Page 1 of 36
Clearly, we've got writers. The FlashFic competitions are getting at least 20 people a pop.

So, here's our home.

Discuss ongoing projects you have, or problems you're encountering, or stuff you plan to write, would like to write, or questions you have about techniques, styles, grammar, facts. Suggest collaborations and other projects, or ask for betas and proof-reads. Any work posted online? Share the link here!

I'm currently writer's blocked, but I'm working on an entry for the 4th Short Story Competition, the fourth installment to a long action/adventure type deal, as well as a shorter fan fiction thing, and I've been toying with a sort of spy-ish novel, but haven't been able to start.

www.gabcd86.livejournal.com is where it'll all end up at some point or another.

Writers of the world, unite!
Last edited by gabcd86 at Jul 5, 2010,
Someone write a book about foxes...Please?

Also, I tend to use dashes (or hyphens?) a lot when I'm writing stuff for school (analytical essays or whatever). What is the difference between a dash and a hyphen (as the look similar), and how does one avoid overusing them?
Last edited by Seattle_sound35 at Jul 5, 2010,
I'm currently working on the storyline for a manga-style series. My mate's a great artist so he'll draw it all.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
I'll probably write a novel before I die but it's not exactly top of my priority list right now. Frankly I couldn't care less, it'd probably just end up being a blatant Steven King imitation anyway.
I have some great ideas for obscure interesting books, but i can't write very well. Wish i could.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by PeZ546
Well not quite...Instead of being the ONLY thread for writers, it's currently a thread for the ONLY writer!

Really? Just because writer is singular in the title doesn't necessarily mean that the only goes with it. It's like a "baker's dozen."
I've got a couple ideas for a few different poems at the moment, but they all basically sound the same. I think I've come to terms with the fact that I'm more of an emotional writer, i.e. I write from emotions, not from the five senses, sort of a Sylvia Plath type of style. Like I said, I have a few ideas, and if you really want to hear some of it just let me know and I'll post away.
I've been trying to write some stuff this year, need something to do so I've decided to take it up.

Mainly screenplays, well, I've never finished one but that's what I try to write.

Recently planned out another idea until I realise I was basically just rewriting Airheads for the year 2010.
Quote by Seattle_sound35
Really? Just because writer is singular in the title doesn't necessarily mean that the only goes with it. It's like a "baker's dozen."

That's true, but what I meant was that the placing of the apostrophe in writer's signifies that the thread 'belongs' to just one writer (i.e. the ONLY writer) rather than lots of writers
Quote by PeZ546
That's true, but what I meant was that the placing of the apostrophe in writer's signifies that the thread 'belongs' to just one writer (i.e. the ONLY writer) rather than lots of writers

OK, I get that.

In any case, I'm sure we're all mature enough to share.
RE: Grammar error.

What grammar error? There's only one writer in this thread. You people write, but I'm the only writer in these here parts.

Quote by gabcd86
RE: Grammar error.

What grammar error? There's only one writer in this thread. You people write, but I'm the only writer in these here parts.

*cough cough*

UG Writer's Group numero uno.
Ah, Colohue, I see you have two fiction series that have graced the front pages of UG.

But is this your thread?

I mean, just look at the facts. I have a thread, that happens to be called the ONLY Writer's Thread. Just sayin'.
Quote by gabcd86
Ah, Colohue, I see you have two fiction series that have graced the front pages of UG.

But is this your thread?

I mean, just look at the facts. I have a thread, that happens to be called the ONLY Writer's Thread. Just sayin'.

Don't poke the bear...
I like it. I haven't written much in a while but I do love creative writing. I may post my deviant art account...but then all my writing is rubbish so...
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by gabcd86

But is this your thread?

And your accrued wealth from writing?

Or maybe you could write the next of the official UG stories? Or the Hugh Gee write-up? Or the how to for the widgets?

Nah, no thread. No time; busy writing for a living.
Ok, let's get some discussion going or something....

Has anyone ever attempted Automatic Writing? (Also known as Free Writing or Surrealist Automatism) For those of you who don't know, It's when you write whatever comes into your head without looking at what you're doing.

I tried to write a play using it once, but it turned out fucking weird so I binned it.
Last edited by PeZ546 at Jul 5, 2010,
Quote by Seattle_sound35
Someone write a book about foxes...Please?

Also, I tend to use dashes (or hyphens?) a lot when I'm writing stuff for school (analytical essays or whatever). What is the difference between a dash and a hyphen (as the look similar), and how does one avoid overusing them?
A hyphen connect two words. Dashes have a lot of uses, but I think what you're referring to is the em dash, which you can read about here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash#Em_dash
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Colohue
And your accrued wealth from writing?

Or maybe you could write the next of the official UG stories? Or the Hugh Gee write-up? Or the how to for the widgets?

Nah, no thread. No time; busy writing for a living.

Just statin' the facts.

*quietly goes to change the title, dragging his feet behind him*
Quote by Colohue
Yeah.

No depth at all; didn't like it.

I audio logged it.

I know what you mean.

When I attempted it I had just finished reading that chapter in Ulysses where it's presented in dramatic form. So I was all like "Ooh, surrealism...gotta get me a piece o' that!"

I wrote for about half a page, read it back and thought "Oh god, that's terrible"

Might try it again sometime and see If I can produce anything better.
Quote by PeZ546

Has anyone ever attempted Automatic Writing? (Also known as Free Writing or Surrealist Automatism) For those of you who don't know, It's when you write whatever comes into your head without looking at what you're doing.

I tried to write a play using it once, but it turned out fucking weird so I binned it.

I found it useful (once) as a springboard to something else but certainly not as a finished piece or even as a draft.
Quote by PeZ546

i have. i once went to some experimental literature course and we tried it. its sort of fun doing it every once in a while for yourself, but really not a lot of potential for pieces of literature. i mean, who wants to read pages of people's mindless writing? chances are you'll get some interesting images/ideas which you may be able to use in the future. its fun, i love some surrealism: cortázar, buñuel, garcía lorca, some neruda, there's even some breton i like.

also, you tried writing a play like that? lol.
Are we allowed to post stories here? If so, I will....

Dear Dearest,

Reminisce with me. Do you remember when I asked of you to accompany me through those fields, those dream-like, mesmerizing fields? I was positive that you would deny my inquisition. I have a very shy personality about me, and I never did get along with anybody very well. I attribute this to the harsh ways I was treated by others. Growing up, I was antagonized by my peers for my appearance, actions, beliefs, and ethnicity. My parents were of no guidance either. They were divorced by the time my mother’s nine months were up. This feeling of melancholy and loneliness has led me to do some terrible things that I regret.

I was awestruck. You accepted. Was this really happening? Never before had I had this feeling. Had I unlocked the door to some parallel universe where everything I knew and believed to be fact was upended? I ponder everyday in this chamber why you chose me, wishing you hadn’t.

Did I come off as agitated for the duration of our stroll? I certainly was. I couldn’t help but gaze aimlessly into your sapphire-blue eyes, paying little attention to what your mouth was trying to convey to me. You were a beautiful sight to behold. I still remember the exquisite dress you wore that day, the high-heels you adorned yourself with, and of course your dark hair that seemed like it could stretch down your back for miles. It was cold out that day. You must have felt as a glacier does. Do you recall when I held you in my arms to warm your body and soul?

Silly me.

Of course you don’t.

I remember how you told me about your previous relationships. How he used to beat you like a dog. None of that mattered when you and I were together in that blessed, cursed field. But I was not satisfied. You deserved more. A grand gift for my love!

I didn’t even notice your mouth agape from what I had to show you. What was usually even, flatland had merged into a mountain of maroon-shaded dolls, their shape not much different than you and me. Then the tears that seeped from your eyelids, like raindrops from the heavens. You were so happy, as was I. When you pushed me away and ran, screaming as loud as your vocal cords would let up, and I chased you, taking in every moment we shared as you bellowed out for help, I was sure that we were meant to be. I caught you, and to this day still wonder why you scurried, who you were calling out to. Remember how I shoved you down and ripped off your garments, how I struck you with all of my force? You and I truly shared a special moment together.

Perhaps you and I could continue this relationship. Where are you living now? I’ve heard by word of mouth that you are dwelling in a hard to reach place

With all the love in my heart,

[ILLEGIBLE]

This is a bit old, I'm not sure if I'm pleased with it now, but I was at the time. Critique?
Last edited by The Contagen at Jul 5, 2010,
Quote by wizards?
I've got a couple ideas for a few different poems at the moment, but they all basically sound the same. I think I've come to terms with the fact that I'm more of an emotional writer, i.e. I write from emotions, not from the five senses, sort of a Sylvia Plath type of style. Like I said, I have a few ideas, and if you really want to hear some of it just let me know and I'll post away.

You should post them in the Songwriting & Lyrics forum brah. You'll generally get pretty good advice from the regulars there.

On the topic of experimental writing; I usually get a solid premise from doing it.
I used to write a lot of war/ sci-fi stuff. People said I had a pretty good knack at it and had a similar style to Dan Abnett (author of the Gaunt's Ghosts series).

Gonna try and pick it up again and I'm signed up for a writing clas 1st semester this school year.
Have a good one,
Phoenix
I like to write for entertainment but I'm not serious about it.

If anyone wants to see anything I've written, I have a poem or two and a piece of a drama that I re-wrote from someone else's plot (it was from a thread here on UG; their version was ridiculously horrible, so I re-did it.)
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
I like to write for entertainment but I'm not serious about it.

If anyone wants to see anything I've written, I have a poem or two and a piece of a drama that I re-wrote from someone else's plot (it was from a thread here on UG; their version was ridiculously horrible, so I re-did it.)

Post away, comrade.
It was a graveyard smash.