Ok, I am completely new to all of this recording stuff. I have no idea where to even begin.

I know that i want to mic my amp and record my songs that way.
But i have no idea where to begin. I do not want a line 6 pod live.
I am satisfied with the sound i have.

What software do i need. i want one that can record over the original recording that way it sounds like there is two guitars. i have windows xp.

Is there some sort of kit that i can buy that comes with everything i need, yet doesnt have shitty sound quality?

Any help from someone with experience would be greatly appreicatted.

Thanks guys
Alright!

First of all...if you wanna mic your amp, you'll need a mic. I suggest a Sm57 as you can get them dirt cheap when used. Check your local ads for that.
Second, for a software, id suggest Reaper. Its only $60 but you have a 30 days(bit more if you can't spend the money for now) trial. Its great for what it does AND it will help you learn how recording/mixing/blabla works!
And of course, you'll need something to connect your mic into so you can hook it up on your computer. Theres a lot of choices on this side but id suggest getting a little interface. Check out some presonus ones. 1 or 2 mics inputs would be enough for you i guess.
You can also check out this M-audio interface http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/M-Audio-Fast-Track-MKII-USB-Audio-Interface?sku=703669 . It comes with a recording softare(protools). Altough, this version of protools isnt that great. Kinda limited. You're better off going with Reaper.

Hope it helped.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Yeah guy above me pretty much got it. SM57, an interface and REAPER and you're set.
thanks guys, im gonna check all that out and see how bad its gonna hurt my wallet lol
Quote by sambot12
Well you could do it for half that price if you used amp software.

Right! even though i have a mesa recto, i mostly use my UX2 with podfarm. I love it. Im not into amp softwares but POD Farm is reaaaaally impressive!
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
I have a Marshall VS100 and it's a good amp, but I don't have a reamp box, so I would never have DIs if I used it to record. I use Revalver MkII and it sounds pretty awesome, although there are plenty of free ones that can be just as good or better if you know what you're doing.