Hey Guys!

Hope you are alright!

I have my RGT grade 4 tomorrow, i was just going through everthing, and I've forgot how to figure out notes on the blues scale.

For Example, if we take D major scale,

it will be D,E,F#,G,H,A,B,C#,D

but what would the notes be in the D Blues scale?

TD;LR what are the notes in the D Blues scale thanks.

Also could you please correct me
If you are working out the Maj7 chord that is just Root, Third, fifth and 7
If you are working out the Min 7 chord that is just Root, flat Third, 5 and flat 7
If you are working out the Dom 7 chord that is just ROot, third, fifth and flat 7?

Sorry for my bad English, I'm typing in a rush and paranoia.

Thank You
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Quote by ibrahimasood
Also could you please correct me
If you are working out the Maj7 chord that is just Root, Third, fifth and 7
If you are working out the Min 7 chord that is just Root, flat Third, 5 and flat 7
If you are working out the Dom 7 chord that is just ROot, third, fifth and flat 7?

Those are correct.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Major Pentatonic: Take out the fourth and seventh degrees of the major scale.

Minor Pentatonic: Take out the second and sixth degrees of the minor scale.

To make it the blues scale, just ad the flat fifth.

EDIT: There is no H note...
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Jul 5, 2010,
Quote by MousseMoose
I once heard someone say that H and I are also letters that can be used in music theory, even though they are not common. Honestly, it seems kind of silly to me.

Those definitely aren't part of our music system. At least not as part of the music alphabet far as I know

(not counting things like an I6 or Neopolitan etc)
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Last edited by FacetOfChaos at Jul 5, 2010,
Quote by MousseMoose
I once heard someone say that H and I are also letters that can be used in music theory, even though they are not common. Honestly, it seems kind of silly to me.

Really? so what would H and I sound like? would it be basically G# and Gx? think I'll just stick with that
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
There are other music systems that use 18 and 19-tones, as opposed to our 12. There's probably tons of other music systems between 12 and 18 (and beyond) and others that don't even use the same formulas etc.

I've never specifically heard of any that use an "H" note, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were out there. As for our Western music theory, H doesn't exist and really shouldn't concern anyone who doesn't wish to go beyond our Western Music system.

That's not to say things like quarter tones are off-limits, just that you'll never find a chord with an "H" in it or something similar.
The German system (used in a few other countries) has H in place of B. It wouldn't occur between G and A, though. D major would be D E F# G A H C# D.
Last edited by Dodeka at Jul 5, 2010,
Quote by Dodeka
The German system (used in a few other countries) has H in place of B. It wouldn't occur between G and A, though.

Yeah, it can be quite confusing.
In Germany officially the "b" is called "h" and the "b flat" is called "b".
Several sources claim to know that this "phenomenon" has occured due to an error in transcription many many years ago.
This is quite a logical explanation when you compare the look of a small h and b letter.
Last edited by Blutrot at Jul 5, 2010,