Poll: Mandolin or Acoustic Bass?
Poll Options
View poll results: Mandolin or Acoustic Bass?
Mandolin
35 56%
Bass
27 44%
Voters: 62.
That might seem like a stupidly odd question, but it's one I gotta ask, seeing as I really can't make up me own damn mind.

Going off to college, want to bring an instrument with me, and I am saving my selection of grad present til I find something I like. I had a mandolin a while back, brought it with me everywhere because of it's size and ease of use. Long story short...it broke. I've been offered a new one. Yippie. On ze other hand, I've wanted an acoustic bass for some time, and seeing as bass is the instrument I'm most fluent in, having one with me would be nice. Downside is it's still a big'un, and might take up too much space. Mandolin is tiny and portable, but I'm not it's not my primary/most proficient instrument. The A-Bass is loud, portable, and I love it the most, but is large, unwieldy, and eats up space.

TL;DR = Studio apartment...bring mandolin (small) or acoustic bass (large)
Quote by justinrobbins7
*unzipppp* "Deal with this, wench."

Quote by Mazzakazza
Ug Knows 1000% More About Scrotal Sacs Than Real Doctors.
Hm Let Me Investigate. You Has The Painful Scroties? You Has Aids.
Next Plz.
I would take the bass. You could make space. How big is the studio? Also poll?
Impossible is just a word people say to make themselves feel better when they quit.
Vyse the Legend
Your love for bass will overcome the size.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Quote by Msu_Man04
Mandolin. It's a totally new instrument compared to a guitar/bass, if only just because the strings are tuned differently [upside-down]. It's really interesting to play.

Oh I know. It's fun and has a great sound. I love playing it too, and I'm good at it. The issue is do I take the instrument that is easier to transport, even if I don't like it as much as the other?

Also, I don't HAVE any of the aforementioned instruments yet. I would be given one of my choosing. It's also possible I would not find an adequate instrument before I gotsta go.
Quote by justinrobbins7

Quote by Mazzakazza
Next Plz.
Go with the mandolin. A) You'll become a better mandolinist (is that a word?), 2) you can always take your electric bass as well, if you fiddle with amp settings you can get a decent acoustic-esque tone from it, and if you want to join a band there's more demand for electric than acoustic bass, so your acoustic would probably get neglected a bit, iii) everyone and their mums play bass, do you want to be one of the thousand college freshmen who tell people they are bassists or do you want to be different and say you're a mandolinist? And four) mandolins are awesome.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Although I am a bass player, I'd go for the mandolin.
........................,;:/|Simply~~Strings|\:;,......................
Quote by JustRooster
I love you forever.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
That Rick Roll was extremely well played.
Quote by Crofty89
Go with the mandolin. A) You'll become a better mandolinist (is that a word?), 2) you can always take your electric bass as well, if you fiddle with amp settings you can get a decent acoustic-esque tone from it, and if you want to join a band there's more demand for electric than acoustic bass, so your acoustic would probably get neglected a bit, iii) everyone and their mums play bass, do you want to be one of the thousand college freshmen who tell people they are bassists or do you want to be different and say you're a mandolinist? And four) mandolins are awesome.

I want the acoustic because I love acoustics! Besides, the whole not NEEDING an amp is plus. I mean, to say that I have no interest in joining a band is a bold-faced lie, I'm bringing an instrument because I find joy in the mere act of playing, regardless of who is around.

Quote by ChucklesMginty
Unaccompanied mandolin > Unaccompanied acoustic bass.

I play bass in a non-traditional way. Lots of open notes, pedal tones, upper register mumbo-jumbo and I think I could pull it off.

Not criticizing anyone's opinion or defending a particular instrument, just reaching in the change jar and giving my two cents.
Quote by justinrobbins7

Quote by Mazzakazza
Next Plz.
Dude, it's not the size that matters, it's how you use it!

/bad jokes

The bass. It's more awesome.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
I find that playing a different instrument changes how I think when playing my 'main' instrument. Which is why I suggest you get both, so you can apply new concepts learned/discovered on the mandolin to your bass. The one with the most instruments wins!

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Mandolin, I say that as objectively as a mandolin player could
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Most acoustic basses are not very good. Most sound crappy, and aren't loud enough to compete with acoustic guitars.

Mandolin. Unless your getting a decent acoustic bass, then bass.
Quote by The 6th String
I want the acoustic because I love acoustics! Besides, the whole not NEEDING an amp is plus. I mean, to say that I have no interest in joining a band is a bold-faced lie, I'm bringing an instrument because I find joy in the mere act of playing, regardless of who is around.

Fair enough, that is really the best reason to play an instrument, and I apologise for implying otherwise. Joy in the act of playing however is a good reason to get the instrument you aren't as proficient at, then there's both the fun of playing and the fun of learning. But it's up to you, if you want to get the bass, go for it. In fact, if it's a graduation gift, go for the bass as with acoustic basses only the expensive ones sound good, and buy a reasonably priced mandolin with your own money later.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
The polls are even, glad the Pit could be of service.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by Captain Insano
Most acoustic basses are not very good. Most sound crappy, and aren't loud enough to compete with acoustic guitars.

Mandolin. Unless your getting a decent acoustic bass, then bass.

well said. also mandolin is a fun instrument to play. i've never regretted my decision to get one.
Walk around the campus playing the mandoli. You will get fans.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
If the acoustic bass you are talking about is a bass guitar with an acoustic body, then definitely bring the Mandolin. If you're talking about an actual upright acoustic bass, then I'm split I think the Mandolin would generally be more fun though, just because it's more portable.
Quote by Crofty89
Fair enough, that is really the best reason to play an instrument, and I apologise for implying otherwise.

Think nothing of it!

Quote by TMF128
Walk around the campus playing the mandoli. You will get fans.

hmmm...never thought of that.

Quote by samick007
If the acoustic bass you are talking about is a bass guitar with an acoustic body, then definitely bring the Mandolin. If you're talking about an actual upright acoustic bass, then I'm split I think the Mandolin would generally be more fun though, just because it's more portable.

No, not a double bass. That is even MORE space eating an unwieldy than a standard acoustic.

MEGAEDIT:

I got a mandolin, acoustic/electric. Thanks for helping me decide, pit!
Quote by justinrobbins7

Quote by Mazzakazza
Next Plz.
Last edited by The 6th String at Jul 11, 2010,