The KALA U-BASS
This is my Kala U-Bass, a gift from Mr. Tam on the celebration of my birthday. When they say that good things come in small packages, they could have been speaking of this little gem from Kala.

Specifications:

The bass brings a new definition to short scale being only 20” with 16 frets. The neck meets the body at the 12th fret. The top of the bass is fine grained spruce with a rosewood fretboard and mahogany body and neck. The tuners are made by Hipshot and are custom for the bass. There is a passive Shadow pickup system with 4 individual piezo elements, with the input jack coming in from the tail piece of the bass.

Kala also offers these basses in a fretless option and a full mahogany body option.

Strings:

Yes they deserve their own section. Like the Ashboury travel basses, the strings are specialized because of the short scale of the bass. The stock strings are Kala’s “Pahoehoe”, made of polyurethane and named after the black rope like lava in Hawaii. The feel and sound of these strings are one of the things that make playing this little bass a very unique experience. The strings are beyond heavy gauge and do take some getting used to. They are slightly slippery and highly flexible and your fingers will roll off until you get used to the feel.

Sound:
Kala likes to boast that the U Bass is its much larger brother, the upright, turned sideways. In many ways, the Kala sound comes very close to the organic quality of an upright but with far more sustain. While relatively quiet unplugged, the U bass sound comes to full quality being run through an amp. The sound is warm, thumpy and full of low end with enough punch so that the sound does not creep into muddiness. The sound is one of the things that shocks most players when they first play it plugged in; it has a much fuller sound than you would expect from such a small bass.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/ukeunderground/videos/181/

Link for sound, since my sound card is shite in my computer...

Uses:
This bass makes a great travel bass, and I often take it to work to practice during lunch or breaks. It’s a perfect size to take about town and the backpack style padded case is well made and comfortable.
As far as playing situations, it works well in jazz, R & B and soul, Reggae / Ska and any genre where a warm, rich thumpy lowend is needed. It’s not just a gimmick, but a bass that could be used beyond the bedroom and into performances.
That guy in the video looks so funny LMAO.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
I was sceptical before watching some videos, but I have fell in love with the slick tone. Do you think it is SUITABLE as a gigging instrument? It seems like it fills a hole in my arsenal of sounds really.

How sturdy is it too? honestly, I'm a big guy and I feel like i'm going to break a normal uke in half every time I fret it, Theres an obvious size and mass difference, but does it feel tolerant to damage?
Quote by GrStMyGn
I was sceptical before watching some videos, but I have fell in love with the slick tone. Do you think it is SUITABLE as a gigging instrument? It seems like it fills a hole in my arsenal of sounds really.

How sturdy is it too? honestly, I'm a big guy and I feel like i'm going to break a normal uke in half every time I fret it, Theres an obvious size and mass difference, but does it feel tolerant to damage?

Its much sturdier than your typical uke, its about the size of a baritone uke. And if you can get beyond the image of holding a small bass, its very gigable I've used it to play in surf music gigs and jamming with folks with Motown/R& B tunes.
Quote by shmbluh12
Oh my god. Want.

Seconded

Do the strings have a ball end or something? I notice they're not tied at the bridge like my regular uke.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
The strings are bridge through and you change them by taking off a panel in the back.

The strings have a stopper at the end, almost a wedge shaped grommet that holds them against the bridge. I haven't had to change them yet, but there's a good you tube video out there from Kala on how to do it. They do "stretch" more than your average bass strings due to the material.
Technically yes. Does it sound good, no. It sounds a bit like slapping an upright. The string material has a lot to do with that.
One of my teachers at Berklee had a shorter scale acoustic, it had flats rather than strings like that, but he was saying that the shorter the scale the more fundamental is actually in the bass. For all you solo bass enthusiasts his son is Grant Stinnett.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
That's a REALLY cool bass.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
I am so getting one of them! No more wanting flatwounds for my P-bass when I play acoustic/surf rock gigs I'm in love with that tone too...
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
tres cool! they have one of these at a local music shop. played it once for the novelty but thought it was crap. never plugged it in though! wow. i'm pretty impressed with the tone on that little thing.

awesome!
#DTWD
Quote by Bass First
Looks great, and has given me GAS

But, what do you classify it as, a bass or a uke

If you go by tuning, its a bass.
That looks sweet! £300 though

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Ahhh.. looks great! And that video is great too, Bakithi Khumalo has been around for quite some time. Gotta love Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes by Paul Simon! (0:18 - 1:13)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf4YyXVoWeA
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Last edited by Gsaws at Jul 8, 2010,
Quote by DosMos
How much did you pay for that?, if you don't mind me asking

It was around 350 USD for the spruce model. If you go fretless or mahogany, it adds about 100 USD or so to the price.
Thats a very funky lil beauty there miss Tam

Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
That is seriously the coolest thing ever.
Luck
Our Savior

Quote by burnboy85
where do snails get their shells, anyway?
Quote by crazy8rgood
They make them while they grow. They secrete the substance, I believe.
Quote by Gunpowder
THAT IS SO NEAT

tee hee i changed the shit out of my color scheme
is the bass being played in the video the fretless or not? i can't really tell