I just fried my marshall AVT 150 (probably a good thing, it sounded horrible anyway), and I'm in the market for an all tube CHEAP head.

It doesn't HAVE to be a marshall but I'm looking for that siamese dream guitar sound. As I understand, it's achieved by running a big muff into a cranked marshall jcm 800. The jcm 800 is way out of my price range but I do want an amp that has that kind of sound. So I suppose I'm looking for a marshally type low-watt amp that is quiet enough to play cranked without blowing my ears out, and loud enough to play gigs, for less that £300

I've looked at the Marshall artist 3203 but the only thing that puts me off is that people have said the clean channel sucks, and it doesn't seem very versatile.

I've also looked at the Orange Tiny Terror, Vox Night Train, Marshall Haze, Blackheart Little Giant. The thing that puts me off about these type of amps is that they don't seem very versatile either and I do want an investment.

So which of these is the best then, if any? I really need a new amp as soon as and I'm fairly skint, so any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks
Have a look at the Blackstar HT-5, loads of people seem to like it. Also, the Peavey Classic 30 is really good.
Going for the cheapest Marshall amp may not be a good idea.

The only good Marshall amps I've heard have been some of their higher end models.

You don't get good Marshall tone with their cheaper/less expensive amps.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Also, if you're looking to make an "investment", then I would save up a bit more money and actually buy something worthwhile.

Its difficult to find a tube amp with good tone and the versatility of what you seek.

If you're not into the amps you've listed, then I would save up more money.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
thanks, but high end marshalls are out of my price range and I can't save up because until I get a new amp I can't play at all - so it really is an urgent thing. I'm edging towards the 3203, does anyone know anything about that amp?
Take a look at the Marshall Class 5
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
just to clarify, your £300 is for the head alone, you have a separate budget for the cab?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
no I already have the cab - a marshall 1936 2x12. I think it's the JCM 800 series cab.
that's assuming it didn't get damaged when the amp got fried. But yeah £300 max for a head, new or used.
The class 5 looks good but it's a combo, I'm looking for a head since I already have a good cab.
Quote by wardyh
So I suppose I'm looking for a marshally type low-watt amp that is quiet enough to play cranked without blowing my ears out, and loud enough to play gigs, for less that £300

Contradiction.

If you want to be able to crank it for practice at lower volumes, it's likely not going to be loud enough for gigs.

Additionally, most low wattage amps have simple features, lacking two channels among other things. You're also looking for cleans....But with low wattage amps, played at gigging levels, cleans are NOT very clean. They start to distort.

That said...I wouldn't mind a Traynor Darkhorse.
cleaner sounds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6EkeRStPxA&feature=related
Overdrive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rlKHeJNs90&feature=related

Sounds pretty Marshally, has 2 watt mode for practice use, and cleans up well. Just roll down your volume knob.
ah well actually no, one channel is fine to be honest. Ideally I want that sort of just breaking-up sound instead of pure clean, and then I'd use the big muff on top of that whenever I want a more heavier sound.
this is pretty much the sound I want: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-YDFEpKdHg&feature=related

it starts around 1:30 ish, and he steps on the muff at around 2:30 ish.

as far as I know, he is using a marshall jcm 800 with the master on full. so it's like clean, but you're getting power amp distortion so it's overdriving a bit? maybe I'm talking rubbish but this is the sound I want All I want to know is if a 3203 (or any other amps mentioned) could do that well?
It does sound very good actually, but I can't find one for sale anywhere. how much do they go for?
not in the uk. but thanks anyway I'll keep an eye out for definite
I like that it can switch to 2 watts. and it will do that marshally breaking up cranked sound?
With 6V6s, it should get really aggressive and roaring at higher levels of volume.

Didn't realize you were in the UK, totally forgot that you gave your budget in quid...might get pricey for you, Traynor is rather dear over there...

The problem is that they actually sold out pretty quick, haha. Hard to find them in stock.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260601575813&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WXF%3F&GUID=78b28bf61280a0265361dd61ffcb9e0f&itemid=260601575813&ff4=263602_263622
Contact them, maybe they'll be willing to ship to the UK.
valvepower? it's a more vintage marshall tone, but it's a straight clone of a marshall 18 watt, handwired and all that. it's a little over your budget at £350, but it's worth it (assuming you don't mind that it's a more vintage marshall tone).

http://www.valvepower.co.uk/index.htm

If you need a more modern tone with more gain, maybe consider the new jet city 20 watter or the egnater tweaker? I haven't tried either, though, but that's probably where I'd be looking (based on soundclips, which admittedly don't tell you too much). thomann has pretty good prices on both (cheaper than I've seen them in the UK, anyway), though you have to budget for a UK kettle lead, lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 5, 2010,
yeah. it's not 100% the same tone as when cranked up, but it's definitely worth having, it's in the ballpark.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?