Hey I have a song I wrote, i never had a progression in mind when I wrote it and have had alot of trouble finding the chords I wanted to use to build a progression.

Well I heard Champagne Supernova for the first time in like 8 years this past weekend and realized the progression they use is damn near spot on for what I am trying to do with this song. I don't want mine to sound the same as theirs, possibly change the key and rhythm a bit, but I'd like to know what is going on in the progression.

I am basing all this off the acoustic version found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1d-9lwJ7mY

the studio version seems a little different but the acoustic I posted above is what I am looking for.

If someone could just clue me in on the key and the progression in roman numerals (ex. I-IV-V-iii) that would be awesome. Thanks so much

I am just confused on the issue and what is going on in this progression.
please? Its only 6 chords or so, 4 of those chords may even just be the same chord with a different descending bassline...that is the part that is tricking me about naming the key....the bassline that descends.

sorry for the re upping, its just super crucial i figure out whats up at this point.

k peace
Have you looked at the tabs for the song? I'm pretty sure it's in A and the four main chords are Asus2, Asus2/G, Asus2/F#, and Asus2/E.

Don't worry about plagiarizing either, Noel Gallagher did it himself plenty.
Yea thats what I thought the chords were, but the piece I was looking at had it named all funny names...I was just eyeballing it off a youtube cover.

can you tell me the key....????

cause it has a G, Asus2, D, E progression in there too

I was thinking some key of A, but the G from the Gmaj, and the G# from the Emaj have me confused.
^Where does it resolve?

A song can deviate, be it through accidentals or modulation etc, as much as it wants on the path to resolving somewhere.
Well if it was in A minor the F# is the natural 6th, which is a common alteration, the Gmaj is in Am and the Emaj is in A minor (Making the v chord major in a minor key is very common and can be explained through use if the harmonic minor scale, using the natural 7th).

You could also make a claim that it's A major, but using the b7th (G) for a mixolydian flavour.

It's a very amorphous progression.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Jul 6, 2010,
Quote by c_foster88
Or...maybe Gallagher thought it just sounded good?

I've got a feeling that this is the most likely case here.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!