Just now I realized that I wrote a riff that sounds similar to something that's already made, but not too similar, but I know what it is. What do? It's not similar enough that anyone else would notice it but I feel kinda dirty and I don't want to accustom myself to being a thief. I don't want this to lead to anything else so I might as well just throw it away. I know it sounds silly that I'd even worry this way about some stupid riff I created, b but it felt really weird when I figured out where I heard a similar thing first. I don't want to end up like Zeppelin.
just use the new riff in the old song, stick it in there somewhere. im the same way, if i write a riff i feel like ive already written i'll stick it into that song somewhere. that way you can keep the sweet new riff and not have to worry about your songs sounding too similar or feeling like you're ripping yourself off.
Don't worry man that's happened to me before. It all depends on a few things. 1. How similar is it? Play it to a few friends and see what they think. 2. If it sounds similar to a popular well known riff then you might want to change it. If it's just from a little known band then you should be ok though it still kinda isn't right. Maybe you can find a way to change it a bit. If you pay attention, alot of rock songs share similar things.
Quote by Dream Floyd
I wore a Justin Bieber shirt to one of my gigs once. I then ripped it off and burned the shirt. One of the most metal things I've ever done.

Quote by Paith
and that thing is super sexy......like megan fox sexy.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Since when has asking the pit counted as research?
If it's not too similar you can still distinguish the song through it's vocal melody.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
It's gallery of suicide by Cannibal Corpse. Even though it sounds different...I don't know. I'm just really paranoid. It sounds different but I feel like side by side you could hear the similarities in that opening riff and the general tone of it. It's not note by note or anything. It's more like rhythm of that little chord thing at the beginning and the chord that held.

Kind of dundun dundun dundun dunnnn dundun dundun dundun dunnnn except mine doesn't sound as spooky and goes down the neck on the second part. You'd have to hear the song.

EDIT; Okay, vocal melody and theme of the song is totally different.
Last edited by Toniofalcon at Jul 5, 2010,
When most people write music, they write in their comfort zone.

Which usually consists of a certain time signature, chord progression type, resolution to a certain scale degree, and other stylistic elements which make all their music sound the same.

Make an effort to leave your "comfort zone" by pre-planning these elements. Decide before composing whether you're going to write music that's major, minor, or modal. Force yourself to use a time signature you don't usually use. Use note values and patterns of tonal motion that you're not used to; start your phrases at different metrical positions, and focus on creating unique/original rhythm patterns.

Making a conscious decision to think about these things will ensure that you create a wide variety of sounds.

Edit: I just realized I completely misunderstood what you were saying. My bad. I thought you wrote something similar to something else you'd written. Well, that was a waste of writing.
Last edited by illmatic2594 at Jul 5, 2010,
lol, you dont want to end up like zeppelin

anyway, if it is coincidence and you like your job keep it
if it is not coincidence throw it away
if you hate the song because of that, throw it
"Ninja Tattoo" by Shanadoo sounds completely identical to "I'm Over You" by E-Rotic, aside from the lyrics. After looking up Shanadoo on Wikipedia, it turns out that they've done lots of covers of E-Rotic's music for the Japanese market.

overcoming panic attacks
Quote by c_foster88
What's your riff? Can you tab it out?

While tuned a whole step down.
--------------3 --- 3 ----3---- 3
----------4---- 4 ----4 --------3

On the highest pitched strings with chord at the end ringing out. After that I play the same thing down on the 6th fret ( which is nothing like gallery of suicide )
alot of artists use other bands as influences when they write music. theres nothing wrong with using Cannibal Corpse as an influence. It's only a simple riff so it's fine.
Quote by Dream Floyd
I wore a Justin Bieber shirt to one of my gigs once. I then ripped it off and burned the shirt. One of the most metal things I've ever done.

Quote by Paith
and that thing is super sexy......like megan fox sexy.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Since when has asking the pit counted as research?