I'm trying to get a band together to play some local venues. I told a friend this and he asked what I was going to call it, and when I said I didn't know and wasn't worrying until it actually existed and was set up for a show, he said something that seemed to make sense; "Having a name in place will make people think it's something more solid than just a weekly jam, it's something to actually commit to."

This seemed to make enough sense, so I said I'd think about it. As I was leaving though, he gave me a suggestion that I love for it's play-on-words and it's almost novel corniness, but I don't really see fitting of the style I'm looking for; "The Motherfunkers". Though there are a few funk artists I like, I'm not really looking to form a funk-rock band, so I told him such. He countered with Grand Funk Railroad.

So, I come here, not sure whether or not to give this play-on-words a shot for being witty enough to be interesting, but simple enough not to be pedantic, or whether to can it since it could easily land me in gigs I'm not fitting for or comfortable in and leave audiences confused and disappointed by hearing something that isn't funk. What would you guys say?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
idk, seems a little inappropriate, but boarderline, some clubs may have a problem with it, youre better off going with like, motherfunk
plmokn12 wrote:
Yes! You deserve a high five in the spirit of Jim Henson.

Gretsch G5129
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Yamaha FG-336SB
i find whenever the word "Funk" is used, its always a let down, or... its a "wanna be gangster" kind of thing. ex: funky fresh.. i denno man, its your call. you (as a group) should find a name that means something and has a connection to you as a group. Ex: my band name is Channel Four News Team, same name as the news team from 'The Anchorman'. We all piss ourselves laughing so hard whenever we watch that movie, so we felt it was appropriate. so, find a connection between you (as a group) and the name.
Quote by bmxsulli
idk, seems a little inappropriate, but boarderline, some clubs may have a problem with it, youre better off going with like, motherfunk

Fair enough, although I'm not really sure how much less obscene that is.

Quote by Damaged Roses
It sounds like shit, get a real name, that sounds like a joke band. Anyway, what style are you in?

I'm looking to form something that's kind of a seventies-ish mix of prog rock and the energized blues on steroids that is hard rock, but with southern rock influences, if that makes sense.

Quote by cire7
i find whenever the word "Funk" is used, its always a let down, or... its a "wanna be gangster" kind of thing. ex: funky fresh.. i denno man, its your call. you (as a group) should find a name that means something and has a connection to you as a group. Ex: my band name is Channel Four News Team, same name as the news team from 'The Anchorman'. We all piss ourselves laughing so hard whenever we watch that movie, so we felt it was appropriate. so, find a connection between you (as a group) and the name.

Well-said good sir.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0