I just got an Egnater Tweaker head from musiciansfriend. It was described as used but in "like new" condition. I plugged it in to start playing with it for the first time, and I heard this crackling, staticy sound. I've uploaded an MP3 of it in my profile (the only MP3 I've put up). I'm assuming it's just defective, but I wanted to ask here to see if anyone has an idea.

If it helps, that's with the amp set to clean and the master at about 1:00. The MP3 kinda makes it sound like this is a subtle problem, but I think the mic just didn't catch it well--the crackling is actually pretty damn loud.
Last edited by coquet at Jul 5, 2010,
Faulty cable? Does it happen more when you move around? If so then its definately a faulty cable.
Quote by kacper_j
Faulty cable? Does it happen more when you move around? If so then its definately a faulty cable.

I don't think so. I tried it with two different guitar cables, but the problem persists with both. Also, the cables work fine with a different amp. As for the speaker cable, I only have one, but it's brand spanking new, and nothing changes when I move it around.
Sounds like a tube problem to me. Check to see if any of the tubes are microphonic... you can do that by lightly tapping them with a pencil head or something like that. That's what I'd check first but be careful doing this as tubes are potentially deadly... If you don't feel comfortable I'd take it into an amp tech and they can sort you out really quick.

See it might not be the amp at all, and just the tubes. If it's the tubes you can replace those without replacing the amp.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Zamorak
Sounds like a tube problem to me. Check to see if any of the tubes are microphonic... you can do that by lightly tapping them with a pencil head or something like that. That's what I'd check first but be careful doing this as tubes are potentially deadly... If you don't feel comfortable I'd take it into an amp tech and they can sort you out really quick.

See it might not be the amp at all, and just the tubes. If it's the tubes you can replace those without replacing the amp.

Thanks for the advice, but if there is a problem with this amp, it's going right back to musiciansfriend. They advertised it was "like new," and I don't plan on paying to fix it if it's not.
Before doing anything radical, try cleaning things. Pull out the valves one at a time, spray some contact cleaner on the pins and slide them in and out of the socket a few times. Do the same thing with any jacks you are using - guitar jack included.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification