After thinking over some thing, I realized I don't really know what my falsetto sounds like. Have I even tapped into my head voice yet? Could you tell me from this clip if my upper range was ever head voice or mixed, or if it was all falsetto. Or maybe even none of it was. I don't know.

First attempt: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Mattofla/music/all/play862186

^In that one I remembered to move my mic back.

Second attempt: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Mattofla/music/all/play862187

^I like how the D5 on this one sounds so strange with vibrato, any idea why?

In this exercise I am starting at D2, then increasing a fifth to A5, until D5.

Also, what vocal class do you hear in this?
Last edited by Mattofla at Jul 6, 2010,
To me it sounds like falsetto but i could be wrong you should probably wait for some of the more experienced UGers.
Through singing your random notes I can't even tell (Probably falsetto though?). Is there anyway you could sing just a simple do re mei? Or like a c major scale? Seperating each like la - la - la with each la being a note.

Step back from your recorder too it's distorting the singing. I can always just turn up my speakers if it's quiet but if it's crappily recorded it makes it alot harder to tell.

Also, you're "frying" your bottom notes. Thats not part of your range, almost any baritone can do that if they fry the note. If you hear a crackle to it, you're starting to fry it.

To be honest theres absolutely no way anyone could tell your range from this. Pretty sure the top part is falsetto though, but I could also do that with my head voice.

If you "hurt" yourself getting through your range then you are singing so wrong I can't even imagine what you're doing. In Axe's words singing is merely an extension of speaking at different pitches.

-------------------

Goto youtube and look up "diaphragmatic breathing". Thats what you need to do in order to fully tap into your range, along with singing with your throat RELAXED.

to tap into your head voice, hold the sound in your throat or chest, and I want you to think about raising it up into your head. The vibrations should resonate up in your brain, and the top of your throat. Sing as if you were singing to the wall directly in front of you.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Last edited by Ghast at Jul 5, 2010,
Apparently I didn't think this through enough.

When I do recordings I always forget to move my mic away, but I thought this was a decent recording.

The main reason i posted this was to see if that was head voice or falsetto, thanks for the answer. Apparently I should work on my lows more.

The hurting myself thing was an exaggeration, I was just trying to go through my range as comfortably as possible. Sometimes when I try to add extra to it I mess up. Didn't want to do that for a basic recording.
Definitely sounds like falsetto to me. I'm fairly new to having a usable head voice, but I recognize it enough to say with certainty that what you're doing is not head voice, and is in fact falsetto. Also, I wouldn't necessarily say that your lows need much work. As far as fried notes go, yours could be a lot worse.

Regardless though, Ghast's tips for using head voice were pretty much spot-on. In my experience, once you know what head voice sounds like and what it feels like to use it (having resonance buzzing up in the top of your head), it becomes easier and easier to switch into and maintain it.
My Gear

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser

Peavey 5150

Shure SM57

M-Audio Fast Track

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor (3.20 GHz)

Reaper
I see. Thanks for the responses. Now I know and I can't work on it.

Is it safe to say that any time you can feel the note in your head, that it is head voice? And that if you feel it sort of in your throat that it is falsetto?
There's a big difference between the way people were taught what falsetto/head voice are. I was told by my choir teacher that it goes chest - head - falsetto, and here's how I came to understand them. Your chest voice is where you've got a lit of diaphragm mixed in, head where some of that power drops off, and your falsetto is where its all gone. Vocal pedagogy says that you hit your falsetto when you're vocal sound is just the mucus membranes touching, and not the actual fleshy part of the vocal chords I.e, where you can just barely, if even at all, 'feel' the note. I was told once by this kid I was jamming with, when giving a demonstration of my style singing, that I was cheating because I was singing falsetto. He hadn't the same definitions of both, but he was wrong anyway because I was in the chest voice area the whole time. Falsetto is also the point where you can't vary the vocal tone as much as you can in the either two ranges. Brian Johnson of AC/DC scream-sings in falsetto, while Bon Scott (RIP) Actually got the same range in his upper chest to head voice.

So, remember, you can feel falsetto by barely feeling anything at all, or by just feeling a resonation in your head. The other two ranges have some kind of feeling in your chest and throat. Some people's actual voices sound a LOT like a falsetto (Check out Jon Anderson of Yes), so asking others about your personal falsetto may actually be influenced or masked by your vocal timbre and the resonation of your voice.
*First post updated*

Thanks for the info. I always read about how people just know what their falsetto sound like, but I honestly can't tell a difference.

By the way, after warming up and trying the thinking about the head thing, I think I have found my headvoice. I am going to post a new clip doing a D2-D5 going by the fifths, and I like how it turned out. (I made sure I got the D2 in full voice, and hopefully I got the A4 and D5 in head voice.)

Note: I am putting two new files up, actually. The first is a try at D2-D5 when i had my mic turned back abit, for Ghast. Personally, I think I did a better job in the second one on the A4 and D5, so i'll put that one up as well if anyone is interested.

Also, I think I'm a bass. I'm only 15, but those lows sounded pretty low for me while my highs took way more effort. I always got the low notes, but I did like twenty takes to get the A4 and D5 out and they still sound meh.
Last edited by Mattofla at Jul 6, 2010,
I can tell you're getting really close to the mic because you want to to this quietly, rather than projecting the notes. It makes it a little hard to tell. It might be head voice, I thought I heard some upper harmonics, but I can't really be decisive about it. I'm a little inclined to think you might be using falsetto because you get to a certain point where you push it a little, and there's a break. Either way, it hardly makes a difference. At that level of volume and intensity, it sounds a little lame whether it's head voice or falsetto.

For me, I've never really found the head voice vs. falsetto thing to be a pertinent issue. If it sounds cool, it sounds cool.
It's a headset with a mic on it, besides pushing the mic up a little all I could do to make it quieter was to take the headset and put it on the desk while I stand across the room...

I like whatever i was doing last night whenever I made the clips, so I need to work on finding it again. I would like to know what happened on the D5 on the second clip. Was I just kind of unstable with it so it went in and out of being controlled and made a strange sound?

Thanks for the answers.
Hey,

The new clips (whichever ones you have up now) sound like head voice to me.

There's a really useful YouTube video available that helped me in distinguising between the two. Here it is.

EDIT: Also, I really recommend checking out Brett Manning's vocal lessons (that's the guy in the video is Brett Manning by the way.) They've been really helpful to me. Another great voice teaching YouTube channel is Eric Arceneaux's.
Last edited by minichibi at Jul 6, 2010,
Quote by Mattofla
Is it safe to say that any time you can feel the note in your head, that it is head voice? And that if you feel it sort of in your throat that it is falsetto?
Nope. In fact you can feel any register in your throat. It will feel different in your throat though.

Falsetto, like head voice, resonates in your head. In fact the term "head voice" is often mistaken to mean falsetto. The fundamental difference is the vibration of the vocal folds. In the modal range (chest/head), the whole fold vibrates, whereas in falsetto, only the edge of it does.

Modal range:

Falsetto:

A good way to tell when you hit falsetto is you can feel a little flip when you transition into falsetto.

Sing as high as you can. This should be falsetto. If you start to sing down a scale from there, you'll eventually hit a point where you transition into the modal register. you should be able to tell where that point is.

The modal register on most people is about two octaves, whereas the falsetto goes about an octave higher. That rough "measurement" of sorts may help you a bit.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Thanks for the links. Hopefully the more I try to work that area the easier it gets to find the head voice. Currently it takes me a good amount of warming up before I can even access that area. :/

Thanks for the advice. I'm starting to notice the difference in how they feel. Also, the pictures make me feel funny.
I've heard 100 conflicting explanations, the one I last heard was that the modal register should always combine the chest and head voices, and thinking of the head voice as a seperate register is bollocks. Is this remotely accurate?
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
^that's true yeah, but with most singers especially beginners or just anyone who hasn't learned to blend the two well they will only be able to sing in either a very chest-heavy voice or a light, almost falsetto-like head voice without being able to connect the two.

so while they are both just different sides of your modal voice, they will definitely feel like two separate registers until you learn to blend them together.

BTW TC, I'm not sure about that high D but the notes below that do sound like a light head voice to me. I would've thought they were falsetto until I heard the way you transitioned, I used to make the same sound when transitioning between the two. It's not that really obvious falsetto crack but there's still a little hiccup since you haven't completely smoothed over that bridge yet.

What's actually happening as you get higher in your range and transition into a less chesty and more head-dominant register is you're meant to start utilizing a different muscle in your larynx to go higher instead of just stretching the same one until you strain. You've still got a little break there but that's just because you haven't learned to smoothe out that bridge so that the new muscle group takes strain off the other one smoothly. Just about everyone has that problem, give it time =D

lip trill are really helpful, as well as that sharp nay nay nay exercise on long scales.
Yeah, i'm not sure where the High D came from. May have just been a good day for me.

Thanks for the tips. I've been neglecting the basic exercises lately in favor of just trying to get songs sounding right, but I'll start doing a more 50/50 practice session.