What do you guys prefer and why?
And would 30W be good for a living room sized "semi-performance?"
don't ever even consider any MG, unless you get it for free or close to.

Valvetronix are decent amps, if you need versatility. Good at a lot of stuff, not amazing at any though.
Quote by Alex Vik
I haven't heard very promising things about the Crush series, but I owned (well, still do, but don't use) a Vox Valvetronix 15, and it was pretty nice for the money.

Are they any non-multifx amps under 300 dollaars. preferbably around 30 watts
Peavey Vypyrs and Vox Valvetronix are basically equal.

I wouldn't look past those as far as cheap SS/Hybrid amps go. Unless you want like an original Valvestate or maybe the grinding buzzsaw transistor distortion of a VH140 or something.
Quote by Tedward
Peavey Vypyrs and Vox Valvetronix are basically equal.

I wouldn't look past those as far as cheap SS/Hybrid amps go. Unless you want like an original Valvestate or maybe the grinding buzzsaw transistor distortion of a VH140 or something.

i've had bad experiences with Peavys
Peavey make some absolutly amazing amps, most of them are also pretty damn reliable, and you get a 5 year warranty, what kind of bad experiences have you had?

The Vox Valvetronix is a decent amp, it's not brilliant or anything but it gets the job done without any major flaws.

I agree that you should never even consider an MG unless you desperatly need an amp and somone is going to give you it for free.

Orange Crush amps are lame.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I forgot to say before that a 30 watt Vox VT30 might JUST cut it for a "room sized performance".

My AD50VT (the older valvetronix) was just loud enough for a talent show in a gymnasium with like 300 kids. Which is very surprising. I actually have a video of that show !!! It wasn't be proudest moment as a guitar player, back when I thought trem-picking == soloing. I've also played a show outdoors with maybe 100 people, and it was loud enough.

30 Tube watts would destroy a room full of peoples eardrums if you cranked it.
Quote by xpurpleblob

Could you be more specific? The Vox VT series is pretty good for what it is. They are surprisingly reactive to your guitar and pickups. They sounds good with single coils and can get pretty heavy (perhaps muddy if not tweaked properly) with a humbucker. It's not going to be quite as good as a tube amp, but it responds much more smoothly than a Spider imho. Don't rule out Peavey though. Bad stuff can (and will) happen to ANYTHING at some point.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Last edited by sg4ever at Jul 5, 2010,
I can highly reccomend you the vox. Ive had the valvetronix vt30 for about a year now and its great. I really like marshalls and I also was trying to choose between these amps. I checked them both out and the the vox ended up being much better. You can get any tone out of it you want and its really versatile from cleans to probably even metal. The hardest thing I play is metallica so i wouldn't know if it was good for metal, (if thats even your style.) But hey just go up to your local guitar store and try them both out.
Quote by xpurpleblob

Show me on the doll where it touched you:

But seriously, OP, what's your budget?

And what styles of music do you play?

The Vypyrs take pedals very well, and so do the Valvetronix amps.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??