Can I fix this string height or do i just have to deal with it cause the tremelo isn't counter sunk? Or can i fix this with some truss rod adjustments.

its seems like a lot of space for a truss rod adjustment.

-zack-
i will as soon as i snatch a capo, i have feeler gauges as well.

i was just wondering if that would be possible to fix that much height with the truss adjustment. The tremolo is dropped as low as it will go currently. I guess the only way to find out is to set up everything the way it should be and see what that does for me.

edit: I'm just afraid that the only way to get the minimal height i want is to take the body in and have a hole routed so i can counter sink the whole tremolo unit
Last edited by SpiritSlayer at Jul 5, 2010,
You don't use the truss rod to make action adjustments, EVER! The truss rod's sole purpose is to adjust neck relief. Other options such as a shim should be considered if the neck is already straight enough.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Does your neck have the proper amount of relief in it?
Before you go adjusting anything, read the setup thread in the EG forum.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
It looks like your bridge is all messed up. Fix that.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
hmmm giving it to a tech to do doesn't teach me anything lol

also can you be more detailed how is my bridge messed up... its sitting flush with the body and is blocked?

and I think I answered my own question with a good days worth of Google. With a non-recessed tremolo like I have it is common for the action to be too high and to fix that I'm going to have to shim the neck. Looks like I am going to pick up some playing cards tonight .

the guitar doesn't have fret buzz, stays in tune, sounds great, etc so its usable. relief is also in range. its just the action isn't as low as I prefer.
Ohh okay, must've been the angle from that pic since it looked like it was all off.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
is your trem like flush with the body or is it sticking way up? i cant tell but it looks like its wayy up, and if that is the case and you got it set up and stuf, you would just lower the action
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
its flush the picture must be making the angle odd... the plate underneath the trem is literally fractions of an inch above the body.
woot just in case anybody is wondering i fixed the string height at the body by adding 4-5 shims made from playing cards. now im getting fret buzz on frets 1-5ish so im gonna look more at my relief and set it from there. Ive gone from every guitar I have owned being better than this guitar to it now being one of the best guitars I have ever owned. I am quite happy about it
It's great that you're happy! If you ever feel like upgrading your shims to a metal, specifically brass or steel take a look here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9011k7/
That's for a 8"x12" sheet of brass that's as thick as a playing card, about $6.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9302k31/
Aluminum shims, the same thickness as the brass and playing cards, 2"x2", bout $7 for a pack of 20.

Though there's nothing at all wrong with the cards, some people prefer the metal to contact between their neck and guitar body, as it transfers vibration better.
nope a 2 of some suit
should have used the ace of spades though

and thanks for the links if i was building a nice jazz or twangy guitar i wouldn't think twice about the upgrade, but i just cant justify the need in this one.