Page 1 of 2
I decided my next build will be a "Curbside" build made of free wood found on the side of the road. Here's what I've got...

An old building in town was throwing away an old frame and panel door. I took it apart and sanded off the finish. I believe it's douglas fir:

I plan to make to body and neck out of that.

Next, somebody was throwing away a table that was missing a leg. I thought it had an interesting grain pattern, so I grabbed it. No idea what kind of wood it is. Anyone recognize this species? I'm going to use it as the top.

Sanded:

I also have a piece of left-over maple trim from my new kitchen cabinets that I'll use as the fretboard.

I consider this an experimental build since I have no ideal how well this wood will work as a guitar. I haven't come up with a design yet either....so any suggestions from you guys will be very much appreciated.
[thread="1285220"]First Build - Zebrawood Tele[/thread]
[thread="1288529"]Second Build[/thread]
[thread="1334385"]Curbside Build[/thread]
douglas fir is VERY soft, idk if it will work for a neck. i have hardwood floors made of it and my dog has scratched the hell out of them, like deep groves.
Quote by Roc8995
Changing strings on a bigsby is alarmingly similar to flossing the teeth of a pissed-off sabertooth tiger while blindfolded.
If you do decide to use that wood for the neck, i suggest dual carbon fiber supports along with the truss rod.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Fir could work for the body. Tele's were originally pine. I wouldn't worry just over the fact that it's soft. The table does have a cool grain pattern. I'd hold out for something stronger for the neck. OR you can try and reinforce the hell out of it. Truss rod and graphite rods might do it.
this shall be interesting
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
I've read that although douglas fir is classified as a softwood, it's actually harder than many hardwoods. It also has a high bending strength and stiffness. Can anyone verify from the pictures that it actually is douglas fir? It was my closest guess from grain pictures I found online.

Thanks for the suggestions about reinforcing with carbon fiber. I might do that.

Can anyone identify the tabletop wood species?
Wow, this seems interesting, you need to make your own pickups or something, make them look really ghetto, you know, tuna can bobbins and whatnot.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
I also realize this won't be the prettiest guitar, but I thought it would be a fun low-cost experiment.
+1 for the idea,

i find it very interesting actually, this is a pretty good idea in my opinion lol
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
Well, I decided on a design. I wanted to include features that I haven't done on my first two builds. Here's what I've come up with:

LP style w/ carved top
P90 pickups
TOM bridge w/ string through
Semi-hollow with HANDGRENADE shaped "f-hole"
Binding on body, fretboard, and headstock.
Haven't decided if I want to do fretboard inlay or not.

Here's a mockup of what I plan to do:

That's the most badass F hole I've seen.
Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Schecter 006 Deluxe
BC Rich Revenge Warlock
Jasmine Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by Handgrenade
Well, I decided on a design. I wanted to include features that I haven't done on my first two builds. Here's what I've come up with:

LP style w/ carved top
P90 pickups
TOM bridge w/ string through
Semi-hollow with HANDGRENADE shaped "f-hole"
Binding on body, fretboard, and headstock.
Haven't decided if I want to do fretboard inlay or not.

Here's a mockup of what I plan to do:

That looks sweeeeeeeeeet. And how did you mock that up? It doesn't look like kisakae (sp?). Did you photoshop it? Look's great anyways.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to say, I'm REALLY looking forward to following this. *subscribed*
Last edited by cjmabry at Jul 8, 2010,
Looks sick man. I hope you know you need to leave some wood around the pin
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Sick f hole idea
I'm offically stalking this one
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
Thanks guys.

I used a guitar designer website to make the guitar, then just photoshopped the grenade onto it. I think I used this website:
http://www.frankmontag.com/hobbys/custom_lp_style_guitar.htm
Since I'm at work and that site is blocked here, I'll have to confirm this when I get home.

Yeah, I plan on adding wood sections at the pin so the wood stays in place.

I have a lot of nice wood in my garage that I could make the neck out of (wenge, maple, walnut, afromosia, sepele), but I didn't want to use wood that I paid for...it would defeat the purpose of the build. If it ends up being a crappy guitar, then all that I've wasted was some binding, fretwire, a trussrod, and some finish. I can strip the hardware off and use it on another guitar. I'll get some good practice out of it, and then I'll be able to make one with really nice lumber.

But, who knows....maybe it'll end up being the best guitar I've ever played. That's really the fun of building these things.

edit: I can't find the handgrenade picture I used, I think my work computer is blocking it. Just type "grenade" into google images and look for it. It shouldn't be hard to find.

edit 2: apparently the grenade I used in the mockup is the logo for Grenade Gloves Inc.....so, I'll probably change it up a bit.
Last edited by Handgrenade at Jul 9, 2010,
Quote by Handgrenade
I decided my next build will be a "Curbside" build made of free wood found on the side of the road. Here's what I've got...

An old building in town was throwing away an old frame and panel door. I took it apart and sanded off the finish. I believe it's douglas fir:

I plan to make to body and neck out of that.

Next, somebody was throwing away a table that was missing a leg. I thought it had an interesting grain pattern, so I grabbed it. No idea what kind of wood it is. Anyone recognize this species? I'm going to use it as the top.

Sanded:

I also have a piece of left-over maple trim from my new kitchen cabinets that I'll use as the fretboard.

I consider this an experimental build since I have no ideal how well this wood will work as a guitar. I haven't come up with a design yet either....so any suggestions from you guys will be very much appreciated.
The table is Oak. Specifically, it's Tiger Oak, which is basically Oak that's been quarter-sawn.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
^^Thank you Shinozoku. Looks like that's exactly what it is. No more mystery wood.
No prob A friend of mine's house has all tiger oak door and window frames, and solid wood doors, one of which she has in the basement that I plan on cutting up into a guitar or two later on

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Updates:

-Rough cut the fir body and oak top.
-Scarf-jointed the neck.
-Thicknessed and slotted the maple fretboard.
-Tediously scroll-sawed out the grenade soundhole into the top.

Pics:

Yeah, that looks great

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
UPDATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been really taking my time on this build....ran into minor issues....but, it's all coming together nicely.

Unfortunately, I couldn't stick to my initial plan of having all free wood. While building the neck, it became obvious that the douglas fir tears-out extremely easily. Even when I was using sharp chisels on the end of the truss rod route long pieces of wood were coming off. Then, finally when I was routing the binding channel the corners of the headstock kept ripping right off. I tried gluing pieces back on but it kept ripping off so I gave up.

Here's how the douglas fir headstock ended up:

So, instead I decided to use a piece of hard maple I had.

Maple neck with scarf joint and truss rod channel:

Neck shaped, binding on the headstock, binding on the fretboard, fretboard blued to the neck:

Frets installed and dressed, back of the neck shaped:

Routed the neck pocket, routed pickup cavities, drilled bridge post holes, and string-through holes.

Monday I'll start the contouring and binding on the body. More pictures to come when I finish that.
Last edited by Handgrenade at Sep 11, 2010,
That F-hole's fantastic. Really good job. The binding on the neck's nice too. Nice contrast between the colours.

Overall.. I really like this build. Good job so far.
Sir, you are a guitar building god.
Your first build was cool, I'm not a big tele fan, but it looked great.
I loved your second build, that blue was amazing.

And I absolutely LOVE this guitar.
Your headstocks are just awesome, and the binding on this one just makes it 10 times better.

And the hand grenade sound hole is just great.
Gear so far:
Dean Vendetta XMT
Roland Microcube

Infiltrate the system and rot it from the inside-out.
You never cease to amaze me.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Thanks guys....I appreciate all the positive feedback.
Nice dude You using the oak for the top and fir for the back? Or vice versa?

Stupid name.

Hot damn that's impressive.

Just one question though . . . how are you going to carve the top without breaking those thin pieces of wood in the f-hole? Will you be angling it with a sander or grinder? Because I think a chisel would chip them out.
Quote by Shinozoku
Nice dude You using the oak for the top and fir for the back? Or vice versa?

Oak top with fir back.

Quote by cedricsmods
Hot damn that's impressive.

Just one question though . . . how are you going to carve the top without breaking those thin pieces of wood in the f-hole? Will you be angling it with a sander or grinder? Because I think a chisel would chip them out.

I'll be using an angle grinder and a random orbit sander.

One thing that I'm worried about is that you'll be able to see the varied thickness in the grenade cutout after I carve the top. I tried to carve a bowl in the top under the cutout, trying to match the carve I'll be doing on the top...but, since it's my first time, I played it save and left it thick. Next time I'll try to carve the top first, then carve the sound hole section of the back to give a consistent thickness, then cut out the sound hole.
Did the top carve this morning. Here's how she looks now:

Now, I need of some advice. I'm concerned about how the binding channel will turn out. I had problems with the binding on the douglas fir headstock, and the binding channel for the body is wide enough that it will cut into the fir back. I'm afraid I'll get more huge sections of tear-out. Now, it looks pretty good as it is...but I think the black binding would tie it all in together nicely. What do you guys think? Take the risk and try to route the binding channel? Or leave it as it is?
Last edited by Handgrenade at Sep 13, 2010,
Page 1 of 2