your guitar up for you or at the very least buying some string lubricant or using a graphite pencil and lubricating your Nut on your guitar (where the strings fit in at the first fret on the headstock) in each string slot. It sounds like you may have a pinched string causing your tuning problems during bends. This is something you should do with any guitar though. I also recommend investing in a guitar care kit to increase playability to a degree.

Here are links to the products i recommended:

String Lubricant (you could alternatively use a pencil, which i do)

Guitar Care Kit (I own this and it's a great investment)

If you have any more questions on this subject, please ask....i've been where you are before and could provide much advice