Which bands should i listen to. Ive been listing to blues so much that i dont know how to do scales with the major and natural minor scales. Aeolian and ionion. Blues i can take any key and just wail away not great but be confident. When i start my aelion and ionin it just dont sound right. With the right amount of feeling. Any ideas?

Also i want to start tapping. How should i go about this technique. So far i can trill. with all fingers, ho , pull offs need work. Vibrato, bends. bends with vibrato. Basically blues technique.

Mostly i play alternitive, classic rock, blues, rock, new stuff ,

\
Just need direction with the aeonion and ionion. I know i spelled a lot wrong.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Last edited by silly6-string at Jul 5, 2010,
For learning how to use the major and minor scale, I'd say the best thing would be just to play them and get used to them. Learn how they sound.

For tapping, once again just use it. Start by playing something simple like the blues scale or something and just tapping the octaves. Or if you want something other than a simple scale, try learning a simple solo with some taps like Crazy Train or Am I Evil (Metallica's version) or One.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by silly6-string
i need work on arpeggios to. Is there rules to tapping like dont do this in situation etc..

There aren't really any rules. Just use your ears to tell when something sounds good or bad.

What part of arpeggios do you need help with? Do you need an explanation or just tips on how to play them?
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
well i know a arpeggio is playing a chord note by notes. But how to apply them to a solo. Say pent scale wise can u do a solo in the key of A and do ur thing over the progesion so now ur soloing in pent scale and say now u switch from ur pent scale can u play the notes in the chord? say A G E. Just trying to fig out how u can apply arpeggios to solos.
maybe u can make sence of my confusion

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
first off, the ionian mode and the major scale are not the same. the aeolian mode and the minor scale are not the same. they contain the same notes, but there are reasons that they have two different names -- namely, that one is tonal (major/minor) and one is modal (ionian/aeolian). i doubt you've played anything in ionian and/or aeolian unless you have an interest in pre-baroque music or jazz music (and some folk music, too). that's number one.

number two - in order to use the major and minor scales efficiently, you have to listen. listen to other compositions, and listen to your own playing. understand the sounds you make. understand your intervals. understand how understanding all of this will allow you to better manipulate the scales. then simply listen, analyze, and apply what has been analyzed to your instrument/general knowledge of music. the only step after that is compose.

three - for tapping, i recommend some van halen. cheesy, i know, but the fact remains that EVH can tap, and his material is good practice for the technique. you might also learn a few things about legato.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by silly6-string
well i know a arpeggio is playing a chord note by notes. But how to apply them to a solo. Say pent scale wise can u do a solo in the key of A and do ur thing over the progesion so now ur soloing in pent scale and say now u switch from ur pent scale can u play the notes in the chord? say A G E. Just trying to fig out how u can apply arpeggios to solos.
maybe u can make sence of my confusion

Metallica used an arpeggio in their song "One" at exactly 1:05

e|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B|----------------------------12-------------12-14-15-15/17-15-14-12-14-14h15-12-
G|-------11-12-14-------11-12----------11-12-------------------------------------
D|----12-------------12-------------12-------------------------------------------
A|-14-------------14-------------14----------------------------------------------
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theres an example - have fun =)
Quote by AeolianWolf
first off, the ionian mode and the major scale are not the same. the aeolian mode and the minor scale are not the same. they contain the same notes, but there are reasons that they have two different names -- namely, that one is tonal (major/minor) and one is modal (ionian/aeolian). i doubt you've played anything in ionian and/or aeolian unless you have an interest in pre-baroque music or jazz music (and some folk music, too). that's number one.

number two - in order to use the major and minor scales efficiently, you have to listen. listen to other compositions, and listen to your own playing. understand the sounds you make. understand your intervals. understand how understanding all of this will allow you to better manipulate the scales. then simply listen, analyze, and apply what has been analyzed to your instrument/general knowledge of music. the only step after that is compose.

three - for tapping, i recommend some van halen. cheesy, i know, but the fact remains that EVH can tap, and his material is good practice for the technique. you might also learn a few things about legato.

Ty for responce. Well my teAcher should modes. Just wonder for music what bands use aeolion and ionion. Or does I know metal bands do. But when I play them I can do nothing them like I can with blues.

Hard to type what I'm tryig say.

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by silly6-string
Basically can u list bands that playes the aeonion and ionion?

no, i can't; i haven't seen anyone use the ionian or aeolian modes in a long time. probably because they're identical to the major scale and the minor scale -- i might even be so bold as to say that they're antiquated to the point of being obsolete.

bands that use major and minor keys, however -- all of them. i'm sure there's got to be some band out there that has nothing in a key (be it atonal, modal, or whatever) but none that i know. every band i know or have heard of has written at least one piece at some point in time in a major or minor key.
I'm confused lol so no one uses major and minor scales? I thought all music was based o. The major scale? So if they don't use this. Are u saying that all bands use pentotonics? So why did my teacher teach me modes and the nat mi or scale and major if no one uses it?

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by silly6-string
I'm confused lol so no one uses major and minor scales? I thought all music was based o. The major scale? So if they don't use this. Are u saying that all bands use pentotonics? So why did my teacher teach me modes and the nat mi or scale and major if no one uses it?

No, he was saying people don't use the Ionian and Aeolian modes. There is a difference between the two.
Quote by silly6-string

joshua nailed exactly what i'm trying to say.

everyone uses major and minor keys, because, quite frankly, they're more open than modes, which tend to be more restrictive (though they're freer than they used to be). you can do more in a major key than you can within the confines of the ionian mode.

the ionian and aeolian modes are largely obsolete in that they have been replaced by our prevalent major/minor key system. the five other modes, however, do not have any counterpart in our key system, and still have some use.