Im thinking about getting a second guitar. I already have an old Jackson RR3 From the original Professional series and I'm really happy with it, great guitar. But I'm wanting to play in 2 or 3 different tunings and the Floyd Rose on the Jackson makes it an absolute bitch to switch tunings.

I really like the Eclipse body style and was originally interested in the 401 because I wanted a glossy black finish as well. But I HATE emgs. So the 256 is the highest model with a gloss black finish(albeit it's "worn") and passives. I'm wondering about any construction/ wood quality/reliability/ playability concerns that might come with this guitar.

Thanks,
Van
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

well if u wanted it and didnt care about it being black u could get the ec-1000as amber sunburst
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by SilverRock113
Well its great,
plus they're not "EMGs" they're actually "ESPs" which i hate IMO

In the OP I said the ones on the 401 are EMGs. Which they are.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by SilverRock113
Well its great,
plus they're not "EMGs" they're actually "ESPs" which i hate IMO

He says the ESP LTD 401 has EMG's which is does not ESP pickups.
You haven't said anything about a budget. Why not just get a 401, or a 1000, and replace the pickups?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
You haven't said anything about a budget. Why not just get a 401, or a 1000, and replace the pickups?

From what I've heard from a couple folks on UG. Some companies that build EMGs active into their guitars stock, don't install the bridge ground wire. Which is necessary for a passive pup. I don't know if this is the case with LTD. But I really don't see the point in buying a much nicer/ way more expensive guitar and then immediately have to start dicking around with buying, installing, and drilling for a part that should come stock.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

theres no drilling involved with pickup swaps (unless you are converting your humbucker to p90s....)

all the wires comes with the pickups

getting a guitar just for the paintjob may be a mistake you regret down the road, think about getting the EC 400 or EC 1000 over the cheaper 256 builds

i would really consider the EC 1000 sunburst/silver if you must have passive pickups stock.

or get a EC 400 and swap then sell the EMGs to buy passives.

also, switch to a different Les Paul manufacterer for passives if the LTD line of EMGs is not compatible. almost all of LTD's 300+ range is all EMGs now. so downgrading the quality if you can afford it is not a great idea.

the LTD EC 1000 if anything gave you great value by including a guitar that is already routed for humbuckers(which avoids "drilling" on your part) and EMGs. EMG can actually be pretty expensive compared to a standard SD passive pickup.

i think you need to research a lot more
Last edited by iampeter at Jul 5, 2010,
Yeah, look for older models. Like the 200/250 range (I don't know the numbers for the EC's), they come with the ESP LH-301 pickups that are coil tapped - if you bought new pickups, you'd have them, and if you wire them up the same way, boom, new pickups, with coil tap as a bonus.

EDIT: I just remembered that they're made out of agathis though - but if that doesn't bother you, then yeah.

Otherwise... more research, like said above. Find out the older EC's that have been made. There may be something that suits what you want. ebay and google are your friends.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 5, 2010,
You might be able to find some older LTD's in black with passives used (as has been stated). There is one that comes to mind immediately, the ec-400AT.

I'm assuming the 256 will be a fine guitar so I say go for it if you can't find a used EC in black with passives.

I'd also consider going for the new 401VF which has SD passives and has better tuners than the 256. Yes its not black but you'll be getting a better quality guitar than the 256.