I have up to £600 to spend on a new amp and while I have a clear idea of what I want, I don't know which amp would best suit me. I'm happy to buy second hand.

I play in a Rock covers band so it needs to be highly versatile with a good clean channel and excellent distortions running all the way up to high gain Metal and pretty much everything inbetween. If I had to narrow it down to 3 core sounds it would be clean, a hot rodded 80's Marshall sound and modern high gain. All channels need to be able to work well with a good boost pedal to lift solos in the mix.

The distortions are the main problem with my current amp (Marshall DSL401) because they sound rather muddy, like a blanket is over the amp, unless I put an overdrive in front of it with the gain at zero and the level maxed out. My new amp should have a highly articulate and smooth valve distortion that doesn't need any sort of pedal to tighten it up. My other problem is that at the moment the boost pedal has very little effect unless I use a pedal for distortion instead of the amp. I want all my distortions from the amp and it needs to be able to take a good old boost.

The amp needs to be a valve amp, no less that 50w, have a series effects loop and enough channels to at least get the 3 core sounds I'm after. As I already own a Marshall 4X12 it can simply be a head unit. So far I've been considering these two:

1) Marshall JVM (Seems very versatile with multiple gain stages but I'm worried the distortion will be as mushy as my current amp)

2) Blackstar HT Stage 100

Any thoughts on these two or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do intend to try them but it's not easy due to where I live.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Jet city. It can do metal, but you'll have to push it to hell to get it there.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Yeah I second the Blackstar HT100
what kind of palm muting is best for metal?
cut off some guys hand and place it under the strings. brutal low end bro.
Are you going to buy used, I don't think you'll get a JVM for that money.
If you can, definately get the 4 channel JVM, I heard the extra channels compared to the 2 channel ones are worth it.

I think the Jet City 50/100 might also be an option, it only has 2 channels, but you can use an OD to create new tones.

You could also look if you can find an ENGL Blackmore used.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
laney tt?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Blackstar seems to have a lot of support so that's certainly one to investigate further, especially as it's right on my £600 budget. I've looked on Ebay for JVM amps and they seem to go used for around £500, though I'll try to narrow my search to the 4 channel version. The important thing is that it won't be mushy like my current Marshall. The Jet City sounded good on the clips I found but I'm not sure the channel options will give me the versatility I'm after and as I use pedals in the loop, the lack of an effects loop is a factor. As for Laney, I'd previously looked at a GH100L and VH100R as possibilities but I was unimpressed with the clips I found. Compared to a Marshall tone it seemed a bit bland and there weren't enough channel options. The TT seems a bit more interesting. It does have the channel options I want and while it still seems to sound a little generic to my ears, it interests me enough to find one and give it a go.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
The Blackstar.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
yeah i preferred the tt to the vh100r i tried, i thought it was a bit smoother. though obviously it depends on what you're after, a lot of people love the vh100r and gh100 (it's not like i hated the vh100r either, just preferred the tt). laney prices have increased a fair bit recently, so that's worth bearing in mind, too, they're not as good value as they used to be.

oh and i haven't tried it, but the jet city 50 and 100 watt heads have fx loops. it's just the 20 watter which doesn't (and the picovalve, i guess).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I got my Blackstar Stage 100 head about a month ago and love it. Each channel has 2 types of tone and there are 3 channels. OD-3 is enough for Metal especially with a pedal. I just cannot understand why Blackstar has a Midrange control for the OD-1 & OD-2 but none for the Clean channel. Just a Voice button that will switch the amp from Fender clean to Blackstar clean. The Blackstar clean is old school and will breakup easier. Other than that it is one great amp. Wait for one of those 15% off sales and pick it up then.
Yeah, get the Blackstar. A Marshall with gain staging will run you way too much and all the others sound like mud at high gain levels with no OD.