Hey all,

Im looking to get an overdrive pedal, My budget is about $100. I want something that can get somewhat heavy, but i really want a quality one. I would def buy used.

Thanks!

P.S.

I play:

Hendrix, Coheed, Floyd, Zeppelin, Guns, Velvet, Circa, etc...

Thanks!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by forsaknazrael
What's wrong with the OD on your VT50?

A lot of people don't like to use pedals on modeling amps, FYI. Sometimes, they don't mix well with the amp.

Its very muddy sounding, with very little gain.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by forsaknazrael
yer doin it wrong.

how so?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by forsaknazrael
The VT series has much more clarity than the older ADVT Valvetronix amps.
Additionally, some of their models have plenty of gain.

What are your settings? EQ, modeling, everything.

I wont lie here, I know very little about EQ.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Well, maybe just take a pic of your panel, if you don't know how to describe them.

Otherwise, I like to write down EQ settings by describing the knob as o'clock positions. The middle of the knob's range is 12 o'clock. A little to the right is 1 o'clock...and so on.

Then i would need to know which model you're using on it.

Poor EQ settings can really ruin an amp. It's very likely that's your problem.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, maybe just take a pic of your panel, if you don't know how to describe them.

Otherwise, I like to write down EQ settings by describing the knob as o'clock positions. The middle of the knob's range is 12 o'clock. A little to the right is 1 o'clock...and so on.

Then i would need to know which model you're using on it.

Poor EQ settings can really ruin an amp. It's very likely that's your problem.

Oh i actually do understand what youre talking about.

My amp is at my house right now, and im at a vacation house. Ill get back to that tuesday.

Sorry.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by forsaknazrael
Okay, just post em in here when you can, I'll respond back.

Thanks man.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by forsaknazrael
Okay, just post em in here when you can, I'll respond back.

Alright good sir, here goes it.

I think im using the AC15 but its been a while since i set the preset...

I have gain all the way up but as far as i know that dosent do anything because its a preset so it wouldnt effect anything unless i moved it.

Volume: 1 o'clock
Treble: 1 o'clock
Middle: 3 o'clock
Bass: 10 o'clock
Reverb: 3 o'clock
Master: 3 o'clock

And im using slight delay. Anything else?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Cut the Bass! Roll back the gain, add mids. You'd be surprised how it changes your tone.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof
Cut the Bass! Roll back the gain, add mids. You'd be surprised how it changes your tone.

Does the bass really do anything since its preset? I think it only changes it if i change it. Because if i tweak it slightly it becomes a metal mode. Might as well listen to you though

EDIT: Gain is now at 11, bass at 9, and mids all the way cranked
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Last edited by diceksox1809 at Jul 5, 2010,
do you want metal gain or just like overdrive gain?

On my AD50VT I used the AC15 setting ON MANUAL, max gain, eq to taste (it's not really responsive, but DON'T SCOOP MIDS!). Keep the WATTAGE CONTROL on the back and MASTER VOLUME low, a crank the volume.

Using the American HiGain channel I got a tonne of gain.... but really the gain is all or nothing. I guess that's why your using AC15, it's the only medium gain model that is affected by dynamics, other than Tweed.

Mind you I have the old version.

EDIT:

Also, a new speaker will work wonders if you can't afford a new amp. As soon as I get a way to record my amp, I'll record it, change the preamp tube to a Mesa that I have and record it again, to show people if there is a difference or not... that's besides the point though.
Last edited by Tedward at Jul 5, 2010,
Quote by Tedward
do you want metal gain or just like overdrive gain?

On my AD50VT I used the AC15 setting ON MANUAL, max gain, eq to taste (it's not really responsive, but DON'T SCOOP MIDS!). Keep the WATTAGE CONTROL on the back and MASTER VOLUME low, a crank the volume.

Using the American HiGain channel I got a tonne of gain.... but really the gain is all or nothing. I guess that's why your using AC15, it's the only medium gain model that is affected by dynamics, other than Tweed.

Mind you I have the old version.

EDIT:

Also, a new speaker will work wonders if you can't afford a new amp. As soon as I get a way to record my amp, I'll record it, change the preamp tube to a Mesa that I have and record it again, to show people if there is a difference or not... that's besides the point though.

Im def looking for a mild overdrive..

And a new speaker will do that much to the vox?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
Does the bass really do anything since its preset? I think it only changes it if i change it. Because if i tweak it slightly it becomes a metal mode. Might as well listen to you though

EDIT: Gain is now at 11, bass at 9, and mids all the way cranked

Do you have the amp on manual or preset mode? On manual mode you can select your model, volume, gain, eq, reverb, and effects. Turning the eq on preset mode will also change the tone as well. Preset mode just means it's going to a sound that is preset on the amp. You can still change it.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
Do you have the amp on manual or preset mode? On manual mode you can select your model, volume, gain, eq, reverb, and effects. Turning the eq on preset mode will also change the tone as well. Preset mode just means it's going to a sound that is preset on the amp. You can still change it.

Not really sure, neither one of the buttons light up.

Its sad that ive had this amp for 6 months and im still a noob to it
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
That is strange. There should be a button with "manual mode" written above it. A red light should light up when you press it. It should be the same for the preset mode. Did your amp come with the manual? I'm an amp nerd so I figured stuff out pretty easily, but the manual should be pretty helpful.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
That is strange. There should be a button with "manual mode" written above it. A red light should light up when you press it. It should be the same for the preset mode. Did your amp come with the manual? I'm an amp nerd so I figured stuff out pretty easily, but the manual should be pretty helpful.

yeah ill take a look at that. But neither one is lit up. The only buttons lit up are:

A: Green
Bank: Which is green in color, and CH:3 which is what im using as my preset. Also the tap is blinking and the power is on.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Figure out how to use manual mode. That will be essential. Your amp has so many different uses and capabilities that you should learn how to use them to get some great tones. I'm not going to lie, I still get a little hard when I play those Valvetronix amps even after owning my V16 and Super Reverb. Great little amps when used correctly.

TL;DR

Read that owners manual and do some researching.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Figure out how to use manual mode. That will be essential. Your amp has so many different uses and capabilities that you should learn how to use them to get some great tones. I'm not going to lie, I still get a little hard when I play those Valvetronix amps even after owning my V16 and Super Reverb. Great little amps when used correctly.

TL;DR

Read that owners manual and do some researching.

Thanks for your feedback, man.

Quick question: What does TL;DR mean?? I've always wondered!!
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Too Long; Didn't Read

Right, haha...

Well I've found some really great tones out of my manual section of the amp. Thanks for the help everyone!

If anyone else can help me out any more and make my amp sound even better, it would be appreciated!
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by forsaknazrael
Bass wasn't high? I would have it at noon, most likely.

BTW, seems you got some solid advice...I really like Express Train model on the VT series. Try that one.

Thanks man!
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Diming the gain is one of the best ways to make sure your tone sucks. Roll back on the gain, for the bands listed you really only need it around 6 or 7.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?