Hey Pit, I just bought a 13" macbook pro a couple days ago and I'd like to use it to just goof around with some recordings. My friends bought me some awesome Bose speakers and headphones to go with it for my birthday, however, my macbook only has one jack that acts as both an input and output jack. Therefore, if my guitar is plugged in for recording purposes I can only use the crappy built in speakers to listen to the playback instead of my epic Bose ones.
My question is, if I bought a headphone jack splitter would the computer allow me to run both the speakers and the guitar at the same time, or would it just not allow both input and output to run at the same time? If anyone has any other ideas please feel free to share them.

DISCLAIMER: This thread is not for Mac/ PC bashing, I own both and I like both of them equally. If you hate one or the other please share those opinions elsewhere.

Thanks,

- Kyle
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
The input/output is a software option, so I'd assume the splitter would only allow two recordings or two output devices. My advice would be to get a USB recording device of some kind.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I own a mac and I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about but I highly suggest you look into getting a usb audio interface. That way you can plug your headphones into the headphone jack and plug your guitar into the audio interface and connect it to your computer via usb. Your recordings will also sound a lot better.
I was thinking about the USB audio interface, can you give me a few suggestions with prices?

The reason I didn't put this in the Recordings forum is there's about 20 people in there and I probably wouldn't get a reply. There's an average of 200 people in the electric guitar thread and it takes about an hour to get more than 5 replies per thread.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Quote by kyle100
I was thinking about the USB audio interface, can you give me a few suggestions with prices?

The reason I didn't put this in the Recordings forum is there's about 20 people in there and I probably wouldn't get a reply. There's an average of 200 people in the electric guitar thread and it takes about an hour to get more than 5 replies per thread.

Yes, but those 20 people are experienced and know their shit.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by kyle100

It depends entirely on what your looking for, how many inputs and outputs do you want for example, do you want to be able to plug MIDI cables into it, will you only be using trs cables (regular guitar cable), or will you also be using XLR cables (typically used for mics), etc. Anyways I highly suggest looking into ones made by M-Audio, they make good quality audio interfaces and are all compatible with macs.
You wanna get a proper audio interface for recording.

EDIT: Just finished reading the thread. I am useless.