Hey, my local pawnshop claims to have a Gibson Les Paul Supreme for $1000??
I know what you are thinking...but Im gonna stop in tomorrow to check it out, and I want to know how I can tell for sure that its real? Either they are trying to screw someone, or they have no idea what they have, if so, I want to jew them down on the price.

link
Usual Gibson Les Paul Supremes usually go for $3000 - $4000
I'm kind of concerned about the price. The cheapest Les Paul made by Gibson USA is $800 Which is the Les Paul Studio Faded...
It is probably either a Counterfiet Made in China, or they really want to get rid of it.

Heres some things to find out if a Gibson is fake

1. Headstock Angle is 17 Degrees. Gibson does this so that the strings don't go on top of the nut.
2. Make sure that the truss rod cover is 2 screws, not 3 like an epiphone.

These are the only two things to designate a fake Gibson without dismantling

If the manager lets you return it, do these following steps

1. Take off the truss rod cover and see if theres a metal nut

2. Take off the back cavity (knobs) and make sure theres no sloppy wiring

3. Take off the pickups make sure the pickup cavity is not painted black

Note: Gibson USA guitars are known for quality, and keeping their value so its most likely that you're not going to get a genuine Gibson USA
Last edited by SilverRock113 at Jul 5, 2010,
Usually, the dead give-away for fake Gibsons is the truss rod cover. If it has 3 screws, then it is fake. Check the Gibson logo on the headstock to make sure it's at the correct angle, as well as the headstock itself. Play the guitar. Usually you can tell whether or not it is real by how it plays. Lastly, write down the serial number and look it up later.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Quote by SilverRock113
Usual Gibson Les Paul Supremes usually go for $3000 - $4000
I'm kind of concerned about the price. The cheapest Les Paul made by Gibson USA is $800 Which is the Les Paul Studio Faded...
It is probably either a Counterfiet Made in China, or they really want to get rid of it.

Heres some things to find out if a Gibson is fake

1. Headstock Angle is 17 Degrees. Gibson does this so that the strings don't go on top of the nut.
2. Make sure that the truss rod cover is 2 screws, not 3 like an epiphone.

These are the only two things to designate a fake Gibson without dismantling

you mean besides looking for sloppy/incorrect inlay work, sloppy/incorrect neck joints, sloppy/incorrect carving, or cross referencing the serial numbers?

I could see that guitar going for that cheap, especially if the electronics are messed up (a $250 fix at most if you do it yourself) and they just assumed that it's totally wrecked, or if they just don't know anything at all about guitars and said "this is a Les Paul, they usually go for about a grand".
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Ask for the serial number on the guitar as well, also remember the price is for a used Gibson and not a new one. Also I'm sure the market for the guitar is very small and it would be hard to sell it for it's full value. If you're curious if it's a fake, just play it. If it feels and sounds like a Gibson, chances are it's a Gibson. If there's something about it that feels weird (out of balance, string spacing, bad fret ends, etc) then it's a fake.

Look for the stuff mentioned above as well. Get a picture of the headstock and compare it very closely to other Supreme's and double check the serial to make sure it belongs to a Supreme. They have the headstock logo chopped off in the picture so who knows...
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I see rosewood. Fake.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
I see rosewood. Fake.

Now that you say that, the guitar in question has the wrong knobs and there isn't binding on the body
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

FAKE. The knobs are black(that could be a very useless mod) and there's something about it that's just not right...
I'm guessing 95% (if not 100%) of pawn shops know the value of guitars nowadays because of Ebay. I'd be surprised to find any great deals out there. Great ie. $1000 guitar (used market value) for $150.
Quote by Way Cool JR.
The knobs are the wrong ones/color it's a fake Look for real signs not what knobs are on it maybe the position of them but not what kind.

Yes, but the fact they're not the correct knobs could mean other things on the guitar have been modified jackass. And certain simple mods on other guitars would be a pain on that one (such as the controls pots or something since there isn't an access panel). And since the price is kinda low, it makes you wonder what's been done to it...
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

It looks fake to me. I don't believe they made white LP Supremes, and the tune-o-matic looks like it isn't angled at all. Also, as someone said, it has a rosewood fretboard; it would have an ebony fretboard if it was real.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by Flux'D
Yes, but the fact they're not the correct knobs could mean other things on the guitar have been modified jackass. And certain simple mods on other guitars would be a pain on that one (such as the controls pots or something since there isn't an access panel). And since the price is kinda low, it makes you wonder what's been done to it...

They probably think its fake and they're hoping to sell it to someone who doesn't know much about Gibson guitars...

Why wouldn't there be a control cavity? That's just fail. How would you even replace the pots on that?
I'm going to call fake. The cutaway looks dodgy, the bridge looks off, and what leaped out to me was the positioning of the knobs. It might be the angle or lack of pickguard, but they don't look like they're in the right position.

Check it out and check for things you can't do in a picture, worst thing that could happen is that it's a fake after all.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
The top and back of a Supreme are maple caps and they route the control cavity in the mahogany core. They install the controls then put the rear cap on
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

There are a few Supremes that were made in arctic white w/ black binding, and who can really tell with that bad picture. I noticed the knobs right away too, but then again...they are only knobs. I will find out tomorrow, I just don't really have $1000 to blow on another guitar right now, but if its real then I can flip it on eBay. I'd be surprised as hell if it was indeed real though, considering some of the prices ive seen in this shop before.

Here is a quick side by side comparison I put together.
Bridge looks spaced incorrectly, headstock angle not enough, knobs spaced incorrectly, im not gonna comment on any colors issues, since that can all be lighting. But with the previous being said, im pretty sure its a fake.
I'd contact the pawn shop so they can contact the guy that sold it to them. Just being a good person.
Excellent job, though.
Yeah, its fake. The knobs arent positioned properly, have a look at the neck-most knob, its way to far away from the others. That and everything else people have mentioned.
Thanks for all the input, its always fun picking apart real-fake guitars w/ the possibility of someday finding a great deal!!
So i went and took a look at it today, just for the heck of it. It was alpine white with the black binding. Gold was pretty rough looking though. Once I flipped it over and saw the flat back and cavity cover I said "yeah, just as I though, too good to be true" Handed it back and walked out. The first salesman I talked to sounded rather annoyed that the guitar was still there and the second one wasn't surprised that I quickly passed on it. I think they screwed over by someone...lol. Plus they wanted $700 for a used and badly abused Pearl Export 5 piece, shells only!! what a joke...
Oh well, you tried. Some deals are just too good to be true
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

I might not know much about how to tell the difference in most (I'm not as big a guitar freak as others on here haha) However, one thing I do know about the Gibson Les Pauls is that the real ones are actually quite heavy, and the fakes are significantly lighter than the real ones. Give it a trial and see how it feels.
Quote by :Vicious--
banned cuz you have succesfully wasted my time. you must pay

Quote by Metal Axe
Banned because you may waste my time

Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned because yes, you may waste my time.

May I waste your time too