Whenever I look at a guitar magazine, I'll always find the Gibson brand in there somewhere and I wonder just what is so special about these guitars that give them such a high end price, I've read that they are constructed with better materials, ive tried a les paul once and it sounded pretty good, but there must be something else that make them worth such a pretty penny.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by metallicafoevaa at Jul 5, 2010,
For the most part they're hand made as opposed to machine made as well..

But IMO I can't find anything to justify buying anything other than a Studio Faded LP, or a Gibson SG Special.. Even then it's like "Eh" when I play one.
like most music gear generally speaking - the more you spend on it, the better its going to sound. i've got quite a few guitars and nothing sounds like my les paul (subsequently nothing sounds like my other guitars either which is why i got them)

the value of something is what you place on it as an individual, my les paul cost me almost 3 g's and it was worth every penny.
They're marked up by the stores for a profit.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Traditional-Pro-Electric-Guitar?sku=581715

Guitar Center pays all of $1,200 for these. That's a 75% markup, and a $2,400 profit if they go a day and sell nothing but three of these. They make very good guitars if you go through their QC to find a gem, but they are overpriced. That said though, as I often say, "If something is what you want, it's never overpriced, just expensive." If you want that nice Les Paul, then it's not outrageously priced.

My advice would be to get a summerjob at either Guitar Center or their beginner-and-classical-instrument subsidary, Music & Arts, and use a temporary employee discount to buy one at cost + 2% if you want one.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jul 5, 2010,
Quote by Dodeka
It's all in that Gibson logo on the headstock.

same for prs' and taylors too?
Quote by z4twenny
same for prs' and taylors too?

Can't say. I don't know much about PRS or Taylor guitars.
Quote by griffRG7321
Strats > Les Pauls

im not a fan of fenders, i find strats too jangly/bright (too much high end) generally. some of the high end strats sound and play pretty good but still, not enough oomph for me. a friend of mine has a showmaster that sounds really good (and i'll probably use it for some clean recording)

Quote by Dodeka
Can't say. I don't know much about PRS or Taylor guitars.

they're expensive too, but im sure its all just in the name. undoubtedly the tone the instrument produces has nothing at all the do with it

im wondering if you've played a nice gibson through a decent amp or a low end les paul copy through a turd amp
Last edited by z4twenny at Jul 5, 2010,
Quote by z4twenny
im wondering if you've played a nice gibson through a decent amp or a low end les paul copy through a turd amp

I have an Explorer and Les Paul Custom. The Explorer sounds great and plays decently, but the LP is so-so in both departments (I like the 498T in the LP a tad better than the 500T in the Explorer, though). I've played plenty of others, as well. The quality tends to be hit or miss. Then there's the price, which has greatly outpaced inflation (a LP Custom was between $700 and $800 in the mid-'80s, which is about $1600 today).
Last edited by Dodeka at Jul 5, 2010,
^ so you don't like the pickups? maybe i just have unerringly good luck with gibsons as both my explorer and les paul sound and play awesomely. in fact i got my les paul after playing a couple and plugging one in i thought "thats what they sound like in pro recordings, i'm getting this one"

edit: im pretty sure mines a '55 reissue. maybe yours uses different pickups? i guess maybe im just not understanding what people find wrong with them.

after looking around i'm pretty sure it's the pickups. the first thing i did was replace those 500t's on my explorer with emg's and my les paul came with a nice set of humbuckers, i'd bet money that if you replaced your pickups with a better set you'd get a better sound out of it.
Last edited by z4twenny at Jul 5, 2010,
Quote by z4twenny
^ so you don't like the pickups?

The 500T in the Explorer is a just a little harsh/trebly for me. The 498T is a touch mellower and works pretty well.
@Dodeka

I was surprised at how big of a difference the sound was between a 500T in a V and a 498T on an LP. I had to roll back the tone a little bit on the V, but in the LP it was just fine at 10.

There's a vintage shop down by my house... they have a collection of Gibson LP's from the 60's worth about $250,000 for all 4. They're projected to be worth $500,000 in 10 years. That says something about Gibsons.
Quote by Dodeka
The 500T in the Explorer is a just a little harsh/trebly for me. The 498T is a touch mellower and works pretty well.

fair enough, i recommend checking into what kind of pickups work best for the sound you're going for then. i was thinking you were talking about the quality of the guitar itself (bad fretwork,bodywork etc) the stock pickups on most gibsons aren't super awesome (the stock pickups on quite a few guitars are so-so at best) i will say i've not preferred all the pickups on the gibson models and got lucky with the les paul i got as the pickups in it have a nice big full warm sound.
Quote by griffRG7321
Strats > Les Pauls

Go away. Seriously.
Yes, part of the cost is in the name. However, Gibson guitars are so popular and expensive because they make some of the finest guitars in the world. Their quality control might be off, but their guitars are still amazing. That's why some of the most famous guitarists use them. They are hand made with the best woods, the best pickups, and the best hardware. Though some of their guitars are awfully overpriced and are quite frankly, stupid. Don't be all that surprised if you find some bad Gibson's though, cause they are out there. Each and every guitar they make is different, same with any other guitar company.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Quote by Dodeka
It's all in that Gibson logo on the headstock.

Well that isnt all though the Gibson logo does cause a pretty nice sized chunk of the price tag with most of there guitars. They are quality guitars but overall I think Gibson is heavily overrated. Most of the big name companies mark up there prices quite a bit just cause of there logo but the are quality too. But I just do not see any reason to pay 2k for a guitar even if god himself crafted it.
Then by happy with an average guitars.

Any high end guitar will cost at least 3k and up.
Gibson custom just operates under the assumption that no one is gonna want a bright pink 58 with red binding and purple frets, and sparkly inlays.
So they just have the standard specs available. A prs, Anderson, suhr, thorn, collings, fender cs are all that much. Some are more worth it then others but none of them have a 2k markup. That's just cray cray ignorance talk.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer